Sydney City (And Surrounds) Vet Recommendation

Hi there,

I will be picking up my first Weimaraner in a couple months and trying to find a vet that is well versed in Weimaraners or similar breeds. I'm in Alexandria (just south of the city) so ideally would like a vet close by, however I won't mind traveling a little further afield for the right vet. Any recommendations?

Cheers.

Can I suggest NOT Sydney Animal Hospital in Erskineville. I know someone who was happy with the care they received there (was specific to a vet I believe) but my experiences were not so good.

I have heard good things about "Benny & the Pets" which has 2 locations Belmore and Kogarah. We are not customers though.

For routine stuff we go to Erskineville Animal Hospital but we usually ring up and find out which vet(s) are on before we go down there.

Also, if it is an emergency we are straight to SASH in North Ryde.

Benny from Benny and the Pets is an awesome vet... amazing with all breeds IMO...

My friend who breeds and shows Weimeraners usues Rob Zammit at Vineyard Vet... but that's a pretty hefty drive from Alexandria... errr!

T.

I lived in Marrickville and Benny always looked like a good option.

We used Petersham vets (sometimes listed as Pet vets) - Glen was great and looked after us, and my Aunts dog before us for well over 16 years. My biggest gripe with them was there was they used locums on Sundays and I almost always ended up there on the weekend.

I also know someone with Weims who uses Zammit - but it is a hike.

For a while before we swapped to Glen at pet vets we were driving back out to Dundas but it was just too hard in an emergency or for something little. So after our old dog passed we found a new vet - which is how we settled on Glen.

So ends the story of Scottsmums vet history.

Can I suggest NOT Sydney Animal Hospital in Erskineville. I know someone who was happy with the care they received there (was specific to a vet I believe) but my experiences were not so good.

Same. :( I was distraught the last time we left and have never been back.

I can PM you a couple if you like but Rob Zammit is known for working with purebreds.

The Petersham vet is a Greencross.

In an emergency your closest vet is the Sydney Uni which is open 24/7.

If you want large breed experienced and bloat familiar then head to Pennant Hills Vet Hospital and see Dr Ian Murdoch. It would be about 30 mins straight up the freeway and M2. I would suggest that he has seen more large breeds than the average surburban vet and owns a giant himself. His hospital is set up for big dogs ie a decent size crate etc

Thanks guys :) Appreciate all the advice. I'll look up Drs. Zammit and Murdoch. Sounds like Syd Uni will be the go-to for emergencies, although I will check out the suggested Annandale and Petersham vets.

The Petersham vet is a Greencross.

Nah. Or wasn't 12 months ago. You're thinking of a slightly different one.

Glen Kovac

https://www.facebook.com/PetershamVets/

As I said - they've cared for pets in my family for at least 16 years.

But only suggesting as they're local and I've used them. Not from a weim or big dog point of view. and they def. loose points for having locums on Sundays - but hey - you gotta have a break sometimes.