Puppy Teeth

We have Papillon cross here and he still has his puppy canines, upper and lower, as well has his fully grown adult teeth.

At what stage should we worry that they have not fallen out? He is 10 months old.

What should we be giving him to chew to help these teeth fall out?

Thanks

i would say that it may be time to have the teeth taken out.

My dog (when was a pup) pup teeth would not fall out. Had 3 rows of croocked teeth.So went to the vet and had 24 teeth removedin total. Asked the breeder if any of the siblings had the same issue and none of them did. Go figure I would get thepup that would need the extra attention :cry:

cost me 280.00 I believe it was.

Our GSD has all his big boy teeth by 6 months. Definately worth getting it checked out by the vet. I took my boy in at 6 months just to make sure this teeth alignment etc were correct

My cav Lulu had three out on Friday. She went in for desexing and then the vet called and said that she had 3 teeth that should have come out by now (she is 5 1/2 months old) and they would have to be removed soon.

Apparently the adult ones were waiting to come through but couldn't so they would have come out on an angle. At $33 a tooth it is not inexpensive, but at least they caught it so she doesn't have to go under anaesthetic again.

Pups lose teeth between three and six months old - ten months is WELL and truely past teething stage, and you'll need to get them out before food packs up too much between the deciduous and the adult teeth and causes rot!

My little guy is 5 months old now and all his adult teeth are through, was worried about his left deciduous canine at one stage but it finally came out, 3 weeks after the adult had come down!

I don't mean to hijack this thread but while we are talking about puppy teeth... Meeko is 10 weeks old and I think he is teething. What are the best things to get him to chew? right now he has rope, an old slipper, and a rubber thing with little ropes... but the thing he wants to chew in our bacjyard is the door mat. Another thing he has started doing is pulling his bedding out of the kennel and gnawing on it like a bone. He gets a fresh lamb leg bone every 2 days. What else can I do to help him? Ohh... and that isn't going to cost me an arm and a leg I saw PB had teething rings but I think they are overly priced!

Sorry to hijack Flat black and I hope you baby is ok.

Thanks

Thanx for the idea... but we have tried them he doesn't like them they just sit in the backyard... It's raining down here atm and they don't seem that appleaing when they are wet and soggy. Although my 10 week old kitten runs into the backyard to steal them :clap:

Lappie girl a lot of people in here will scream me down over this but rawhide bones saved my butt whilst Olly was teething, we went through a few but he really enjoyed it. Tho if your guy doesn't like pigs ears, he mightn't like rawhide either...

Beef bones? They're much harder than lamb, Olly enjoyed chewing on them a bit too.

try feeding your mutt something hard as ive noticed most pups have their adult teeth right through bar the pre molars by 6-7 months give a dog a bone mean anything ive seen this many times before and its simply cause people dont give their dog something hard to eat

My vet told me that baby teeth should fall out within a week of the adult teeth appearing. If they don't fall out, they may not do so.

Retained teeth are extremely common in smaller dogs and should be extracted. They can adversely affect the growth and position of the adult teeth.

Take your dog to the vet.

RABIDNINJAKOALA Posted: 29th Jun 2005 - 02:28 PMĀ 

if your dog id a pet who really cares what your dogs teeth are like as long as it doesnt cause any pain or discomfort to the dog and regulary get meaty bones to chew

Ahhh Hellooooo.

It's not a simple matter of what the teeth look like, teeth out of alignment are not an issue in a pet, however retained teeth can be an issue as far as dental hygiene and complications from food remaining between than and the build up of tartar.

They should be removed.

I also believe that because of the excellent diets that we feed our dogs, the higher levels of calcium and good general nutrition that retained baby teeth are a far more common issue these days. I also work on the rule that when the adult teeth appear you would give the babies about a week to fall out, if not have them removed, as previoulsy explained they can adversly affect the placement of the adult teeth and this is of particular concern in a show dog and also for hygiene reasons.

Your vet should be able to remove them under heavy sedation, speak to you vet.

Hi There,

I took Bailey to the vet last night (for another issue) and he checked his teeth. Bailey has lost his bottom baby canines (I think this is what they are called?) but his top two are still very strongly wedged in with the new adult teeth! They are not even lose!!!

He said the same, that they will cause problems later on so when we put him in for desexing if they are still there we will get them removed.

Mel