SA Animal Shelters Face Surge in Demand. ABC News 27/6/23

Deeds

Housing epedemic is / was ALWAYS going to cause this problem , said it on here before  i've had a few rental properties , i personaly always allowed dogs ,  BUT  i have had to spend thousands  over the years replacing stuff  after pets damaged things , be it digging lawns ,  just creating a track where lawns used to be ,  , soiling carpets , chewing architraves the list is endless ,    but bty and large most were  great  , so given you don't know them at first you are taking a chance and if you don't need to  why do it, just say no , especielly when you have 50 applicants for that  property and 48 don't have pets . But in days gone by  you may have had 5   applicants   3 had dogs  2 did'nt but the dog owner came with a job and a exemplanary  record  , a good bond and great references , you pick the dog owner

However the   problem lies  right at the doorstep of the govt  , WHY its simple ,  govt housing  its gone and going ,  i know this for a fact , i was a govt housing contractor for years , in 2003 in south Aust  us contractors were brought into a meeting shown graphs  of the properties owned by  SA HOUSING , and shown graphs of  the amount that would be pulled down , sold off   ect ect over the next 15 years or so ,, we were told  be careful with your workers , the days of putting your name down   and  waiting your turn for your home were finished , in the future social housing was going to be for the needy no one else , that meant  alchaholics ,  the drug crazed , metal health issues , and such , .

Now let me explain something ,  it was written in my contact  that i had won  a contract for x amount of properties to maintain over x amount of years  usually around 7-800 a year   , the first year in the first area 350 houses were deleted ,  i was told they have the right to add or delete properties at will , these 350 had been sold off , now in the past  when sold off the tenents got to buy at a reduced rate ,  not these ,  they were sOld off to developers WITHOUT BEING ADVERTIZED ,,  NOW I HAD AT  THE TIME A LIST OF EVERY SINGLE sa HOUSING PROPERTY IN sa ,  AND CLOSE TO WHERE I LIVED I KNEW EVERY PROPERTY   , there not there anymore , even now   i drive up the street  and its there on monday gone on wed , following month units started  to be built by developers , with no warning no for sale just pfffft gone .

Make no bones about it   the state goverments are 100% at fault the shortage is because they are just not fullfilling social housing obligations . and its not one party its all .

example , 2003 SA housing had approx  80,000 prperties across the state , NOT INCLUDING the church housing Aboriginal housing  ,  battered women housing and others , just approx  80,000 properties across the state ,   now put on average  4 people per property , thats approx    320000 people , living there , that was  around 1/4  of the state  our population was about  what  1.5 million  so roughly speaking  a quarter of the population lived in social housing , they had plans to reduce the properties by more than half  and reduce they did , and whats more STILL ARE ,, Theres where your problem is .

Try and get your local pollie to commit to building social housing , unless they get to cut the ribbon its NEVER GONNA HAPPEN , THERES AN AGENDA