Thoughts on "now fresh senior" grain free (by Petcurean)

Scottsmum

Thinking of swapping to a new dry. Senior grain free can be hard to find, tried a sample bag this week.  Mr Fussy bum ate it happily and it didn't appear to cause a change in stools or upset his stomach or "gunge" his eyes up. 

It's called "Now Fresh" Senior (Grain Free) by Petcurean - which is a Canadian company and it's manufactured in Canada. Currently feeding VIP grain free - which he likes well enough - but goes off occasionally and he'll only eat one of the flavours (the orange one, he doesn't like the purple one). Have tried a lot of other grain free dry which he has refused point blank.  It gets 4 stars on pet food review.

Ingredients

De-boned turkey, potato flour, apples, pea fibre, peas, potatoes, tomato, sundried alfalfa, canola oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), natural flavour, salmon, de-boned duck, coconut oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), whole dried egg, flaxseed, carrots, pumpkin, bananas, blueberries, cranberries, raspberries, blackberries, papayas, pineapple, grapefruit, lentil beans, broccoli, spinach, cottage cheese, alfalfa sprouts, dried kelp, calcium carbonate, dicalcium phosphate, lecithin, sodium chloride, potassium chloride, vitamins (vitamin E supplement, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (a source of vitamin C), niacin, inositol, vitamin A supplement, thiamine mononitrate, d-calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin, beta-carotene, vitamin D3 supplement, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement), minerals (zinc proteinate, ferrous sulphate, zinc oxide, iron proteinate, copper sulphate, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, selenium yeast), taurine, DL-methionine, L-Lysine, glucosamine hydrochloride, dried chicory root, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried Aspergillus niger fermentation product, dried Aspergillus oryzae fermentation product, yeast extract, yucca schidigera extract, chondroitin sulphate, marigold, L-carnitine, dried rosemary.

Analysis

Crude Protein(min) 24%

Crude Fat(min) 10%

Crude Fibre(max) 6%

Moisture(max) 10%

Phosphorus(min) 0.7%

*Glucosamine(min) 400mg/kg

*Chondroitin Sulphate(min) 100mg/kg

*L-Carnitine(min) 100mg/kg

*Taurine(min) 600mg/kg

*Omega 6(min) 2.4%

*Omega 3 (min) 0.48%

http://www.healthypetfoods.co.nz/dog-food/now-fresh-grain-free-senior-df-2-72kg

Thoughts? (PS - Not entirely sure if this is in OZ - but it is available here). 

I haven't seen it in Aus. It looks like they've packed an entire shopping list in there! My only thought is that it doesn't seem to have much actual meat content as there's no meals listed, but I know you feed meaty bones etc daily so maybe that isn't an issue when you think of his diet as a whole.

8 minutes ago, Papillon Kisses said:

I haven't seen it in Aus. It looks like they've packed an entire shopping list in there! My only thought is that it doesn't seem to have much actual meat content as there's no meals listed, but I know you feed meaty bones etc daily so maybe that isn't an issue when you think of his diet as a whole.

Think it's new here too - they're flogging it in sponsored posts on facebook - which is how I found out about it. 

You're right on the meat/meal thing...  but...protein in bold below (and that's just the obvious stuff - wonder how bio-available lentil protein is to dogs) 

De-boned turkey, potato flour, apples, pea fibre, peas, potatoes, tomato, sundried alfalfa, canola oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), natural flavour, salmon, de-boned duck, coconut oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), whole dried egg, flaxseed, carrots, pumpkin, bananas, blueberries, cranberries, raspberries, blackberries, papayas, pineapple, grapefruit, lentil beans, broccoli, spinach, cottage cheese

Vs The meat in his current bag of VIP / Natures goodness. 

Meat (Kangaroo, meat & meal, Poultry, beef & lamb meals)  ... chicken digest...  egg  

I think I like that the meats are described & not "meal" (have horrid memories of meat meal from when I was a kid) - that said, the VIPis 2% higher in protein, but yes, he gets fresh meat daily and the occasional can or sachet or dog roll depending on what's on sale (usually human quality meat). Kibble is only part of this diet.