Eating Eggs

As we have our own chickens we always have lots of eggs...my dogs love them. I break them over their biscuits and find they eat the egg first, then the biscuits and finally the shell.

My pregnant girl though wont touch the shells at all at the moment. She wont eat dog biscuits either.

I used to save them and feed them as scraps to the chickens. Because we used to breed birds many moons ago, egg shells were also good for them for the calcium which helps to harden the egg shells they produce as well.

I am going to try the whole egg approach. It will be interesting to watch no doubt. Thanks DOLers after reading your post I now know shells are ok....

I have to laugh at myself when feeding eggs to my dogs... The procedure....

Gently cracking into bowl and checking that no shell is added and if so picking it out of dog bowl. LOL (Really laughing now as I do feed marrow and brisket bones but somehow I think a bit of eggshell is going to hurt them :thumbsup: )

That sounds right Blacklab from what I can find as long as it is not feed in excess.

My google search

Heheh.. I didnt even know Gemima liked eggs till I caught her one day with an old duck egg in her mouth... nealy heaved watching her eat it..it was dehydrated inside so wasnt messy..

no side effects either afterwards.

she has NO trouble breaking the jolly things.. I take her walking around the yard.. she finds the ducks hidden nests for me.. but i tell her "leave" and she wont touch them..

She is another one that is Definately NOT gentle with eggs..