Starting Agility

Norskgra, we have a Norweigan Elkhound at our club who has agility titles.

Every club has different requirements for starting agility. The folks at Sutherland would be the ones to talk too. However, a rock solid 'stay', a fast recall and the ability to focus on you are all important skills a dog requires.

Many dogs carry too much weight to train safely for agility - our club fails about 30% of potential starters and we usually advise those who pass the physical to get more weight off the dogs. If you can't feel your dog's ribs without placing pressure on them, I'd be looking to get some weight off.

Unfortunately, an acceptable weight in the conformation ring, is usually considered overweight for an agility dog. :rofl:

Definately need to have a stay and excellent recall. Also if your considering doing Obedience as well teach the dog to work on both sides of you otherwise it can be very hard to get the dog working on the right in agility - I learnt that one the hard way :rofl:

Thanks poodlefan and kelpiecuddles.

My oldest boys father and oldest girls half sister have Agility titles. My oldest two have tried Agility at Expos and loved it.

Their weight is not a problem as other Elkhound breeders have told us that our dogs need to put weight on because they are too thin. As far as the Vet and myself are concerned they pass the weight test easily. The only one who could lose a bit of weight is our almost 6 month old girl but I am not too worried about her yet. I will speak to Sutherland next time I go.

Hazz - We are lucky. They don't have a problem working on the right.

I know they will need more training but I was just interested.

Edited by norskgra

That is why I keep them lean. It does annoy me when other Elkhound breeders say that they are too thin. I think their dogs are too fat. Ours can't be too bad because they still do reasonably well in the ring for a rare breed. I suppose you can't please everyone!

Sutherland Obedience has an Agility tryout every second month when dogs are assessed for suitability. They must be 12 months old and able to work off lead, although when they first start they are on lead. I'll find out for you, but would think that the next intake will be February next year. Beginners agility is Wednesday night - 7.30pm.

Canine Mans Best Friend class has a beginners agility component in it where dogs get to do all the various obstacles (on lead). I like to get the younger dogs through the tunnel and tyre early while they don't have any fear and they seem to remember this for later on. Before you flame me, this is all encouragement and no dog is forced to do anything. You wouldn't believe how rewarding it is to get that difficult dog through the tunnel. And then of course once he has done it you can't get him to stop! Their owners act like they've won the lottery. :D

We do have such fun. :) :D :o

I am not sure how big Norwegian Elkhounds are, but I would not start jumping them or putting them over the raised equipment until they are at full height.

If the the growth plates at the ends of a dog's bones have not fully closed, then putting stress on them will cause damage that may show up as arthritis when the dog is older.

The tunnel and the weaves and working the dog on the right hand side are good things to start when the dog is young. This can be started at the same time that obedience training is started.

Thanks Everyone,

I would only consider my older 22 month and 17 month old ones who are fully grown. I know that they will need more obedience training before they start but I am just looking ahead for something fun for them to do.

Greytmate:

The tunnel and the weaves and working the dog on the right hand side are good things to start when the dog is young.

I would disagree about the weavers. It is demanding equipment on a growing body. My vet (also chiropractically qualified) advises NO jumping and NO weaving until the dog is fully grown.

We do some weaving through witches hats and also work on the right hand side at show training. The idea behind this is so that the dogs don't anticipate what you are going to do. They can be too smart and think they know where they are going. It also helps to stop them from crabbing.

Greytmate:
The tunnel and the weaves and working the dog on the right hand side are good things to start when the dog is young.

I would disagree about the weavers. It is demanding equipment on a growing body. My vet (also chiropractically qualified) advises NO jumping and NO weaving until the dog is fully grown.

:D PF

Can ask those who participate in agility whether they have any pitbulls in their clubs?

The reason i ask is that in a couple of weeks i've organised for my boofhead and myself to go down to a agility club to have him checked over. When i called them to chat they did say that they accept all breeds. When i then said "pitbull". "Ummm" was there 1st response then i got a "yes"

I have no idea where this will end up but i do know when boofhead has a play on agility equipment he just looooves it.

I'd agree that that proper weaving (poles straight, in a line, so dog has to bend through them) should be left until the dog is full-grown, but I think its reasonable to start training them earlier, depending on what method you are using. Some people I know have started 6mo+ pups doing "channel" weave poles, leaving the channel at dog-body-width until the dog is full grown, and others have started pups on the Susan Garrett 2x2 method.

Its probably reasonable to do this, letting the dog get a good grounding in doing poles FAST, and always entering on the correct side- and if its a wide channel +/or not many poles (3 or 4) its not too stressful.

Personally I think I'll leave weave poles until late in training for my new dogs, and try to teach it quickly. My current young dog managed to learn weaving from scratch in 3 weeks, and its not perfect, but its a start. I'm starting to think that doing a wide channel or wide slanted poles for too long is counter-productive for many dogs, and they'd do better if the poles were brought up straight quickly. The other benefit to leaving weave-pole training until later is that you have an idea of which technique the dog will be physically capable of (bouncing or single-striding), and can tailor the training towards that, and the physically mature dog can learn the correct rhythm early on.

Re APBTs- I've heard of many clubs that don't allow them to train, so don't be surprised if you turn up and get some bad news :mad . Or they may ask you to train with a muzzle on. Your best chance is a club that's on private land- our clubs often train in public parks, and I've been told that "restricted breeds" like greyhounds and APBTs still have to obey those restrictions at training. On private land, restrictions about leashes and muzzles don't apply :rolleyes: .

You may want to do some research about APBTs who've been very successful in agility etc overseas. There is a lovely story in an old book I have ("Enjoying Dog Agility- from backyard to competition" by Julie Daniels) about Brenda Buja (one of the early leaders in US agility, and inventor of the Buja Board). She was asked to take a stray dog and her new litter from a shelter to foster, and was very worried when she found it was a pitbull. But the dog (Max) turned out to be wonderful in temperament and athleticism, and she and Brenda went on to do the CGC, did obedience demos, and qualified for and competed in the 1990 national agility finals- only one year after her rescue. Brenda also kept a pup (Tiger- pitbullX)- who can be seen on the agility DVD recently produced by Julie Daniels. Lovely story :)

A good google of pitbulls and agility would bring up some other nice stories and info, and you could print it out and take it along to your first agility class, just in case you get a hard time. I'm sure I don't need to tell you this, but you will probably need to be extra vigilant about your dog's behaviour and keeping him under great control- even if he's the nicest natured dog on earth, all it will take is one episode of running of to play chasey with an exciting dog, and people may start complaining. Agility is very exciting, even well-trained obedience dogs sometimes go a bit nuts- and pitbulls are judged by different standards to other dogs, unfortunately.

Good luck, and have a great time!