Heart stick ( ici ) on conscious animals?

Hello came across this story of heart stick 

Intracardiac injection euthanasia been done on conscious animals In our shelters and practices, would love other people's feedback on this heart stick and is many people even aware this is been done on conscious animals and our wildlife 

https://www.facebook.com/itsjohnprendergast/videos/889229129575201/

Maybe you need to put a warning re the description of this procedure in this particular case... it is quite distressing to listen to.

I have personally been present for 3 different animals for intracardial euthanasia... a puppy with parvo, an old and very sick rooster, and a rabbit. The puppy and the rooster were so ill that they didn't even register that the needle had been inserted, and passed quickly without incident. The rabbit had a broken leg that couldn't be fixed, and he was much more alert, so he was anaesthetised before the procedure, and also passed peacefully.

Other animals I have had to have euthanaised where the usual leg vein was unable to be accessed, have had the needle inserted into the jugular vein (predominately goats/sheep and a calf in my case), and they have passed peacefully just as if the leg vein had been used.

Working with animals is not all sunshine and roses... but when they need to get their wings, we always do our utmost to make it as dignified and peaceful as possible.

I would say these people's story is NOT the norm at all, and the vet who performed it should be censured at the very least.

The claim that this happens regularly at shelters and/or pounds is not necessarily true either. Neonate animals where a leg vein can't be accessed may have this method performed, but a well trained vet generally finds the heart first go, and the death is quick.

T.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Euthanasia varies wildly in different countries. I think we're fairly humane here overall. 

But yes, heartstick is done here if the animal is too sick or tiny, I can't answer the sedation part. Euthanasia is not a one size fits all type thing. 

Just be careful of apparent facts you find on the internet. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3