Muzzle Question

sas

This muzzle's description says the dog can still eat and drink with it in, in that case then couldn't it bite as well or nip? Anyone use one of these?

I'd like to be able to take Turbo back to training, only prob is I use a head halter at this stage, don't think you can use a head halter and a muzzle at the same time?

Link to muzzle

Edited by sas

I've got one - I thought they were more designed for barking. They're thick elastic which wears their jaw muscles out quickly when they bark. Dogs would still be able to nip but would be difficult for them to bite properly. I wouldn't say they could eat with them on but they can get their tongues out to drink.

I don't like any muzzle that wraps around the dog's muzzle. If you are training, which involves lots of physical movement, your dog will find it extremely hard to pant, especially on warmer days.

I prefer the wired cage type muzzles or even greyhound muzzles. Dogs seem much happer with them on as they can still open their mouths to pant and you can still give treats through the holes. To give dogs a drink, simply unclip.

Unfortunatel6y, it would probably be very uncomfortable if you combined it with a halti.

I know this sounds bad but a great dane with a muzzle on looks bad enough as it is, giving people the wrong preception seeing a dane with a wire cage muzzle.

I had pulled him out of training as it is as I didn't want people getting the wrong perception about his breed.

He doesn't actually pant during training?

Sorry, I think you took me the wrong way, I wouldn't put it on him if it was uncomfortable for him, but I would keep him out of training rather than put a wire cage muzzle on him.

We are working through his behaviour issues at this stage, so we hope to return to training in time, however if a muzzle was suitable I would give that a go.

Perceptions about breeds is actualy very important to me, especialy being the owner of a large breed dog.

I'm getting one of these but for barking: most specifically, crate and tether barking. I wouldn't work my dog in one. I read a review that said their dog still could bite. Any kind of muzzle is going to give an impression of something. I'd be going the wire or basket kind of muzzle. And maybe working/training with people who understand, until the behavioural issues are sufficiently addressed.

Edited by sidoney

Could you pad the halti and cinch it in fairly tight then so that he can't open his mouth very far??? I say pad it because they are fairly thin.hh

We're actualy using the BlackDog Halter, the way it's designed wouldn't really allow for padding but thank you very much for the suggestion.

I have just solved your problem and it's on my own dogs nose, I didn't even think of it!! Get ye to Saddleworld, for ten dollars you can get a miniature horse foal halter and the fit big dogs perfectly. The nose strap adjust really well and they are much wider that a halti, if I need to I can close it far enough to keep Beau's mouth shut. I'll get a pic and show you.

I'm getting one of these but for barking: most specifically, crate and tether barking. I wouldn't work my dog in one. I read a review that said their dog still could bite. Any kind of muzzle is going to give an impression of something. I'd be going the wire or basket kind of muzzle. And maybe working/training with people who understand, until the behavioural issues are sufficiently addressed.

We're working with a behaviourist at the moment so we hope to see some changes.

Thank you for the suggestion.

I have just solved your problem and it's on my own dogs nose, I didn't even think of it!! Get ye to Saddleworld, for ten dollars you can get a miniature horse foal halter and the fit big dogs perfectly. The nose strap adjust really well and they are much wider that a halti, if I need to I can close it far enough to keep Beau's mouth shut. I'll get a pic and show you.

mmmm interested to see a pic and I'll run it past the behaviourist.

here it is, sorry photo'sw not great he was wriggling. I tightened it here so that he could only open his mouth maybe 1/2 inch so he could still drink if necessary and as you can see he still didn't mind wearing it. As you can see it is similiar to a halti but I find it is more solid and comfortable and he doesn't try and pull it off all the time. Saddleworld was happy for me to go down there with him to try it on.

post-9-1125917053.jpg

highly recommend it, much cheaper than a halti, more solid, more comfortable and I like the metal buckle rather than the little plastic slip clip used on the haltis. Would fit rottis, danes, mastiffs, maybe even a very boofy staffy, mine is a lab x boxer and his nose is boofy enough to use it.

If you decide to use a muzzle, best to go wire as people have suggested - much more comfotable for the dog in warm weather and giving treats etc. I wouldn't combine halti and muzzle, but would use a collar instead. Most likely either a martingale or check depending on dog and club. If you cannot control the dog on a martingale or check than I would use a pinch collar, but they are not allowed in many clubs. I think using a muzzle would rule out using a headcollar as it is too much equipment on the dog's head/mouth and the headcollar would not work properly.

I have never tried a horse halter on a dog. I have found that many dogs really do not like head collars - they try to rub them off and even hide when you bring them out (Zoe did this at one point).

More than any other type of collar/control device I have used they seem to get a negative reaction from the dog.

Is there a reason you chose a horse halter instead of dog head collar?