Thomson Education

Has anyone here completed it???

I done the S.O.A in animal care through Thomsons Education and loved it. It was really interesting and their materials were top quality.

I just got sent a pretty good discount offer (as ive alreayd done a course through them before) and its a bit hard to resist!!

Just wanted to know if anyone else had done it.

Btw - Im only doing this for my own knowledge - I dont expect to become a dog trainer when i complete it.

Im planning on doing the Delta course a few years down the track, but thought I might do this in the meantime.

I've heard of it, Wagsalot, but don't know anything about it. Only thing I was told was that it would be a "fairly basic course compared with what I've already done" (which was NDTF dtcc course; NDTF behaviourist course; NDTF scent detection course). However, I was told that by a girlfriend who is non-dog savvy, so couldn't say if her statement was correct or founded.

At least this post will "bump" your thread topic, so it might produce some response from here.

i think if you can afford it go with something like NDtf its more comprehensive than the thompson one but it depends on you finances and background it is pretty basic a friend did it but if you are new to training it would be a good one if the discount is very big

yb

The thing that totally irks me about Thomsons is that you believe you are getting an SOA in "Animal Care" or "XXX Course" however, in actually fact you are just getting a basic SOA in business studies, with some lovey dovey material about the "interest area" to make it sound great...

It sucks when you think you are getting something of value, only to find you already have that qualification.... :grr:

Well ive decided to do it. I rang Thompson Education up and once again I got a lovely lady on the end of the line and i was sold.

I cannot fault their service and their learning materials are tops.

I know its no where near as involved as the delta or ndtf but its a great starting point. :)

IMO, any learning is a good thing if the stuff is taught right .... doesn't matter if it's basic or intense if the use of that knowledge is suitable for your application.

Go for it, and let us have your feedback. Hope you enjoy. :)

• 2 months later...

Just wondering how you are all going with this course?

I continually seem to find it helpful (dogless at the moment though). A lot of the information supports what is said on this site though. I am still hanging out for the NDTF correspondence course. Thank goodness they have realised there are interested parties outside of VIC!!

To all enrolled: What are your ambitions for the future? Besides a general knowledge of dog behaviour etc, I wish to learn about scent detection. I doubt I will get to the level that it will ever be useful (eg. gaining employment) but if I did, it would be a dream come true. For the moment tho, I am so happy to watch other dogs and learn.

How old is too old for a dog trainer anyway (if they were successful) and can you make a living out of it.

Kristy

Edited by Latisha

hi Kristy

You never too old for anything.

I think if you really put your mind to it and you want to work in secnt detection custome whatever then there is nothing to stop you. go for it

I plan to do NDTF next year and then DElta the year after im interested in assistance dog work and would love to make a living doing something that is so rewarding. Glad your enjoying your course

yb

hey i am in the midle of the animal care course with thompson as well and have thought about doing another after i finsish that... i have had no trouble with them has been great...... good luck witht he training course.. let us know how it goes feedback would be appreciated.. as i am thinking also about ding it next