What I Feed My Dogs

Miranda I am so pleased that you can sleep at night.

Yes Jennie is right all I wanted was a discussion and peoples views. Strange way of doing it perhaps but it certainly has given me an amazing amount of reasons to review what I feed my dogs. Far more information then when I have asked on other threads for advice.

THANK YOU

Edited by gossco57

Miranda I am so pleased that you can sleep at night.

Yes Jennie is right all I wanted was a discussion and peoples views.

Sorry gossco57, I misconstrued the point of your post, I thought that you were trying to dictate what should and should not be fed.

Your diet sounds ok to me, I'd cut out the rice, the corn and the canned vegetables, but other than that if it works for you then go for it :p

why dont you like feeding them raw meat? If i cut raw out of Minas diet she'd go on strike again. Why dont you give them a raw chicken neck or wing each? Yes little dogs can be bad with their teeth because of the misconception that they need soft foods. Dog has teeth. Teeth need cleaning. Kibble will not do it for you. Also raw meat needs a little more chewing then cooked, may keep them busier a little longer :laugh: Actually one pet store told me that cooked meat is dangerous to dogs as they cant digest it properly :laugh: lmao

Garlic? what do you have against garlic? (you have a wog in a panic here ... I cant live without garlic) every dog I have had has had garlic in their food. Every one was healthy as a horse (My GSD lived till 13 and only had to go to the vet majorly once for pyemetron at about 9yo) I saute it lightly and chuck it in with the rice/veges mix. Parsley too. If you give rice why are you throwing in potato too? I go with corn, peas, carrot, sweet potato, pumpkin, celery, mixed with the rice. In appropriate amounts.

And mine has been taught to munch raw carrots to give her some extra fiber (she does it begrudgingly... such a princess :D ) Plus she gets snackies, shes a chippy fiend, even salt and vinegar. Its a very occasional treat but its virtually the only 'other' food she will eat. Everything else gets tossed about and shredded :D

Gee, I'm so glad my dogs exist on nothing but pure Tassie air. It appears that everything else that they like is bad for them. Oh but wait, they aren't Chinese Cresteds, just common old American Cockers, Staffordshire Bull Terriers and a token Rottweiler so maybe they're exempt? :laugh:

Garlic? what do you have against garlic? (you have a wog in a panic here ... I cant live without garlic)

:( Well I like it to too but I do have an article saying why they believe garlic is not good for dogs. I just saying I choice nottogive my dogs anylonger after reading ther article.

But if you think I am going to post such a contriveral thing afer this one and the Myth about the Bark Diet :p

However if for you own point of interest let me know and I"ll will send it no prob :thumbsup:

Ellez first of all your dogs you have or breed arnt common I happen to like many breeds of dogs. Bother the American Cocker (love the head shape) and Staffies well who wouldnt like staffies. I would have a managere of dogs if I could they have alwaysgiven me much pleasure. :thumbsup:

But the breeder I got my firt cc suggested a lot of the things that I have been following I also have been adviced by other ccc owners what they feed there dogs.

At the moment I have just rehomed a cc h/l and I am so upset at the lack of lustre of her cresting I"m asking for advice on another thread. The bottimline isI sincerelywant whant isbest for my dogs.

Edited by gossco57

At the moment I have just rehomed a cc h/l and I am so upset at the lack of lustre of her cresting I"m asking for advice on another thread. The bottimline isI sincerelywant whant isbest for my dogs.

Well in MY humble opinion you could do far worse than ditching a lot of your pre-conceived ideas and looking very carefully at the writings of some of the people who have posted here.

With all due to respect to your first breeder, her ideas are rather "outmoded" and have been largely superceded by good old science, technology and proof!

I've been breeding for 20 years, still largely follow my "original" gameplan but have introduced some new things and am finding it all to be so much better for myself AND my dogs.

You could do worse than take notice rather than sit on your soapbox and tell others what they are doing wrong.

I will be perfectly honest here and state that for somebody who is so forthright about their way of feeding, you are very novice in many other areas of dog management. That in itself tells me that you could do worse than adopt a new mentor and do some more learning.

It certainly wasnt ment in that way after ready all the post I certainly have altered my view in many ways. As I said in the end I only want to do what is right for my dogs. It was never my intention to say this is what I feed my cc and I know I am right I should have worded the start of it to say What are your suggestions this is what I am currently doing.

I hope this clears things up for you all. I know you all loveyou dogs otherwiseyou would not be on the forum and also that you all do the very best for your animals. I admire the commitment that reputable breeders have in maintainingm the dogs and keeping there choosen breed as true to form as possible. :thumbsup:

Edited by gossco57

Garlic? what do you have against garlic? (you have a wog in a panic here ... I cant live without garlic)

:laugh: Well I like it to too but I do have an article saying why they believe garlic is not good for dogs. I just saying I choice nottogive my dogs anylonger after reading ther article.

Garlic has many benefits, but it also has its dangers that come with large or ongoing doses. Just as with everything I'll feed it in moderation. Occasionally I'll chuck a whole bulb in with the mix I make up, then make a mix with none, just so that they can receive the benefits but without it building up in their system and creating dangers. In my experience though, dogs with garlic added to their diet seem extremely healthy and full of life, but it is impossible to put that down to the garlic itself.