Allergic Reaction Nightmare!

Nope it was definitely drontal for small dogs.

The vet was quite certain about having to give the drontal as well, he said that I have to give him both until he is 16 weeks and then just the advocate. Hmmf

I will try Droncit then. Thanks!

Hi Greentea

I gave Kirra (my Staffy) the same wormer as you when she was younger and she had the same reaction as your dog. I was terrified in the end that she would really hurt herself. :)

I would say that giving your puppy the vaccintions and wormer all in the same day could have been a huge assault on his immune system. Reactions to vaccinations and drugs are more common than people think. Especially as not many people report them - then if they do - the vet does not want to admit it could have been the drug.

Sorry if I offend anyone with that last comment. Its just that if you were in my position you would feel the same way!

I can not worm, vaccinate or give my Staffy almost any medication at all now without her suffering a reaction. She reacted badly to her vaccinations, then the vet loaded her up on cortisones and steroids and within a week she had a horrible skin condition. I have been trying to get her better for 2 years with homeopathic remedies now. Its an absolute nightmare - she is allergic to almost everything now. She is even deathly allergic to bee stings, but also has a reaction to the antihistimine/steriod combo the vet will give for this!! :mad

Jen

The reaction you describe is nothing like any thing I have ever heard of or observed with dogs being dosed with Drontal - but anything is possible. Certainly report it to Bayer and let them know of a potential problem.

I imagine that the reason for Drontal being given at concurrently is that puppies should be wormed fortnight until 3 months, monthly until 6 months of age then commence the adult dosing program. That sure is an expensive way to be using Advocate :) It's much cheaper to use Advocate / Revolution for fleas and heartworm until they are 3 months old and just fill in the gaps with an all wormer tablet.

I find Drontal too harsh?

Believe theres many breeds cats and dogs and crosses thereof that dont do too well on it?

Certainly costs a lot when they vomit it up and is often also have adverse reactions?

Have had many people use Endoguard just for intestinal worms...no probs...still researchin cat wormers?

I dont believe in bombarding immune systems