Prey Drive Control & Focus..

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks all,

I feel guilty by adding my news on this thread, as once again it has changed the subject matter.

But, just in case, other readers are intereted to know of my darling Ses, she was laid to rest a couple of days ago, due to aggressive mammary cancer, at 6 years of age. She had three operations in attempting to arrest the disease, since her diagnosis just 2 months ago.

Her quality of life had been checked once a week. Unfortunately at the last check her lymph glands had also become enlarged and due to lack of oxgyen her tongue had started to turn blue. After the last vet appointment we went for a walk to a local park where she kindly showed me how she had declined over 24 hours.

She always made me proud and I have gained great comfort in knowing I have given her this last kindness.

Hi again LL,

In an addition to my pm I would like to share this with all the DOL'ers regarding the loss of you your beloved Sesame.

I read some time ago about a young boys thoughts on the loss of his beloved dog and his acceptance of the fact that dogs don't live as long as humans.

His thoughts were:

"Everybody is born so that they can learn how to live a good life - like loving everybody and being nice. Dogs already know how to do that so they don't have to stay as long!" such a loving thought.

Just remember - a quote, "your dog is your friend, your partner, your defender. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion" - unknown.

:)

Julie

Sardog/Julie, Thanks, and to everyone else who has extended their thoughts to me. I have to admit, Ses's illness, knocked my feet from under me. To say the least, it has been a very stressful year, and by her passing, she left me another gift, which only became apparent over the last couple of days. The flood gates finally opened, my tears fell without check.

To everyone who has a dog, please find the best veterinary advice, if you think your dog is off colour. They are so stoic. Hindsight is great, 20/20 vision, but my dogs are with me virtually 24 hours per day. I check for mammary lumps every week, but I did not locate Ses's originally. We visited three vets, when the original tiny lump was first detected and all were not concerned, as her spinal injury seemed to be more of an issue. I do not, for a second, blame the vets. The aggressiveness of her cancer surprised us all.

In passing, since learning of the advantages of creating drive close to me- and the other bonuses, Ses also improved. She was always a good marker but her blinds (hidden retrieves) on land were our bone of contection. Not her failing, my training.

Back to training, in prey drive, we go. Thankyou.

Edited by Lablover

Why are dogs more foccussed with prey than food is it because the instinct to catch and kill is muh higher that eatng so they dont give up chasing food in the wild.

connor is coming along in leaps and bounds we had a set back with sore eyes but hes over that now but we are getting really good smal spurts of heeling better for the toy than food

WE have been working on positions at a dstance whih he knows very well and am just starting on going to the box as i want that fast and he has always gone no prob but trotted to it

yb

We have proofed our dogs with live rabbits running across their path while working and they haven't battered and eyelid STS...but they have been training with this since puppies, so they are used to it.

I have read all this post and find the subject very interesting.

Would love to come to a seminar and learn more about it.

I have never trained a dog this way but having said that some general comments would be

It's easier to proof dogs against distractions like rabbits if the dog has never hunted them.

The English retriever trainers often use a rabbit pen

I would like to see a few dogs trained this way hunted over live game.

Just to see if they still hold the toy in such high regard when there is blooded fresh game at hand.

The only hunting bred dogs I have seen up till now that don't go up another gear with live game lack the genetic background to be good hunting dogs.

(not attacking your dogs breeding here Sardog)

Country Joe.

I cannot let this important thread, fall off Page 1. :rofl:

Country Joe

I have read all this post and find the subject very interesting.

Would love to come to a seminar and learn more about it.

I have no idea of your experience with gundogs, but trust me it would open your eyes. From my own personal view, it has also given me new ideas and lots of headaches. :(

Country Joe

The English retriever trainers often use a rabbit pen

They sure do. Even one wee noise, will have them disqualified in a trial.

Can I ask at this time, your dog interests?

Edited: Oh brother, just when I thought I had this fancy quoting worked out.

Edited by Lablover

Country Joe:  The English retriever trainers often use a rabbit pen

They sure do. Even one wee noise, will have them disqualified in a trial.

Lablover .... this is not my 'field' so I don't understand this part - would you mind explaining please? (I'm just interested, is all ... :( )

BTW - Your quotes are coming along fine :rofl:

PS ... (OT) Has everyone's font changed here on DOL ... or is it just me??

Erny:  (I'm just interested, is all ...  :( )

So interested, I thought I'd post it twice! :rofl:

Sorry - server error ....

