Book Recommendation(s)

My father purchased one of the pups from my litter, Tilly is now almost 9 months old and they get along great but I feel she plays him like a piano too much.

My dad is not a novice dog owner but he's changed his entire interaction this time around. Previously, dogs were always allowed to do what they like basically (didn't want to break their "spirit" and turn them into a robot) and he used physical punishment (smacks) in training what he did expect. This time around he wants to train as positively as possible and wants to do dog sports and things that require a high level of training.

Tilly's very smart and I feel she is being dominant with him. She jumps up a lot, demands attention and is constantly trying to play games (frisbee and obedience) HER way not Dads. We talk almost weekly and I give him tips and help out but I can tell he gets a bit embarassed at having his daughter teach him stuff and I think he'd learn the ideas quicker from a book (if it's the right book). I also feel he is struggling in his efforts to be positive and is being too easy on her.

So, does anyone have any recommendations for some good books on understanding dog behaviour, dog training (for sports not just pet behaviour) and the like? (Especially if they speak of dealing with the dominant or leader dog)

Edited by molasseslass

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Understanding Dog Behaviour: The Dog's Mind by Bruce Fogle. Think Dog (can't remember author)

Training: Purely Positive Training, Clicker Training for Obedience.

Edited to add - is he a member of a dog training club. No book is a substitute for decent hands on instruction IMO.

Edited by poodlefan

The Culture Clash will burst some bubbles and is pretty direct... and The Other end of the Leash.

If he wants to do trialling there is "Clicker Training for Obedience".

Nat

is he a member of a dog training club. No book is a substitute for decent hands on instruction IMO.

He attends the monthly frisbee training clinics (drives 2.5 hours to attend!) and has started formal obedience classes with Tilly. He is really willinging to ask and listen to advise at training but sometimes is a little shy about it, so misses out. He is trying SO hard to do stuff with her and REALLY wants to be good at it (don't worry, I'm working on easing this pressure he puts on himself).

The books are more to bring his thought processes up-to-date (i.e. so he thinks "she's trying to dominate me here" instead of "Oh she's so cute" or "Oh she's just too tired/distracted to do it properly") and something he can read at home, in-between classes.

Koehler Method of Dog Training. A practical step by step guide to train your dog - perfect for competitive obedience. Takes you through day by day until the end. Most comprehensive method for training your dog I have seen.

Can get second hand copies through amazon, or else check out your local library for a copy.

Ebay nearly always has copies of Koehler

Koehler had his place and has his place still in history, but I like to think dog training has moved on.

I wonder what books will be available when we are all gone? How I wish I could see into the future. What other markers will be available? Laser clickers, LOL?

:D It had better be good for $291 Herr Rott! Thanks for the suggestion though.  :eek:

Where did you find the books.

I found volume III on another site but I could not find volume 1 and 2.

Can dogs read, LOL?

Julija from the NDTF can oragnise books if you want to call her, that's where I get mine from.