What Vegetables Shouldn't You Feed Dogs?

Norskgra

I have only been feeding my dogs BARF for 5 1/2 weeks and I am extremely happy with it.

One of our bitches has gone from being told that she was under weight to being told last night at training that she is in fantastic condition. Our other dogs have all improved as well.

I normally just look at what vegetables are in season and cheap. I usually rotate the vegetables for variety. Thier mixture may include broccoli, carrots, parsnip, spinach, bok choy, celery, zucchin, apple, cauliflower, sweet potato. I would like to add different vegetables as well for more variety.

What I would like to know is apart from onions, what vegetables shouldn't you feed them?

Hi

I have read that zuccini is not recommended - also too many leafy greens tend to have a symphonic affect on our dogs here - it makes their tummies rumble and squeak :thumbsup: I cut out the silverbeet and replaced it with brocolli and that seems to have done the trick.

We use:

apple without pips

carrots

brocolli

celery

sweet potato

garlic

We then mulch it up in a blender and add equal parts of apple cider vinegar and organic honey - mix that in it as well - we do a months supply at a time and feeze them.

They have all done so well on it and even our old gentleman of the pack has an extra zip in his step.

Cheers

Maria

I try not to feed too many cruciferous veggies eg. only one per mix. That's your cauliflower, brocolli, boy choy etc.

Other than onions and tomatoes, I have no prohibitions. Try raw beetroot for an interesting colour mix - going in and coming out. :shrug::thumbsup:

I usually have fruit in my mix - apples, pears, banana, dead avocado...

Hi Poodlefan, I usually don't feed them the cauliflower, broccoli and bok choy at the sametime.

I might try some raw beetroot for a surprise. They love apples, pineapple, apricots and pears. I haven't tried them on any other fruit yet.

Woolliwag, I have tried giving them apple cider vinegar and none of them will touch thier food, even our pups who are gutses.

Edited by norskgra

The beetroot sounds interesting :shrug:

Might give that a go for a bit of a suprise!

Ours weren't keen on the apple cider vinegar at first but mixed with honey it gave an extra zip to their vegies - but they didn't have a whole lot of choice in the matter and soon got used to it :thumbsup: after I nmad eup a huge batch and froze it that was what they were getting. By the time I had finished the batch they were used to it. I did start off with only a little ACV and incresed it as I went along.

I really must try the beetroot - will let you know what happens with the five here...

Cheers

Maria

Guest LittlePixie
I try not to feed too many cruciferous veggies eg. only one per mix. That's your cauliflower, brocolli, boy choy etc.

Why? :shrug:

I thought it was supposed to be mainly green leafy (is that what cruciferous is?) vegies... so my mix is mostly green stuff... :thumbsup: (plus carrot and apple and paw paw and strawberries and random other things...)

Little Pixie there are studies that link consumption of large amounts of cruciferous veggies to suppression of a dogs thyroid function. If you do some internet searching on hypothyroidism, you should find the info. I think one of Billinghurst's books talks about it too. The general advice seems to be not to overfeed them - once again as much variety as you can manage in your veggies is the key. I've been known to add green barley or alfalfa powder to the mix to increase that side but Powerblend contains it anyway.

Norskra, you may need to cut back on the amount of apple cider vinegar you are adding to the mix before the dogs will accept it. I cheat and add a teaspoon full to every bowl of water I get the dogs - they drink it happily. :thumbsup:

I can vouch for the impact of you dishing up a veggie mix with beetroot in it when you have non RAW feeding visitors in the house - its bright purple!

My dead avocadoes tend to be either made into guacamole (drool) or end up on Nachos but occasionally the dogs score - they get the odd chunk from the salad bowl too.

Edited by poodlefan

Guest LittlePixie
I think one of Billinghurst's books talks about it too.

The book I have says "excessive amounts of the cabbage family.... over a long period..."

I think the only one I have in the mix is broccoli... and green beans... the rest is cucumber and a few types of lettuce (not iceberg)... that should be okay yeah?