ETA: My font seems to have re-adjusted itself ... that's better. :(

Edited by Erny

My interest is hunting with my dogs. I have played around the edges of a few dog games and like most people who live in the country I think I have bred a couple of handy dogs (not that I would call myself a breeder) but I would have to say hunting is what interests me.

Country Joe

Dual purpose...fetches tennis balls and wags its tail.

Multipurpose: fetches tennis balls AND frisbees, wags its tail, looks good in bandanna

Correct conformation: has 4 legs and a tail

Good disposition: Ugly as sin

Hunt prospect: Ugly as sin and hyperactive

Good with kids: only bites adults

Show quality: no retrieve desire

Champion bloodlines: no titles for 5 generations

Athletic: no fence can contain it. Pulls on leash like a sled dog.

Parents good hunters: no papers

vet checked: no health clearances

Started dog: left over puppy. Knows its name.

Trained dog: Sits on command

Finished dog: owner is finished trying to title it

Professional training: No amateur can handle it

Thought you all may enjoy the above.

Erny:

Lablover .... this is not my 'field' so I don't understand this part - would you mind explaining please? (I'm just interested, is all ...  )

They work on distractions until one year of age. Obedience is very important in their trials.

Country Joe:

My interest is hunting with my dogs. I have played around the edges of a few dog games and like most people who live in the country I think I have bred a couple of handy dogs (not that I would call myself a breeder) but I would have to say hunting is what interests me.

That is great CJ. My husband has just left to go hunting on the rice. He has taken none of our labs, LOL. A first!!!!, as our 11 year old ignores him (selective hearing LOL), and my two other trial dogs were not allowed to go because of my snake fear and in reality I call hunting, anti training.

He ended up happy when he remembered a one year old home bred labrador is in the party, and he can help the owner as a result. Co incidently one youngster who was trained using Steve's K9 methods, with great results.

Just thought I would add a couple of positives I personally achieved when training the one year old.

He learnt obedience in prey drive, he stopped on the whistle regardless of distance, in water and over. He learnt hand signals (casting) easier than ever before. Had a great attitude to training, as when he became confused and lost focus, I could easily put him back into drive, and his selection on which mark to pick up and distractions were brilliant too. His holding of retrieves was very simple too.

He has rehomed 4 months ago and his owner had continued his training, to the best of his ability. The lab has visited us on three occasions and every time he visits I cannot help myself by testing him. He has delighted me by keeping his good habits.

Edited by Lablover

What was he doing when he became confused and lost focus?

Did this ever happen at a distance?

If it did, were you able to switch the dog back into prey drive at a distance or did you have to go out to him or call him back in?

If hunting is all about getting the game and to hell with what the dog is doing then its no good for the dog. But that is a personal thing given the amount of time people have to go hunting and their level of dog training savy.

But I saw this at a couple of dog games too. People getting so worried about a stupid bit of ribbon or a few letters on their dogs name they don't do what is in the best interest of the dog.

I don't class my hunting as anti-training I think its an extention of it.

Country Joe

CJ

What was he doing when he became confused and lost focus?

He has being a normal puppy.

CJ

Did this ever happen at a distance?

If it did, were you able to switch the dog back into prey drive at a distance or did you have to go out to him or call him back in?

Yes it happened a long distances. Yes I was able to switch the youngster back into prey drive, by voice and assistance in the paddocks. As mentioned due to many exercises close to me, his sits were square to myself and re-focus was achieved. No head swinging and self hunting for example. Little stress as he had been conditioned to handle such.

CJ,

If hunting is all about getting the game and to hell with what the dog is doing then its no good for the dog. But that is a personal thing given the amount of time people have to go hunting and their level of dog training savy.

Dogs while hunting are used as a conservation tool. I am certainly concerned what the dog is doing, whilst hunting. Some, out of complete control thereby not doing their best. Breaking to shot being another danger.

CJ,

But I saw this at a couple of dog games too. People getting so worried about a stupid bit of ribbon or a few letters on their dogs name they don't do what is in the best interest of the dog.

What do us silly trailers do, that is not in the best interest of the dog?

CJ,

I don't class my hunting as anti-training I think its an extention of it.

Hunting is easy. Having a dog under control is a sight to behold.

I have seen silly trialers trying to handling their dogs well after the dog has lost focus and became very confused. Hell I have been guilty of that myself.

It is so true that having a dog under control is a sight to behold. That combined with a great finding dog is heaven.

I have seen some great hunting dogs in action and it still amazes me what they can do.

But this post is about prey drive and that is what I am interested in expanding my knowledge in.

Country Joe