What Age Do You......

Eldoop

I would only do it if you need to. Personally I found that might big boofer boy is much better on a Halti style as he just pulls on a choker. If you think you might want to get a Halti I suggest buying a cheap one for her to get used to as a pup because if you introduce it to late they tend to hate them.

I changed Mili over when she went to class 1. I got her at 14 weeks and had hardly any lead training (but had show training).

The main reasond I changed over was that I have different leads/collars for different occasions, slip and yellow lead for obedience, flatcollar with red lead for walking, and show lead for the show. I Hardly ever had to use the check chain!

I would only do it if you need to. Personally I found that might big boofer boy is much better on a Halti style as he just pulls on a choker. If you think you might want to get a Halti I suggest buying a cheap one for her to get used to as a pup because if you introduce it to late they tend to hate them.

Ok what is a 'Halti"??? do you have any pics?

Ok what is a 'Halti"??? do you have any pics?

A "Halti" is a brand of head collar. A google search for "Halti" will take you to their website. "Gentle Leader" is another brand and style and "Black Dog Wear" have one as well and there are others. If you require one, they're more a management tool than a training tool, IMO, but you should research on them to make sure you use them properly.

Like any equipment, it shouldn't be a case of just put it on the animal and off you go. There are specific handling skills required for proper use, as well as an awareness of the advantages and disadvantages and possible injuries in their mis-use. And, before I get flamed, I mean this of any equipment we use on our animals :thumbsup: .

ETA: A google search on each of the brands should take you to some pictures.

Edited by Erny

I too have different collars and leads for different occasions,

martingale for general wlaking and obedience and then a show chain(light weight ) and show lead for shows.

You can buy check chains that are made of nylon webbing( much gentler on the dog's neck and far less risk of injury) and I have used these for many years. the metal ones I loathe to be used on dogs; they are a last resort IMHO

Personally I would never use a flat collar for walking - you never know when your dog might get a big fright and slip the collar. A limited slip of some kind is much safer.

Nat

I'd personally prefer a pinch collar over either a choke or a halti, should you end up needing to use a training collar at all. I feel a pinch is safer for the dog than a choke, and kinder on most dogs than a halti. But each to their own - I'd recommend you try out all 3 type of device under supervision of a qualified trainer before you decide which you (and your dog) prefer.

There are also several types of anti-pull harnesses available that you could investigate. Like the halti, these don't actually discourage the dog from pulling, but do apparently stop him pulling while he has the harness on. Like Erny says, you'll need to have a think about your training goals before you slap a training collar or harness on your dog, so that you can pick the appropriate one for what you're aiming to do. :thumbsup:

I'd personally prefer a pinch collar over either a choke or a halti, should you end up needing to use a training collar at all. I feel a pinch is safer for the dog than a choke, and kinder on most dogs than a halti. But each to their own - I'd recommend you try out all 3 type of device under supervision of a qualified trainer before you decide which you (and your dog) prefer.

Absolutely Amhailte :thumbsup:

If you find a check chain works better then go for it. I use check chains on both of mine with no dramas

Everyone has to find the equipment that works best for them, providing it is used correctly. Some people swear by them, some say no way. Some swear by haltis and some say no way.

when you find one that works just stick to it and you shouldn't have any problems.

Good luck :p

Not sure what age your puppy is but hopefully you are attending a reputable training school where you shouyld be able to get good advice. IMO a correction chain should never be used on a puppy under 12 weeks, beyond that age it is still questionable.

Using a c/chain or not should not be an automatic upgrade, i.e. from flat collar to c/chain, from grade 1 to grade 2, from windows 95 to XP etc etc (hope that makes sense). It is something you think about, and research, and ask questions about (as you are doing here :rofl: ) It is a decision you make with the dogs temperament and training requirements in mind. As others have already stated, you may decide that for your dog, it is completely unnecessary - or alternatively if you are having issues you may need to look at other options (many of which have already been mentioned). But please don't just move to a c/chain purely based on the age or size of the dog. Stick with your training :(

Unfortunately, Amhailte, pinch collars have been banned for use in Victoria :(