Puppy Loses Eye After Attack at Melbourne Dog Park

Deeds

Call me a cynic, but I'm thinking that there may be a bit more to this story than is being told here... something must have instigated such a violent response from the man who struck the dog. That said, I'm not defending his actions, as they were somewhat extreme.

I've personally witnessed "professional dog walkers" rocking up to a dog park and offloading a van full of dogs to run completely amok and causing much chaos in the process, so the fact that the owner of the injured dog is a dog walker by trade doesn't necessarily mean that she had effective control over the dog(s) in her care that day, and the man's reaction may have been one that had built up over time being subject to unwanted approaches by other people's dogs.

I firmly believe that the man's actions were over the top, and he should be charged over the incident, but I also believe that there may be a reason that he reacted the way he did.

As for the bit where people were anthropomophising that the dog looked depressed in the photo supplied... quite frankly, an eye ablation is a pretty big surgery, so the dog would have been dosed up on medications to keep it sedated/quiet and pain free, so that photo actually was less confronting for one who has experience with post surgery animals.

T.

• Thanks 1