lump on dogs shoulder after needle

Beau1

A couple of weeks ago my dog was diagnosed with a sore muscle in his shoulder.  Some anti-inflammatories were injected into the site.  Within a couple of days he was not limping.  About 12 days later, a lump just a bit smaller than the size of a golf ball has come up in the site where he was injected.  It is under the skin and is quite round and hard.  Has anyone's dog had a reaction to an injection like this?  Did the lump just go away by itself in time? How long does this normally take?

Years ago one of my dogs had a reaction to a vaccine on his neck and got a lump that went away by itself, but I have never seen a dog get a reaction to any other sort of needles.

I have spoken to my vet and she reckons it will just go away but she has not actually seen him (as yet).

Any thoughts on this?

• Sad 1

Did the lump get to that size over time, or has it come up more suddenly? I would be having the vet actually look at it and feel it to make sure that it's just an inflammatory reaction, and not something more sinister like an abscess that may require some intervention to stop it getting worse. Better safe than sorry is the general rule here...

T.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

From what you've said I expect an abscess has formed. This can happen after an injection introducing bad bacteria under the skin, i.e. from bacteria on the needle. Shouldn't but can happen. If that's the case your vet will need to drain it and possibly treat with antibiotics. May also be a reaction to the anti-inflammatories but I think less likely