Grooming A Rough Coat Jrt

Tawnydal

Hi my mum has a rough coat JRT which is just a pet but I though I might like to show him in local open show. He is very hairy and has never been stripped 1st question How much hair to remove? 2nd question do I have to strip him right back?

Has anyone got a photo to show what they should look like for shows? Would you use a mars comb on him?

Thanks is advance!

Edited by gracesmum

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just PMd you, Gracesmum.

For future reference, if ever you want to PM someone just click on the pm box under their post.

Expert my big hairy butt, BL, but thanks for the plug.

Edited by raz

I've just sent a pretty lengthy reply, GM, and hope it hasnt put you off. Now looking for pics..........

Oh by the way - I do about 30 minutes then let the dog scamper around to 1. for him to have a break, 2. rest my hands and have a smoke, coffee 3. check out what I've done (or stuffed up :rofl: ) from a distance.

LOTS of chalk if hand stripping!!! I dont wash until after stripping, but if you go for the mars method - wash and dry first.

Edited by raz

Hi GM :love:

Shame you are up in Geraldton, I'd love to get my mits on your hairy boy!! *evil laugh* (Hey Raz... Gero is about 5-6 hours drive north from me :love: )

You will need to remove all the dead top coat. I use a Mars stripping knife for this and/or hand strip wearing a rubber glove.

I use thinning scissors on the legs, elbows, bum, underneath the tail, chest and their "mane".

I have a smaller stripping knife for their legs & face, taking all the dead hair off their cheeks, eyebrows, head, ears, etc.

Trim the excess hair from inside their ears with scissors.

Cut out all the hair from inbetween his pads then go around the foot while it's flat on the grooming table, so it's nice & neat & round.

That's about all I do with mine... but, they are broken coated, not roughs. They say a rough coated dog should be shown as such and not stripped right back to look broken or smooth, however if I had a true rough coat I'd want them looking as neat & tidy as possible... without taking it too far :rofl:

I hope that was some help... but probably nothing that Raz hasn't already told you. Shame you aren't down in Perth as I could give you a hand!

Good stuff, Meriment :rofl: You said it well.

GM - get ready for the ride of your life :love: Nothing quite like getting a chunky mini afghan (wild rough coat) ready for a show :love: It's almost like pruning in the garden........once you start you cant stop!

• 2 months later...