Grooming Setters (irish)

i have a junior RAS membership which means i can enter as many times as i like. But i will be going this thursday (15) as the English Setters are showing and Phin's breeder will be there and i will be there on the last day.

It depends really, i live in moonee ponds and it is about a 5min drive/10 min train ride to the showgrounds and I have school holidays now! :thumbsup:

Alainnah discuss with the breeder the right tools whilst at the show,they can save you alot of money if you purchase wasted products.

I dont use a slicker on my showdogs but for pet people the right one isnt an issue.I use the plush puppy brush but that is purely useful on a show washed coat & a comb in between maintaince baths i dont brush ,we do have mason pearson but dont find them as good as the plush puppy.

My setters do have heavy coats but the key is maintence good maintence then it doesnt matt

Alainnah that is expensive stuff for the pet person especially there brushes,i dont use them as i feel for the cost my other brush does better.

Depending on what your looking for i would stick to good basics.Discuss with your breeder at the show what they suggest.

For a good basic pet person i would suggest a good gentle slicker,a good comb .

A slick & easy stone that you can use on the top coat or coat king depending on the coat.If the dog is being proffessionally trimmed a few times a year that will also keep the feet,throat & coat in order but alot will depend on the coat texture as englishes coats can vary in maintence levels depending on the texture

Hi all,

I went to the show yesterday and spoke to my breeder and the other English Setter people. There was a really nice lady who i talked to that took me around the stands that sold grooming tools and showed me which ones would be suitable for a setter. I ended up buying a comb with fine and medium spaced teeth. With the brushes, i am ordering one wholesale through my breeder as it will work out cheaper. He also told me which brush would actually work on a setter. As some bristles were so dense they wouldn't go through the coat I am getting one with pins that are smooth so they won't hurt his skin and will actually travel through his feathers (if that makes sense!).

Thanks again

Alainnah :thumbsup: