Heartworm, Intestinal Worms And Flea Treatments

Kjn

I think I saw recently that it's no longer being made, unless that was heartguard.

I think you might be right PK; I can find heart guard in most places, but I don't really want to give my dogs an all wormer every month. Bummer!!!!!

Bumping this thread.... I've been using Valuheart for Heartworm but none of my usual suppliers seem to stock it anymore.

I was wondering what everybody else was using? I'm not keen on products that cover everything...

you are from Sydney?...Sydney and the Illawarra still has a few nights per week when the temperature drops below 14 deg C, hence there is no chance that the microfilariae in the mosquito would become transmittable (they have to stay for two weeks to six weeks - depending on the temperature - in the mosquito to develop to the stage where they become dangerous). A short period of temperatures below 14 deg C and the larval lifecycle ceases entirely!....so if you don't travel to warmer regions there is no need at all to administer any Heartworm product....transmittal of the disease - as it requires the mosquito and very specific temperature windows - is just not possible in our area at the moment! Administering a heartworm drug is therefore not only a waste of money, but would expose the dog to unnecessary negative side effects too.

ETA: ...the above is valid for the current climate conditions here in the Illawarra and Sydney area - in the summer months there is of course a possibility that this disease is transmittable and when administration of a heartworm drug has it's merits.

Edited by Willem

PK and Gruff, I know it shows on the vet n pet direct site but looking closely, it says out of stock. I've asked to be notified when it's back a while back, but have never heard anything.

Off to budget pet products now!

PK, out of curiousity do you use anything for Malcolm?

Willem, I'm all for using less chemicals, but that's one of the things our vet keeps on saying we should be on top of. Dogs and I are regularly bitten by mosquitoes...

And fleas are a pain here too; I guess it goes with the climate and high density living

I do, but I know some will think I'm overloading him with chemicals. :o

I use Interceptor Spectrum, which includes worms. I like that it treats up to 4kg weight, and he's 4kg tops, whereas others are "treats up to 10" which seems like too much. It also gets all the worms in one vs. trying to piece together a greater array of products.

Currently using Advantix for fleas + ticks but I want to switch to Nexguard when I run out for greater tick coverage and less mess.

And I agree, there's no way in hell I'm messing around with heartworm. :eek:

PK and Gruff, I know it shows on the vet n pet direct site but looking closely, it says out of stock. I've asked to be notified when it's back a while back, but have never heard anything.

Off to budget pet products now!

PK, out of curiousity do you use anything for Malcolm?

Willem, I'm all for using less chemicals, but that's one of the things our vet keeps on saying we should be on top of. Dogs and I are regularly bitten by mosquitoes...

And fleas are a pain here too; I guess it goes with the climate and high density living

..yeah...they have to make a living too...

Bumping this thread.... I've been using Valuheart for Heartworm but none of my usual suppliers seem to stock it anymore.I was wondering what everybody else was using? I'm not keen on products that cover everything...
Maybe a dumb question. Have you tried: http://www.valuheart.com/contact-us/ ?
No such thing as a dumb question!I have but am yet to hear back from them

I think I saw recently that it's no longer being made, unless that was heartguard.
I think you might be right PK; I can find heart guard in most places, but I don't really want to give my dogs an all wormer every month. Bummer!!!!!

Ok... I can say with almost 100% certainty it's no longer. I thought it rang a bell earlier - which is why I googled it - but found that website & thought no more. Have just googled the phone number. It was made by a company called Value Plus and they went out of business in a fairly extraordinary way earlier this year. They were once the only re-seller of weatherbeeter rugs for dogs too - for those of you who have heard they were discontinued = not so - it's just that Animal supplies / aka Value Plus has gone broke. (I worked for them many moons ago - as did a school mate. Her boyfried had worked for them for over 15 years and was just called on the last day of his leave and told not to come in - as they had gone into receivership - I believe he's still fighting for his pay out :( )

So fbaudry, looks like you'll probably have to find another option.

Thank you PK and Scottsmum for the thourough investigative work!

Yup, it looks like I'm going to find another option...

Willem, I do not purchase any of the parasite control medications from my vet, so he definitely isn't making money out of it from me. I understand your concerns re chemical overload and I try my best to minimise their use (no tick treatment unless we're visiting a high risk area, rarely use an all wormer etc). And one of my 2 is titre tested and can't be vaccinated because of his illness (lympocityc polymioscites).

Thank you PK and Scottsmum for the thourough investigative work!

Yup, it looks like I'm going to find another option...

Willem, I do not purchase any of the parasite control medications from my vet, so he definitely isn't making money out of it from me. I understand your concerns re chemical overload and I try my best to minimise their use (no tick treatment unless we're visiting a high risk area, rarely use an all wormer etc). And one of my 2 is titre tested and can't be vaccinated because of his illness (lympocityc polymioscites).

...the point is that during these times and weather in your area your dog just can't get infected with heartworms - it is just not possible due to the very complicated life cycle of the heartworm larvae. If there is one vet who would deny this fact this vet should be reported!...here some light reading: http://www.dogs4dogs.com/blog/2009/05/13/heartworm-medication-safety/

Also although I don't use HW treatments myself I think there is another monthly HW only called Nuheart?

Yes I use Nuheart, it is cheap and I just put the tablet on their food. I buy it from Vet n Pet Direct. I use Fenpral for intestinal worming 3x per year, it seems to be easier on the gut than Drontal.