Did someone say you shouldn't feed zucchini? Because there's zucchini in my mix too. I think two or three small zucchinis divided up among 10 or 15 feeds for both Holly AND Brody... so it should be okay...? argh.

I feed zucchini occasionally Pixi, and I haven't heard of it being bad until now. I would maybe cut the zucchine down a bit though to one between 15 meals. I too feed alot of green leafy, as I read it should make up the main part of the vege mix. Instead of feeding mainly broccolia and green beans perhaps change it to spinach. I read that too much cabbage, cauli, etc is bad too.

Guest LittlePixie

I thought spinach was the issue!!!! Gah!

Sorry, it's not mainly broccoli and green beans... I meant those are the only members of that family in the mix. One bunch of broccoli and a handful of green beans.

This diet is so confusing sometimes :thumbsup:

LP personally, I wouldn't bother with lettuce - its mostly water.

I make it a rule (or is it more of a guideline) to feed one fruit, one root vegetable and one green vegetable per mix as a minimum. In practice, the mix always includes apples and carrots and I also feed zucchini reasonably frequently. I also use broccoli, cauliflower, boy choy and other asian greens, sweet potato, pumpkin, aspargaus (on special only), beetroot and any other thing that takes my fancy (except for onion and tomato). I've tried everything from pineapple and strawberries to parsnips and the dogs still eat it happily. :thumbsup:

The book I have says "excessive amounts of the cabbage family.... over a long period..."

I think the only one I have in the mix is broccoli... and green beans... the rest is cucumber and a few types of lettuce (not iceberg)... that should be okay yeah?

Cabbage and endive greens and asian greens etc (some of which I think are also crucifera) produce the most appalling farts in my lot.

When they got into the rotten cabbages that had been pulled out of the garden after a late frost... pheeeewwww... :party:

A little bit at a time seems to be ok though. And green beans seem to be great, if you can get them cheap enough.

Poodlefan - are you absolute with your avoidance of tomato? I've been using leftovers of our salad in their dog-pulp, and that often has bits of tom in it, and also their tinned fish is often in tom sauce. Is it just the acidity of the tom which I think is problematic if there's arthritis or is there a further reason?

How much apple cider vinegar should I be giving them?

And on a slight tangent - how much should be in their water bowls? Someone (ellz I think?) has mentioned it a couple of times re hotspots and grass-burning but I'm not sure how much to put in... and I got the dirtiest look from Grace this morning when she tasted it... :party: Maybe I've put too much in?

Mana, I've read that, being members of the nightshade family, tomatoes are toxic to dogs...

Oh right...

Does that mean no eggplant either?

I had a slightly mouldy one I was going to use last week but something in the back of my head said no... don't do it... :party:

I have just returned from doing the shopping and have bought a good variety of vegetables for the dogs, including beetroot. I am about to make some for them. I usually do it one day in advance while I am on holidays. Tomorrow should be interesting when they try it.

The dogs eat better than we do. They get fresh vegetables while we eat frozen!!!!!

Edited by norskgra

The dogs eat better than we do. They get fresh vegetables while we eat frozen!!!!!

Of course. :party:

I dont have any problems with califlower and broccoli, its in my mix of ...pumpkin, califlower, broccoli, swede, zuccini, carrots. That is my main mix.

But I also add any leftover vegies that the family will leave, and that can be potatoes, beans, peas, and brussel sprouts too and whatever else is in season that the kids wont touch.

I too add 3 zuccinis for my monthly mix.

I believe if you are worried about any reactions to a vegetable just give a bit when you have some.

Most definately no onions or tomatoes.

For a months feeding, my 30kg dog gets 2-4 tablespoons of cider vinegar mixed in - not exact you, know, just slurp away)

I also throw in some minced/ground liver or kidney - covers any taste she may not like anyway!

She also gets whole carrots on a fairly regular basis.

At last visit, vet said her teeth were really good. "You feed her a lot of bones?" he said. I wasn't game to mention the carrots. :party:

cheers