Principles Of Selective Inbreeding By W.a Watmough

asal

Found this link, no idea about the year of publication

Of particular interest is the Chapter 8, titled Taints

http://web.archive.org/web/20080314202407/http://www.netherworld.com/~cowboy/SelectiveInbreedingMenu.html

and this comment by a bird breeder sums up his experience

Too much to read just now.....so I'll just make a couple of observations....In horses : when done well....it works well....it simply limits the gene pool to either favourable or unfavourable outcomes....or a mixture of both. You need to know your lines well.

In Birds : I bred Colour mutations in Gouldian Finches & Neophema Parrots. Many new colour genes are recessive, thus seemingly pop out of nowhere as nobody keeps pedigrees, except myself......other than a couple of generations. When they do occur, the majority inbreed (Father to daughter, mother to son & brother to sister to give the best chance of breeding the mutation. Alongside that is a major failing in all breeders systems & that is the "Hospital cage" & all sorts of medications for sick birds....I learned early that these birds got sick again, failed to breed or died....very heartbreaking....so I decided to use "natural selection" ( now this is not for the queezy or fanatical "lovers" of all living things), but when I had a sick bird...I euthanased it. Now....guess what....my birds stopped dying, they bred frequently & prolifically into old age......AD this to the inbreeding & we had birds with very poor survival rates & birds that never bred or did so unsuccessfully. This led to the talk that mutations were weak & certain species were weak....what was weak was their management.

Hope that little ramble is of interest."

Edited by asal

Yes interesting.I bred birds for over 30 years and avoided inbreeding them and noted in the breed club i was in others often inbred to the point of birds unable to breed and an increase in Epilepsy.

I wonder if problems such as Epilepsy in dogs is related in any way to breeding closely related dogs.