Playing With Water

BRENDAN

Our girl, a 7.5 month old Airedale, has recently taken to playing with her water, trying to scoop it out of her bowl with her paws.

Problem is that we don't want her to run out of water.

Anyone experienced similar behaviour and/or have a solution to this problem?

Cheers

Brendan

that sounds so cute! I too have a clam shell filled with water and Casper lies down in it when he's hot. Bella walks around in it, sticking her head under water and snorting! They have too much fun in it!

Have you thought about buying a water bowl which self-fills from an overturned bottle? I have seen them at pet shops but I'm sure you might find them cheaper on e-bay or something?

Edited by White Shepherd mom

I understnad your concerns and what people have reccomended sound good.

The other option could be one of those water bowls that you screw a 1.25l softdrink bottle into and it refils as the dog drinks. They are about $10.

I would go with the clam pool!

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

We need something pretty heavy as she like to pick up her plastic bowl, run away and chew it.

Sounds like the clam pool could be a go, especially over the summer months.

Thanks again!

Befoer I set up the clam shell I used to have one of the large square storage tubs (about 25 litre I think it was ) set up under the tap. It was pretty rare that it ever ran out and way to heavy for my big boy to pick up and carry around. Could be an idea for the time being.

My dogs are the same...I have two water bowls outside and one inside and they're forever tipping the outside ones over and playing with them and I'm worried they wont have enough water during summer while I'm not at home.

When I've got some money I'm looking at getting a sensor thing put on my tap outside...when the dogs come close to the tap it turns on so they can drink, and when they've had enough and move away it turns off again.

I think they're made by Innotek, not sure how much though, I need to find the magazine again so I can order one for my two.

Jyra used to do this too, at her mother's house in particular. I call it 'digging in the water'. One day, I bought her a large plastic bowl for her water and the first day that I gave it to her and went to work, she had destroyed by the time I came home. Boy was I mad at her!!

I ended up buying a stainless steel pot from the op shop (like a stock pot, two short handles on each side, not one long handle) and it is indestructable, and Jyra doesn't dig in it, maybe because it is too small for her to dig in, although it is a large pot.

I have a toddler's paddling pool too, but for some reason Jyra doesn't play in it, although she loves swimming and playing with the hose.

I just discvered the other day at the herding workshop, that Jyra's digging in water habit has not stopped!! She decided to dig in water bowls there! They are the same as what was at her mother's house.

I would recommend that you follow the above suggestions, plus my additional recommendation is to get a stainless steel pot or something similar (casserole dish maybe?) from an op shop and see if that makes a difference. Make sure that it's diameter is not too big though. Jyra's bowl would probably be about 20cm in diameter (an estimate).

Well I was down at the stock feed place this arvo getting dog food. Those refilling water troughs are $45 and they are on legs about 8 inches tall so that the dog is less inclined to dig in them, also the legs are designed so that you can peg them to the grass so they can't carry them away. They look great! I might get one for my chooks...

Guest LittlePixie

I went out to Bunnings last week and bought a 75litre red bucket for $10. Filled it with water and then stacked bricks in it, so that if the little dogs try jumping in, they can climb out again easily and not drown!

It's working great. Doesn't empty out and Holly can't pick it up and carry it around :thumbsup:

My dog has a mad water digging obsession - more so in the clamshell outside (thank god we got that) than the water bowl inside (water goes everywhere). He also has a very funny habit of blowing bubbles in the water. Just rests his snout in the bowl then after a few seconds starts blowing bubbles. Funniest thing ever. :thumbsup::whip::rofl: Looks like he's trying to smell out something.

Tim

Try putting a brick in the water bowl.

If a whole brick wont fit then halve it.

It takes a lot of the fun out of digging the water out and even if they do dig it, there is usually still some water left in the bottom of the dish that they just can't dig out - so at least they won't die of thirst. :rofl:

How about a stainless steel bucket with a brick in the bottom under the tap. Much to heavy for most dogs to lift and carry around. The other thing you can do is dig a hole and put the bucket in it. Not ideal but it does work.

Personally we have troughs that we have full of water. They can go swimming in them if they must but they very rarely are emptied. We also use the same type for our sheep.

Our clam shell is currently empty and gets dragged around the yard by all and sundry and is a great place for playing keepings off.

And all of ours love the hose when we are filling up their buckets and troughs.