The Canine Athlete

I am lucky enough to work for a Vet/Chiro, it is very interesting to see first hand the progress of interesting cases, both dogs and horses.

The difference made to the horses is incredible in many cases, horses that can actually be unsafe to ride and could well end up being dogged because of their "behaviour" when actually they are in pain and chiro treatment helps them.

I have my dogs and horses checked over when ever I feel anything is not quite right.

I find the horse side of things very interesting because so many horses are labelled as nasty or dangerous, when in fact they are trying to tell us they are in pain.

Greyhound people have made use of chiros and physios for many years.

We take our dogs to the chiro /bowen before a vet,the vets first course of action is drugs.

The people we use now the muscles & what course of rehab is required.

Alot of vets havent a clue ,just because a dog is limping on the front doesnt mean thats where its sore.

I now from the 20 plus yrs we have used them i have learnt so much from them to the point they now respect our knowledge aswell.

The benefits in any competitive dog is amazing

Guest cloverfdch
You also learn about the importance of fitness conditioning and SPELLING, a word rarely heard in the world of dog sports.

:thumbsup: I spell both Clover and Elvis every now and then, just to give their bodies a break. They are due for one soon, after we come back from the Adelaide Royal.

And i usually pay around $10 - $15. Quite a few of us Flyballers and Agility people take our dogs for routine checks.

About the vets i too dont go to them when i have a dog with an injury, last time i did that they put her on all sorts of drugs and tld me to retire her from sports. One visit to the chiro and she was up and running again, and felt better very quickly.

Edited by cloverfdch

• 3 weeks later...

I cannot believe it.

The tiny mammary lump, which in such a short period of time became terribly inflammed which was treated with antibiotics before surgery last Friday - resulted in the loss of three teats as the mass was so large by that stage, has been diagnosed as metastatic carcinoma.

Chemotherapy is being discussed with the experts.

My darling girl :confused::confused:

Thanks Poodlefan and FHR,

To say I am shattered, is an understatement.

Her vets have banded together and as mentioned are discussing chemotherapy. They are very open with their views as they know me well. I will fight for my dogs health at every opportunity, money means nothing. But two dearly trusted vets have suggested chemo may prolong her life but they question the quality of life.

I just cannot believe this has happened. Everyone was so sure this tumour was going to be benign, but I had reservations. Although she had been well until a week ago, she did not seem "right". She had the strangest sad look on her face, which I did not feel was related to the obvious eventual huge mass.