Hormone Implant?

I was speaking to a work colleague today who used to be a vet nurse, I was telling her about the problem we have with Toby (that he can be aggressive towards other dogs). She mentioned that there is a hormone implant that he can have which could help.

Just wondering if anyone has heard of this? I called my vet and he didnt know anything about it.

Thanks

Mel

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder how the implant differs in hormonal effect from a desexing operation?

I was speaking to a behaviourist this week (Delta and NDTF trained) who said that it was now "pretty much scientifically proven" (I have no idea about his basis for saying this) that (in male dogs at least) desexing doesn't reduce aggressive tendencies, but rather reduces the desire of other dogs to challenge.

i.e. the changes noted in behaviour after desexing are not in fact due to the dog mellowing, but are actually due to the reduction in the challenges the dog faces, since he's not giving off Big Entire Male Testosterone Vibes anymore.

Have others heard this?

I wonder how the implant differs in hormonal effect from a desexing operation?

I was speaking to a behaviourist this week (Delta and NDTF trained) who said that it was now "pretty much scientifically proven" (I have no idea about his basis for saying this) that (in male dogs at least) desexing doesn't reduce aggressive tendencies, but rather reduces the desire of other dogs to challenge.

i.e. the changes noted in behaviour after desexing are not in fact due to the dog mellowing, but are actually due to the reduction in the challenges the dog faces, since he's not giving off Big Entire Male Testosterone Vibes anymore.

Have others heard this?

:laugh: I have been telling people that for years!!! Finally someone in a labcoat backed me up.

Do you know whether it affects the implanted dog's behaviour, or does it change the way the dog appears to other potential challengers?

Sounds like it might be very useful even in the short term during retraining and desensitisation?

Do you know whether it affects the implanted dog's behaviour, or does it change the way the dog appears to other potential challengers?

K9: lol, it wont change the dogs outward appearance other than the fact the dog may not display aggressive body language.

Sounds like it might be very useful even in the short term during retraining and desensitisation?

K9: yes & its harmless as its simply a balance of hormones.

What about undesexed bitches ?

K9: they may benefit if there is a hormone imbalance...

K9: lol, it wont change the dogs outward appearance other than the fact the dog may not display aggressive body language.

:confused: That's sort of what I meant, but I'm also trying to understand how it fits in with desexing reducing the challenges faced by the desexed dog - by "appearance" I meant pheremones/smells etc as well...

So it sounds like this implant might hormonally calm the implanted dog,

thus affecting its behaviour,

as opposed to desexing which (in males at least),

might help by reducing the challenges the desexed dog is faced with - ie affecting the behaviour of other dogs?

Have I made sense this time? :thumbsup:

Edited by Mana

Commonly known fact that desexing female dog can raise / aggravate / increase aggression

I noticed an immediate change in me samoyed when she was desexed and not in a good way. Tried talking to my vet who wouldnt have a bar of that notion. Have since moved and even the new vet doesnt believe that. Does anyone have any links to literature that desexing females can increase aggression and hormone implants can relieve some of the symptoms? Would love to be able to go to the vet and say see.... hormone injection now please

hahaha my boy seems more aggressive a month after being de-sexed......

:thumbsup:

I've heard different people say different lengths of time, but maybe in a few weeks the "boy-juice" will have dissipated a bit, sas...

I've been told everything from 2 weeks to a year for the testosterone levels to settle...

Good to know that there is something out there that may help him, now I just have to search around for a vet that knows about it.

The girl from work is from Melbourne and she absolutley raved about it (she had a dog agressive dog) she swears it was almost like someone had switched her dog...she went from having to muzzel him everytime they walked anywhere to taking him to the offlead parks.

I wonder if this is the implant:

http://www.theveterinarian.com.au/industry.../article498.asp

Remember too, drugs are continuing produced. Many vets are not aware of many, until the reps call in!!!!

So was this the right product?

It does say in that blurb that behavioural changes are a sort of side effect...

Just wondering if Suprelorin ® was the one K9Force etc were referring to cause I'd want to know exactly what I was asking for if my vet hadn't heard of it.

Would it help at all in desexed males? Presumably they're not producing any testosterone once they're desexed, are they?