Puppy Diarrhoea At Beach

I took Bear to a dog park / beach on Sunday. We have been here quite a few times now and Bear absolutley looooves it! He has a ball in the water and playing with all the other dogs.

First trip there he vomitted, every trip after that he drools alot and doesn't look comfortable (as I have mentioned in other threads I think he gets car sick most trips in the car - short or long!)

Yesterday he had diarrhoea, but basically it was just a huge shot of green water out his little bottom - twice!

He doesn't seem distressed - totally the opposite. He kept running around having a good time. No diarrhoea like that at home though.

What do you think it could be? :D

:cry: It's called the doggy beach total interior evacuation.

Dogs drink the seawater and all the salt makes them drool and vomit (cleaning out the front end). This also seems to rush right the digestive system and give them watery poo (cleaning out the other end). Some say that a dogs anal sphinctor is a little loose and that all the waves push water up there which drops back out and causes the poo sprays. :) Not sure.

Either way, it's all fairly harmless to them, although trying to stop them drinking the water and giving them a clean water drink afterwards to rehydrate is important.

The worst part about it is standing there while your dog sprays and then having to pick up a bucket-full of sand to make sure you pooper scoop while have the beach watches. :D :)

Edited by molasseslass

Chief used to have to only smell the beach & he would get the diarrohea......

he was the same would run around like crazy..... we used to have our own special beach shovel to clean up after him......

Jacqui

Thanks guys.

I thought that it could be the sea water and try my best to stop him from drinking it and make sure he has plenty of clean drinking water, but just didn't realise it could get through he system that quickly. I just would have thought he would of been more likely to vomit.

Thanks again molasseslass for putting my mind at ease! You are a wealth of information :D

Jacqui - at least it isn't just my boy then. I feel much better now!

Jacqui - at least it isn't just my boy then. I feel much better now!

:D Wait until KitKat sees this thread, I swear her boy must have the record for the most amount of evacuation at the beach.

My girl Molly seems to learn a little from her mistakes. She rarely throws up (isn't it foamy?!) these days and only gets a little whoosing out the bum.

:) ;) :)

I was refraining from telling stories about Harm's beach days so that i didn't gross people out :D but if you insist.... :)

My older boy doesn't go to the beach anymore...only because he isn't socially assseptable :cry:

He loves the waves but tends to bite the tops off them...this causes him to take in a hell of a lot of water...and i mean he inflates and looks like a barrel! No long after he will then start huring his guts up and what doesn't go up...goes down and becomes an icky mess at every step he takes! Litterally the walk back to the car is almost jet powered! luckily enough he does seem to get rid of all the water before hitting the car but yuo can hear his belly and system gurgling as his system tries to rid itself of all the water :) Poor darling...and he has such an embarressed look on his face...until all the water is gone and then he jsut wants to have another crack at it. After several trips to the beach he still hasn't realised that if he keeps eating the water he's gonna get crook...and very very messy! (which is gross as it's impossible to pick up and people do actualyl swim in the water!)

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:):) :D :cry::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::):) ;)

Nice story KitKat!

Now I really do feel MUCH MUCH better!

Poor little thing, that is horrible. He must feel terrible when that happens!

He loves the waves but tends to bite the tops off them

How gorgeous! :)

I was refraining from telling stories about Harm's beach days so that i didn't gross people out :D but if you insist.... :cry:

He loves the waves but tends to bite the tops off them...this causes him to take in a hell of a lot of water...and i mean he inflates and looks like a barrel! No long after he will then start huring his guts up and what doesn't go up...goes down and becomes an icky mess at every step he takes! Litterally the walk back to the car is almost jet powered!

:) :) ;)

:) Eegads,but it's great to be forewarned...Someone told me about a good dog beach to try and I know Misha's gonna love it.Now at least I won't be too freaked out if she squirts her way home-thanks for posting on this subject,Alibear.

Alibear,you've reminded me that I should put my location under my avatar...I see you're in Sydney--I'm a day behind you and many miles away in the usa...We'll be romping on a beach in New Jersey.But Misha sends her regards to Bear :thumbsup:

This happened to me and I got such a fright - so did Heathcliff!!!!

He went over to a post, lifted his leg to wee, and all this green water shot out of his bum. :thumbsup:

He got such a fright, as he thought he was about to wee! :crazy:

I was so embarrassed that other people were watching. When I got home I searched the internet to see if this was really bad, and I found all these horror stories of dogs swimming at the beach and then dying from the saltwater getting into their brain.

So I'm really confused as to whether swimming at the beach is bad for them or not. I keep doing it anyway because they love it so much.

The diarrhoea is from swallowing a whole lot of salty water in a short period of time - the high concentrations of salts in the lumen of the intestines draws a large amount of water to it, not to mention the irritation to the intestines. All in all the body just wants it out - fast.

Swimming at the beach in itself is not bad - just beware the possible dehydration both from the salty water and the diarrhoea (all the "water" in the diarrhoea is coming from the body's tissues).

Just a word of caution - keep an eye on your dogs water intake when you finish at the beach. They will be thirsty and want to gorge on it - try to control their intake and offer them smaller amounts frequently. If they are very dehydrated and take in a lot of water quickly - that is when a problem that could occur, will occur. The brain keeps the concentration of "salts" under very tight control to protect itself - if you suddenly add a lot of water to the situation, the cells in the brain will swell (cerebral oedema) instead of the brain being able to regulate the concentration of different products slowly over time.

Tim's done this on holidays.

He loved biting at the little waves when he was younger. The worst time was when we went to the beach which was too rough for swimming, then to a nearby lake. Tim not only vomited beside the kids while they were swimming in the lake, he then had the green squirty bum thing too! Not pleasant........the kids just about walked on water to get away from him! :rofl:

Fortunately he has grown out of biting the waves!

With luck Bear will grow out of drinking sea water too.

Edited by Tim'sMum

With luck Bear will grow out of drinking sea water too

Thanks. I'm sure he will and if not, then it looks like I'm in for a lot of green squirty stuff :rofl:

I'm just glad I know what it is now and I don't need to worry his insides are falling out!

Edited by Alibear

this happened the first time my boy went to the beach lots of vom and squirts - only ever did it once - guess he knows no to drink the salty water now! - but i his defence he did always used to swim in a fresh creek so drank as much as he liked!! seems to know the difference now

i give gatorade for dehydration i have a tub of the powder so i can make it up as needed - but always give a little after swims or v hot days aids absorbtion of the water so u dont have to give so much....