Ear Infection?

Hey...just wondering if what my dog is suffering from is ear mites or ear canker? or something else.

There is a lot of thick moist goo in both of her ears. Its unusual, I have never had a dog with it before. Its lasted a while now, Ive tried clavulox, medicated ear drops etc. when you manipulate the ear, you can hear moisture if that makes sense. Wondering if there is a good ear cleaner to use for this, its driving her and me crazy. Poor thing probably cant hear properly. Her little immune system is probably not all best as she has had two snake bites.

:)

poor thing!

my pup experienced the same problem few months ago. her ears stunk and she scratched it like no tomorrow.

tokk her to the vet and it ended up being a yeast infection. got her ears drained, took anti-biotics and drops for her ears.

Sounds like malassesia (yeast). If you have any Malaseb on hand, mix 1 part Malaseb shampoo to 30 parts water and syringe gently in to ear, massage well then wipe. Do this a couple of times a week and it should soon clear up. Although.....best bet is to take your dog to the vet first. It definitely sounds like a yeast/fungal type of infection.

I've found the Malaseb solution to work alot more effectively than the expensive ear drops! :)

Edited by Dru

mix 1 part Malaseb shampoo to 30 parts water and syringe gently in to ear

Sorry to drag this thread back up again, Dru ... but have you, or any other post readers had any experience with using Maloseb as an ear wash on a dog that is super sensitive to the usual cleaners? Is it more mild than others?

Malaseb has its uses. I have used it on a Staffordshire Bull Terrier who suffered terribly from yeast infections everywhere from between her toes to inside her ears. Poor little soul used to scratch herself raw and lick and chew endlessly.

We started with the diet approach which at least reduced the severity. Following that she had an ear ablation and we started Malaseb treatments. Within 3 weeks of the ablation her ears were again a stinking, itchy, raw mess. Another ablation and then I started the Blue Power treatment and within another 3 weeks, the ears were pink, clean and above all else - DRY! The vet thinks it was probably being unable to dry the ear completely with the Malaseb in it that agravated the problem. The alcohol in Blue Power, despite being a touch uncomfortable (but much better if the solution is warmed slightly) dried the ear effectively thereby ceasing the warm, wet environment that the bacteria were breeding in.

On the other side of the coin, another Stafford had a grass seed embed itself in the bottom of her ear. Following the surgery to remove it, Malaseb was used and it was successful.

I do have Malaseb on hand but find it mainly useful for bathing. For routine ear cleaning (and I have American Cockers) the Blue Power is brilliant but I have to keep reminding myself that it IS purple and it DOES stain. But then again, it does add pretty purple spots to the various coloured dog hair and I do like the colour purple! :rolleyes:

mix 1 part Malaseb shampoo to 30 parts water and syringe gently in to ear

Sorry to drag this thread back up again, Dru ... but have you, or any other post readers had any experience with using Maloseb as an ear wash on a dog that is super sensitive to the usual cleaners? Is it more mild than others?

I've found it to be more mild than some others. My swf has super sensitive skin and it's worked wonders with him. However as Ellz said

The vet thinks it was probably being unable to dry the ear completely with the Malaseb in it that agravated the problem.
I have also experienced this with another dog, where a bit of the solution made the canal all squishy, thus yeasty still as I must not have wiped it out properly/the dog didn't shake out the excess. I haven't personally used the Blue Power, but from what I've heard it sounds like great stuff too. I keep forgetting about Blue Power, as I'd like to give it a shot.

Can you buy it ready made? Or will I need to be proactive and get the ingredients myself? ;)

Can you buy it ready made? Or will I need to be proactive and get the ingredients myself?

Unfortunately, you need to mix it yourself. Which is probably better anyway because if you're like me, you like to be sure what is in it. Sometimes I wonder about pre-mixed things....everything from food to grooming spray (especially when there is a concentrate available!!).

If you have a source in the USA (or the UK I think and possibly even New Zealand), they can post the Gentian Violet ready made and very cheap (my last bottle is nearly 3 years old and it only cost a dollar something at a drug store in the US). Otherwise, you might have to Google it and get the ingredients which most chemists can then prepare for you.

Good luck. It's not the answer to everything, but I've seen (and heard about) some pretty hopeless cases which have turned the corner after using BP.

Thanks Dru and Ellz.

I'd like to try the Blue Power (I've been following your other thread, Ellz ... lively, to say the least! ;) ) and I did look up your link. My only concern is, and I guess this stands for any cleaner, having read the posts I guess I should be getting my Vet to check her ear drums are AOK before I use any cleaner.

She's flapping her ears (mainly after she's been lying down) every now and again (2-3 times a day), but they don't seem to be driving her insane. Admittedly, there is thick, blackish/reddish gunk that I wipe away weekly that I'm not keen on (she's on revolution and has been for years, as mites were an issue then).

But, she's rising 12yo and has been under anaesthetic 4 times already in the past 12 months (other unrelated issue/s) and I've only just got her back to full health.

For a Vet to check the status of her ear drums, I presume general anaesthesia would be required, and I am just loath to put her back through that yet again. She also stresses alot at the Vets and she's seen alot of them over the last 12 months.

