Dog on Macrolone 20mg - depression, lots of thirst, not eating, withdrawn.

Hi there,

My border-collie, 12 years old has been on macrolone for about a month now due to a clogged tear duct that wasn't draining. It's returned to normal now, but the vet has us finishing off a course of it, another 6 halves, every second day to go. But I've noticed in the last few days especially now, that my dog has become very withdrawn, she's normally very bubbly and energetic and loves chasing after her squeaky toys, but now she's not doing that. She's also not eating as much, but she is drinking lots and panting. I'm just worried, I don't want to continue giving her the steroids if this is how it's going to affect her. The vet never told me about any possible side effects and its got me really concerned. Any advice? She's only got 3 whole tablets left, which is 6 halves over the course of 12 days, which would make her on steroids for about 1.5-2 months then. Should I just stop it? 

Thanks!

Your vet is the person you need to be asking these questions of... not an internet forum of strangers who don't know all of the facts/circumstances.

At the very least, you should be able to call the vet and ask to talk about your concerns, and if necessary, take your dog in for another checkup.

T.

• Like 1

Yes, definitely talk to your vet.  As she is an older girl she really needs to have professional help.  I've had a couple of old dogs on macrolone without any problems so I think you need to at least talk to your vet asap but, if she was mine, I would book her in for an appointment.

• Like 2