Barf

Alibear

Ab, I buy mine from the BARF agent in Sydney Sharryn 0416 146 732. I pay $60.00 for 4 rolls home delivered.

How long does that last?

I feed 1 patty in the morning ( 227 grams) with some puppy mince (200 grams)

and two patties at evening. I change this about for variety every 3-4 days

I also alternate with some chicken mince every 3 days or so.

Each Barf roll has 12 patties ,each weighing 227 grams. thats about $6.60 / kg

But, I like it as I don't have to make it and store it. and the dog loves it.

Vegies are really easy to prepare, its convincing the dog to eat it is the problem :rofl:

I occasionally feed Scottys rolls, they are $6.50 each 2kg. Rex will eat 1kg a day.

That is the most expensive food he gets (apart from treats)

Scottys rolls are all natural, meat veg and barley, no preservatives, colouring etc.

Alibear maybe start with that and some raw chicken for now. That is easy and inexpensive.

Vegies are really easy to prepare, its convincing the dog to eat it is the problem :scold:

Not all dogs! :cry:

My three lick all the vege pulp up first and then eventually get round to the wings/frames etc... They've even developed a taste for ACV and the oils etc that swoosh around in the bottom of the bowl - all the liquid goes first...

It seems daunting Alibear, I've just switched with my current dogs, but increasingly I'm relaxed about it. By all means follow the "recipes" till you get a feel for it, but from what people have said to me, the more experienced you get the less regimented you're happy to be.

I'm very happy with what I'm feeding them now - happy to PM you what I'm doing - but I am still learning and getting advice from others here - and I have some books which helps if you're someone who likes stuff in writing.

I'm planning a big meat shopping expedition to the Flemington Markets later this week if you want to come! :D

I'm planning a big meat shopping expedition to the Flemington Markets later this week if you want to come! :mad

Where in Flemington do you go?

Can you please find out for me how much for lamb necks, how much for chicken necks (no skin) and how much for some pet mince (beef preferably).

Oh and turkey necks and wings and any ohter turkey parts suitable. I got some turkey butts from someone in the past, that was excellent. It was like a the loin area of the bird, the bones of the spine with some meat on them.

Edited by myszka

I was wondering if I'll need to feed anything in addition to the patties?

I would suggest feeding Raw Meaty Bones as well. Depending on the size of your dog, these can be things like chicken necks, wings, pieces, frames or even whole chicken, turkey necks, lamb necks or flaps/ribs, beef brisket bones, rabbit, kangaroo tails etc etc. You could also add the occasional can of sardines, salmon or mackeral etc.

I'm planning a big meat shopping expedition to the Flemington Markets later this week if you want to come! :swear:

Where in Flemington do you go?

Haven't ever been yet!

So when I've been there I'll tell you!

I just saw on the web site that part of the market has meats etc so I though it would be a good place to check out.

Can you please find out for me how much for lamb necks, how much for chicken necks (no skin) and how much for some pet mince (beef preferably).

Oh and turkey necks and wings and any ohter turkey parts suitable. I got some turkey butts from someone in the past, that was excellent. It was like a the loin area of the bird, the bones of the spine with some meat on them.

More than happy to. I'll take a pen and paper! :cry:

Hey I'll try to go before Saturday and then I'll be able to tell you allllllll about it at the K9 force wshop (if you're going - or do you just organise them now?)

AliBear - I've PMd you - sorry it was garbled - I'll try to be clearer once I'm on the other side of the 4 hour drive I'm about to start....:mad

Only $50 per mth - really? That is great! I thought it would be much more then that!

If you don't do veggies, what do you feed if you don't mind me asking.

Pretty much an all-meat diet. Raw meaty bones, muscle meat, organ meat, canned fish once a week, and a raw egg once a week.

More than happy to. I'll take a pen and paper! :)

Hey I'll try to go before Saturday and then I'll be able to tell you allllllll about it at the K9 force wshop (if you're going - or do you just organise them now?)

:D

Soon I will start presenting for him I think :thumbsup::clap::) only kidding

I will most likely come, unless something drastic happens, but I will definitelly be late and will have to leave early. So I will butt in with my questions before everyone else ;)

If you have the info especially about turkey I will be greatfull.

Alibear,

it doesn't have to be hard. I don't try and get the right proportions at each meal - i just balance it out over a week in rough percentages. my dogs with thankfully eat anything so I can give them just vegies and a raw egg for a meal and they'll lap it up.

we use lots of chicken necks and wings in their diet because that's what we can get easily around here. then we'll try and get good pet mince to supplement and some other kinds of bones but I find that the bones we can get aren't that "meaty" so hence the chicken necks and wings.

my dogs only get kibble as a "snack" the tiniest bit at the bottom of their bowls if they've done a good training session or been well behaved. they don't register how much they are getting (or not getting) because they inhale everything anyway!

Mana - how did you go at the markets? Get what you needed? Cheap?

Haven't got there yet... :thumbsup:

It's been a bit of a full-on week to say the least.

But I got chicken carcasses for $1.30/kg at a Chinese butcher in Chatswood, and they had beaut bones and stuff too.

I am meant to be driving south tomorrow, and will have 4 dogs in the car and no room in the freezer at the other end, so probably not the best time to detour via the markets... But I fully intend to soon (& have to come up in 4 weeks to get the girls desexed in Bankstown so maybe then) and will gladly tell you all about it.

Alibear - I'm going to sit down with my dockets [tonight!!] and figure out how much I'm spending all up...