3 Yr Old Dachshund Mauled at Qld Dog Park

Deeds

What happened to the dog who attacked and where was its owner? Why do they need a go fund me to pay the vet bill when the owner of the dog who attacked should be the one paying? This is why don’t ever go to dog parks. It’s too risky. 

• Like 1

The girl that was involved in the attack ( the owner of the dachshund) is actually a client/ friend of my son. He’s her personal trainer. He actually told me about the attack. He didn’t know details at that stage but I’ll talk to him and see what actually happened. 

• Like 1

An interesting note... there has been a steady increase in news reports about dog attacks in Qld... leading up to the announcement of their plans to introduce new laws looking to ban certain breeds altogether (rather than just imposing restrictions on owning them), and much higher penalties for dogs and their owners if/when an incident occurs. The one thing that stands out with the proposed new legislation is that it only targets larger breeds or certain larger breed mixes... it is not being applied as strictly to smaller breeds that may attack humans or other dogs, as it's commonly espoused that they "don't do as much damage".

If one looks at dog bite statistics, there are a number of (smaller) breeds not specifically mentioned in the proposed legislation up in the top 10. I'm not bagging out owners of smaller breeds who might be "a little feisty", but I certainly don't think that certain behaviours should be condoned or encouraged in ANY dog, regardless of size. Certain things that SOME owners of smaller dogs may find amusing or "cute", certainly are not that when displayed by a larger dog, are they?

Back in the day I used to visit busy dog parks, I can certainly attest that most of the aggressive type behaviours were usually from smaller breeds of dog towards the larger breeds, and only if the larger dog reacted in kind was there ever any fuss made by anyone. Quite frankly, if you have your dog out in a public space, please keep it under control, and make sure it has decent "manners" around other dogs and humans... regardless of it's size, OK?

T.

• Like 2