Agility In Wa

They require competition-level obedience to start agility training- the only club in Perth with that rule.

Ah, we aren't in Novice and if positions were still available, we would be able to attend.

We also have several people in our group who use clickers.

:):) :p

Edited to add: I am also one who has not been overly satisfied with the training instruction there, great for proofing. I have a high drive/easily distracted dog.. the club just doesn't cater for them.

Edited by ChelseasMum

You must be in the pre-trialling classes, because no-one in the lower classes is allowed to use clickers. I can't train my 1E dog with the clicker- its apparently restricted to the pre-trialling classes, and only with special permission. I started out doing it, in fact I've trained with the clicker there for about 5 years, and only recently were they banned.

You can't automatically do agility- you need to be assessed (twice, according to Georgia- once by an obedience instructor, and than again by an agility instructor). One of my friends recently had her dog assessed, and was required to do a SFE :) to trialling standard.

It is great to proof- but I agree with you that it doesn't cater for easily distracted high-drive dogs. Those of us with these dogs need to train the basics elsewhere, and then consider NS for the advanced stuff if necessary. For me, that defeats the purpose- I can train the advanced stuff, I need the exposure to the class environment for basic training with my new dog- but I want to train consistently, with the clicker, and within my dog's limits (short bursts of training). So we've had to go elsewhere :)

mjk05 - Can you suggest any other training clubs around the northern suburbs then? Our girls are only 6 months so it is novice classes I am looking at with room to grow within the club as their training expands

I use a clicker at home and would prefer to continue using it through our dogs training. I have noticed one in Carramar - is this any good?

Appreciate your help.

Ange

I don't know about any training in Carramar- is it a club or private training?

My general advice is to call up and ask questions about training methods- if its sounds good, go along to watch once or twice, and see how the classes run. Look out for dogs that are similar to yours (in behaviour etc), talk to the instructors and class members, and then decide.

There's no point sticking with a class that isn't working for you or your dog, just because you've already signed up. Most clubs will be happy to discuss their training methods with you.

I don't know how Joondalup Dog Club is going, but I heard good things about them a few years ago. Otherwise PTODC or CCC might be your best bet. If you call the Canine Association of WA, they can give you a list of clubs and contact details.

Good luck :)

You must be in the pre-trialling classes, because no-one in the lower classes is allowed to use clickers

I'm in class 3 - so that would explain it :)

I might go check out Joondalup... NS has been great up to this point, but I need to find a club that offers just a bit more for the next levels, as I would really love to compete with my girl.

Yep, I'm allowed to use the clicker with my class 6+ dog, who doesn't need it (we just use club classes to proof stays, basically)- but not my new dog, who learns best if I train the same at class as at home. Sigh... :)

That's also why you can do agility (after extensive assessment)- 3 is considered a trialling level class. My 1E dog trains on Open/Masters courses at other clubs, but if I tried to get him assessed for agility at NS now, he probably wouldn't be eligible (fortunately I got him assessed when the rules were briefly relaxed :) )

Let us know what you think of Joondalup, or any other clubs you try.

• 3 weeks later...

fifi trixibell come to PTODC! Then I can meet your Boston :rofl:

and in summer your boston can play with my boxer (my naughty growly boxer who really is nice when you get to know her :p )

But I don't know if you'd see Bondi coz Im going to give her a break for awhile and train Barkly...... just so Bondi will become enthusiastic again. :eek:

Edited coz im blonde :rofl:

I am in Kalamunda too. I have taken my dogs to either Kalamunda obedience Club

What is Kalamunda obedience like? I am going to take Bondi there if it is any good. Where abouts in Kalamunda? pm me :p

Edited by boxagirl