Eating Eggs

Hi! All those who give their dogs whole eggs, want to share your 'egg-cracking' stories?

I have been cracking the eggs for Jyra up until recently and I have just given them to her as they are. So far I have done this twice, so I have two stories:

1. Jyra licked and licked the egg around her food dish for ages, then I said to her "Where's your egg?" (prey drive trigger) and she picked up the egg without cracking it, carried it over to us and then let go when her head was at knee-height. So that caused the egg to crack and she licked it all up off the concrete.

2. Jyra starts off the same as last time, licking the egg around the bowl and then she decides to pick it up and put it on the concrete gently. So she was licking it on the concrete. It rolled away under a chair, so Jyra picked it up from under the chair, took it to a more convenient spot on the concrete and continued licking. She got her paws onto the egg to hold it still and stop it from rolling away, and eventually she accidentally pressed her paw against the egg too hard and caused it to crack open, then licked it all up off the concrete again.

Isn't that fascinating that Jyra has such a soft bite that she can pick up an egg without damaging it, yet she can crunch through bones!!?

So, so far Jyra hasn't figured out how to crack the egg open. She has managed to do it accidentally and enjoyed the results, but so far, no purposeful action to actually crack the egg open, except for licking it, and that has proven unsuccessful - you cannot crack an egg by licking it!

I often give my SO's rottweiler an egg when he spends the night (just read about sardines will try them oops sorry) anyway he will take it then just sit there with it in his mouth.

I can say give for up to an hour and he will give it back take it etc without breaking it. When I say okay he will walk to a spot he is happy with and drop it then lick up the insides then eat the egg.

I agree they can be so gentle when they want to yet when I hear him chewing through bones I wince and think if he ever accidentally got my fingers during play :(

Got to love their antics.

I have heaps of problems with eggs - I don't get any!! Buttercup scavenges and then eats them. The only eggs we find is a bit of shell in the poop occassionally :(

She often will stand around the chooks bum just waiting for the egg to come out :rofl::rofl:

She eats them whole, crunched, shell and all. Sometimes she just puts a little hole in the end and spends ages licking out the yolk and white and then she crunches up the shell.

She has been seen with 3 eggs in her mouth at one time - obviously discovered a secret chook nest ;)

I give them to Tyson (rottie X) he just picks his up until he can find somewhere great to lay down, then he peirces the shell with a tooth and licks out all the yummy stuff, then he cruches up the shell, and heads off for a big drink.

Dante 14 week rotti cant get the hang of them, she can carry hers around so tyson cant get it, but normally breaks it by accident before she eats it.

I can sooo relate to these stories!

Ours are the same - I no longer bother giving them whole, uncracked eggs - they'd never get eaten, just carried around and gently put down for a bit of licking every now and then :(:rofl:

Now I make sure I crack the egg before it goes in their bowls (leaving it still sorta whole, just with a split down the middle), so when they pick it up it opens for them :rofl:

The gentle mouth thing is so amazing for such big animals.

Not much fun with my guys.. Solly knows how to eat everything :rofl: The first time he was confused for a second, then just bit it hard and eat all quickly. Second time it was even faster. Stella would take it to the outside bed, crack carefully and lick the liquid, leaving the shell to the young scavenger :rofl:

Once Stella found a very old duck egg under the house and enjoed it to the full... I spent half a day washing her :(

Once Stella found a very old duck egg under the house and enjoed it to the full... I spent half a day washing her :clap:

Oh YUK I'm sitting here with my top lip curling up to my nose thinking about it :thumbsup:

I leave a whole egg on top of the meat. My Rotty eats the meat then ever so gently takes the egg in her mouth, finds a sunny spot to lay down, verrryy gently, then CRUSH.. and she eats shell and all :)

Ahh, very boring so far, Ruger grabbed his, said, "WTF" then dropped it on the concrete and went, woohoo.

Fly took hers gently and put it on the concrete and it cracked...

They were however both very excited about what was inside and ate shell and all.

:thumbsup:

Guest LittlePixie

Holly is an idiot with whole eggs... she'll take them, violently SPIT them onto the floor and THEN eat them.

She doesn't clean up well enough though... so I just crush the whole eggs up in their vegie mix.

OK I have to ask, what goodness is there in the shell for the dogs?

Apparently they are a good source of calcium. Some of the K9 raw nutrition lists actually recommend saving any eggshells that a household may have, drying them and then putting them thru a coffee grinder and add the resulting powder to your dog's food as a calcium supplement - this is of course if you don't feed raw bones which themselves supply enough calcium :D

My two get a couple of eggs a week.... I just crack the shell slightly and they lick all the liquid out and then eat the shell too :thumbsup:

:D Hi everyone, nothing better than an egg but hate to put the damper on things but the white of the egg should never be given raw cause it destroys biotin which is a b-vitamin, if you must give your beloved a raw egg then I would separate the yolk from the white and give the yolk only, I actually give my darlings boiled eggs 3 times weekly, just wait for them to cool down and either peel them for some or throw them at others who catch it midair and they love every morsel of it - btw I also read sometime ago that the egg shell has to be cooked before administering to your dog because of cooking the shell is supposed to destroy some bacteria that it contains - I don't know about that one as we all know by now that dogs for one have a shorter digestive system to us mere mortals and plus they produce more stomach acids and hence that is why they can get away with eating rotten duck eggs (yuckie) and not end up with food poisoning or eating rotting meat that they've burried days before (double yuckie); although I hasten to add that I feed my dogs a handful at a time and they're is nothing left over once tucker time is finished, I'm a firm believer of the BARF diet and wouldn't opt for anything else.

:thumbsup:

:D ;)

I was out at a friends farm, we were sitting on the verandah having a coffee,

when there was an almighty cackling coming from the chook pen down the back,

when we went to investigate, her old Rottie bitch was coming out with a very full mouth,

My friend demanded that she drop what was in her mouth, well this dog gently dropped the first two eggs on the grass,

but flatley refused to give up the 3rd one :D :thumbsup:

she looked at the eggs looked back up at us and just calmly walked off to her kennel.

It was amazing to see firstly how she could fit three in her mouth , and not break a single one! :D

and then the defiant look on her face :love: like she had done us a favour by collecting the eggs and this was her reward :rofl: