Hypoallergenic Dog Food

My dog has been itching and scratching a lot lately, along with having recurring ear infections and maybe even some hair loss. I suspect they might have food allergies. What are some good brands of hypoallergenic dog food to start with? I'm looking for a food that uses limited ingredients and a novel protein source, like kangaroo or salmon, that my dog likely hasn't been exposed to before. Are there any brands that you've had success with that also meet these criteria?

I know this is probably an annoying thing to say, but I’d start with a vet check and see what they say. I often come across people who spend an awful lot of time and money trying to fix things themselves, getting no answers, when if they had got help up front it would have been more economical and their pet wouldn’t have had to struggle for so long. :) 

• Like 1

Yes, as PL and PK say, the first stop is the vet where (most likely) you'll get antibiotics and anti-itch medication (most likely Apoquil) the ears will be checked and you'll get drops, my bad-skin Westies (I get oldies from Westie rescue) have all gone through this regime.

Many owners jump to food allergies which do have a contribution to this affliction but it's not all the problem, it has usually stemmed from a long-term not-optimum diet rather than an allergy, some dog breeds are more susceptible to a refined diet especially a diet containing cereals (Westies are a one of these breeds, so are some Staffies), many dogs do really well on store bought kibble and thrive and are healthy.

Have a hunt around on-line for a simple raw diet that you can make yourself...don't get carried away otherwise it'll cost you a fortune, my lot get bones, raw meat and frozen mixed veg that has been whizzed in the food processor and Vets All Natural Complete mix (there is one for sensitive skin) their chicken intake is minimal.

What breed is your dog?

• Like 1

On 14/03/2024 at 2:03 PM, Bertterfes said:

My dog has been itching and scratching a lot lately, along with having recurring ear infections and maybe even some hair loss. I suspect they might have food allergies. What are some good brands of hypoallergenic dog food to start with? I'm looking for a food that uses limited ingredients and a novel protein source, like kangaroo or salmon, that my dog likely hasn't been exposed to before. Are there any brands that you've had success with that also meet these criteria?

Anyone have the idea of Hypoallergenic dog food. Most of the people suggest me. Is it good?