During one of the operations she had, I had the Vet make the most of the opportunity by getting him to clean her ears. I explained she could not have alcohol based cleaner (alcohol based cleaner made her skin red raw, hot, and the ear flaps swelled). He used oil based cleaner (so they say) but within 24 hours the skin was red and VERY hot.

Since then I only use white vinegar (diluted) to wipe out the ear (as much of it as I can see), but I wonder how much of the blackish gunk is still down there. Hence I express my interest in the mildest of mild cleaners.

Ooooh yes, definitely get the vet to look at it before trying anything. There could be open lacerations, ulcers etc.

I believe the Blue Power is alcohol based (you probably already knew), so maybe not such a good idea for your girl after all?

Best to get on it straight away. The ear flapping can cause haematoma's which would then require surgery.

Maybe try the Malaseb then (with vets okay), but only syringe a little in (few ml's). My Saint is also prone to ear infections. I have to be careful to get in early or the ear flapping causes problems. After I've syringed in the Malaseb dilute, she flaps like mad, but the chunks of goop fly everywhere :) Then after a couple of days - gone!! However!!! This is a recurring problem. She gets them every 5months or so. So don't know if there is a permanent solution somewhere. ;)

Edited by Dru

My cocker boy suffers yucky ears but usually it depends on what I am feeding him. Just found out that Hill's Science Diet makes his ears worse. Changed to Supercoat (special white bag) and viola, no more yucky ears.

I like Leo ear cleaner myself..

Guest Kent

Hi,

We found out many years ago, that a good remedy for "Yeast" based infections, (strange that it originally seems) is the Caaneston creme, that you go by from the Chemist.

That is what it is originally designed to correct (although for a different purpose ;) and we have found where we have referred it to people that when used for ears, that used a small amount massaged into the ear canal and around the inner ear flap twice daily, works very well.

It certainly is not invasive like an alcohol based product, and can do no harm, but with any long term problem, you may need to be methodical, and ensure that you massage it down the canal and also into the ear flap.

Regards

Kent

The ear flapping can cause haematoma's which would then require surgery.

Thanks, Dru ... aware of that. Ear flapping not much, but I've seen what the results can be, which is what concerns me.

Caaneston creme.

Concerns me also the discomfort she might be feeling - I'll give this cream a go!

Thanks for your help, all.

Mmmmmmmmm, the Canestan certainly sounds like a goer!! Think I'll give it a shot next time Victoria's ears flare up. Like you said, I don't see how it could hurt. Thanks for that ;)

Guest Kent

Hi Dru,

Been lurking for a while, so its nice to be meeting everyone!

Caaneston creme is an old remedy for yeast based infections, but not one that people readily think about. Over the shelf purchase now, (has been for ages),

and if it IS a yeast based infection, and methodically used, massaged well in and around the ear flap, has always been effective for people that I know that have used it.

The other thing that I know is that for "drop eared" dogs, where the problem has been long persisting, is to try and get as much air flow as possible.

Sounds crazy, but, depending on the tolerance level of the dogs, either clip (peg) the dogs ears up for a little while each day to allow air flow. Where the dogs are NOT show dogs, and the problem has been a persistant problem that is not resolving, to allow air flow to the ear, an easy way to keep ears up, in NON show dogs is to use a DROP of superglue on ears ( I am talking long eared dogs)

where they wont tolerate being pegged or held up for time open.

Superglue, A DROP!!!!!!! on the HAIR ONLY, will hold the ears together over the skull. It quickly breaks down over time without any problems.

This is in LONG TERM PROBLEMS, and the problem is often permanently resolved with a combination of airflow and caaneston, without resorting to other extreme measures that sometimes vets talk about, like extending ear openings, drainings etc.

And also avoids the constant shaking of the head that contributes to such an annoyance for the dog that they shake so much that they form haemotoma's.

Kent

Interesting......thanks for the sharing.

Altho' I have to admit I am having quite a chuckle at the thought of a Saint Bernard with her ears pegged up on top of her head :D I am tempted to do this just for the laugh value :D Although wouldn't then the worry be, of flies etc getting in there, altho I s'pose pricked eared breeds do okay.

I will certainly have my chemists sympathy when I start buying ongoing tubes of Canestan :) In fact I'm off to get some today, so I have it on hand for the next flare up. :o

Edited to add: It's nice to meet you too Ken :) Thanks for the advise.

Edited by Dru

Guest Kent

:D

You;d be surprised!

I just TELL the chemist about the things I require for the dogs!! They are very understanding!

It is MUCH EASIER!!!! :o

(Oh, and your saint is better as 'chuckle' value than with haemotoma's!)

Kent

**edited because I cant spell!!

Edited by Kent

Ok ...... I think I'm about to be embarressed here ....

'Cause I didn't have time, sent a friend up to the Chemist to ask for Canestan Cream.

The Chemist gave her the Amcal brand "Anti-Fungal Cream Broad Spectrum. It's for "the treatment of athlete's foot and other Tinea or Candida infections of the skin".

Is this the correct cream ..... or should I be getting the stuff for internal ????

:o :D :D :):):):)