Grooming A Rough Coat Jrt

Tawnydal

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No you havent gone too far, GM, and that's the hard part when first starting out. Knowing when to stop. It's like pruning a rose bush. I get snap happy and all of a sudden there's only one twig left ;)

With the feet - just neaten them up so they look small and catlike. Doesnt stripping bring up richness in the tan? I do think he was rather cute unstripped though. The Little Spud-Meister!

Oh Man - reminds me of what Mac looked like when I first got him, stripped and neat. He now looks a mess - might get my lovely friendly groomer to have a go at him so I can remember just how cute he looked stripped - he is still cute now though.

post-22-1134860097.jpg

Edited by Trisven13

Yes was rather suprise how much diffent he looks now hes stripped! He has been such a good boy while it was getting done! He came to stay yesterday so most of it was done then with the help of the dallys ;) Dad was really glad when his head was done it made him look like a JRT not a malt X :clap:

I dont use a pumice stone, GM. I think it breaks the coat although I will give a go at using it on ears when I get around to buying one. I like crisp, neat ears. For the rest of the bod I use rubber thimbles. Stripping knife on the legs for nice neat lines and under the jaw. I never use a knife on the head and face because it can take out a chunk. Knife for ontop of tail, and scissors for underneath.

2c worth from the worlds worst coat stripper-

FOLLOW RAZ'S ADVICE -DON'T USE THE STONE!!

I found out recently that the reason my boy's coat hasn't been responding well to stripping was my use of the stone. With some coats it works fine, but not Henry's and it was the reason his colour looked dull and broken. All sorted now. I have thrown out the stone!

Hi GM!! Got your PM :cool:

He's looking great, you'd done a really fantastic job, that was one hairy boy and he's looking immensly better!!

I agree with Raz - keep going just a liiiiiittle bit more. A bit more can come off the top of his head, and his ears... his tail (mainly underneath where all the whispy bits are), and his legs (his front knees look a bit hairy still), and neaten up around his feet.

:laugh:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...