Prey Drive Control & Focus..

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, thankyou kindly.

BTW, just another question at this time.

With dogs who are introduced to prey drive exercises at an older age, and a side effect being in my case, excitement trembling, will this settle down with time?

What's the deal with growling? When I do drive building with Zoe, she growls and growls when we play tug. Diesel is silent when we do drive training and tug. Zoe is generally a more vocal dog, and her nerves aren't as good as Diesel's.

K9: chasing a thrown ball doesnt take a genius, give him more work to do... He only needs to capture the ball... Not a big throw...

I always thought that others call me a genius for a reason :wave: or are you reffering to my dog? If the dog - than it takes a genius to put up with me, so in my eyes he is my little :thumbsup:

K9: Just like in the TOT, put the prey item on the ground, heel him with focus on you & then walk over & deploy the prey item.

I do that already, although I think I usually carry the item, sometimes hidden behind my back.

K9: yes but thats where training comes in & you teach the dog to more...

K9: more focus work required... This will tire out his mind..

Although I dont question nor opose anything you say, just one comment, he considers the big throw a reward if I kick the ball or throw it a short distance I might as well have it in my hand. To let him capture the ball in my hand is not rewarding enough, or sometimes, on occasion. He just gives up and is not so keen any more.

I have put several clips and you have an idea what he does and for how long before I reward. Yes we need improvement of the tasks and the duration, no doubt.

One more question, after he had enough running, excercising, training and Im on my way home I sometimes let him carry the ball home. He seems very proud and happy about it. Should I let him? I confiscate the ball as soon as we arrive at the gate but should I be confiscating it earlier?

Some other days I ask to do something than pretend to throw the ball, and hide the ball than he realises that it just dissapeared.

What should I be doing, or not doing?

What I also wanted to say when I mentioned that he collapses exhusted is that its not only form the physical running, he is all the time required to do something, rarely that he is to run and sniff bushes on his own. There are ducks and a goose on the golf course that he would like to chase, every day I go over there and practice stuff near those birds, or I let him wonder around and he of course wonders closer and closer to the birds. He gets a recall and more excercises.

As the recall is my main concern that is the nr 1 excercise. As there are no dogs that I can use as a distraction I use those birds.

With some pride I say that daily I get an audience made out of golfers watching me play with my dog. :wave:

Im back at my original question, not relating to my dog, just in general. Do they always want more an more?

---

damn quotes not working

Edited by myszka

The moment I posted at 6pm I was out the door for some training. Just walked in.

1.5 hour of continuous brain excercise. Heeling with seek back for a toy, accidently threw a toy into some heavy bushes, he had to find it, took him a while. Out of sight stays plus I came up with a new excercise, really silly - I have a stick and wave it above his head, or touch him with it and he has to do some stuff for me, ball hidden at the back of me or thrown somewhere. Drops on recall, sits on recall, stand stay on a walk (hopeless at that)

Some of these I have never done before (seek back, stand stay on walk)

Plus in all of that I asked for focus on my face (which can at times be a challenge in itself) but got it majority of time.

He might be brain tired but he isnt physically tired as much. Ill go again after dark so he can have a good no brainer run :thumbsup: After all I need to excercise as well, physically that is :wave:

My growling question was not related to the previous posters comments on growling. Just something I have noticed with my dogs and wondering if it was a problem that Zoe growls - it is not a nasty growl. But it is noisy!

Myszka,

I cannot help mentioning.........I am impressed you are allowed to train on a golf course!!!!

Ssshhhhh, Lablover. "Allowed" is not the operative word. :wave: It seems Myszka has developed a special relationship with the grounds keeper. She goes there, and he chases her off. :thumbsup:

Lablover :wave::thumbsup: :D

Its a public golf course, so anyone is allowed to walk there, dogs inclued (leashed) at their own risk.

Yes I have a very good relationship with the chief greenkeeper :crazy: :D :D

I walk out and if I see that his car is gone I know he wont be chasing me :rofl:

The trick is that he is definitelly affraid of my dog, and normally to get somewhere he rides a little motorbike. On occasion when I fail to recognise that he is still at work I might go and see him somewhere at a distance on the bike. He of course will spot me as well. But he will not come up to me on the bike so he has to ride to the base to get a car to come and chase me, and by the time he does this, Im gone.

I never take a lead (I guess that is the biggest problem) but at some stage when I was teaching Rex a recall he had a long long line attached dragging (30m long). The guy spotted me and came to tell me off, I picked up the end of the line and said - Im sorry but my dog is on lead :wave:

In reality Im breaking the law, dogs off lead are not allowed there. My dog has never bothered anyone, I always choose a faiway with no players, I go there to train at dusk when there is noone there. It wouldnt cross my mind to go during the day on weekend, there is just to many people and too many golf balls flying, too dangerous.

Players often come up to me and talk to me, or observe from a distance. Its only one guy there that has a problem with me being there. But when on boxing day he was cutting grass right outside my bedroom window I sure let him know what I think of that. :thumbsup: with a smile of course.

K9: Just like in the TOT, put the prey item on the ground, heel him with focus on you & then walk over & deploy the prey item.

M: I do that already, although I think I usually carry the item, sometimes hidden behind my back.

K9: no its not the same, you dont carry the food around in the TOT, otherwise it wouldnt be tempting.

just one comment, he considers the big throw a reward if I kick the ball or throw it a short distance I might as well have it in my hand.

K9: stop throwing it & he will change his mind.

after he had enough running, excercising, training and Im on my way home I sometimes let him carry the ball home. He seems very proud and happy about it. Should I let him? I confiscate the ball as soon as we arrive at the gate but should I be confiscating it earlier?

K9: no thats fine...

Do they always want more an more?

K9: yes they do...

K9: no its not the same, you dont carry the food around in the TOT, otherwise it wouldnt be tempting.

K9: stop throwing it & he will change his mind.

I will try tonight placing it but I think if I just place it on the ground and go and do some work I might as well not have it at all, he will not be interested in it. I have to throw it at some stage, so he can see it and than work longer and longer for an opportunity to go and get it. Is this ok?

I have some more specific questions I will write you an emial.

Edited by myszka

OK small update for anyone interested.

After few days of practice we have the following

A:

1. ball thrown some distance, dog to see it

2. dog to perform variety of tasks quite happily

3. dog released to get the ball

B:

1. ball dropped anwhere

2. dog to perform variety of tasks happily

3. dog to search for the toy

C:

1. ball kicked some distance dog to see

2. dog to heel towards the ball, walk over the ball

3. ball kicked further the dog not to chase it and heel (oh how much he wants to take it...)

4. dog to get the ball on release command

D:

1. ball placed or thrown

2. dog perform out of site stays for about 5 minutes (no other dogs near by, but people, birds etc)

3. dog released to get the ball,

Now re them wanting more - his beloved teddy bear that was his life line buddy to carry about and to cuddle up to has recently lost his face , followed by de-gutting of the white fluff, "Skin" still remins a life line, I dont think for long..

After 1.5 hours of training 3 days straight I ahve a dog standing near where I keep the ball whinging....

Havent seen a rat for a while.......

Someone wants a unsatisfied monster? :cheers: Free to a good satisfying home :D

Myska,

I am interested!!!!! Thanks.

I was speaking to another DOLER at lunch the other day, discussing dogs in general, and of course training a dog using its genetic drive naturally came up.

Dogs with a lot of drive, are much easier to train, as we can make more mistakes. Experience helps with the normal training methods, praise and correction, as dogs live for the moment, to a degree (another training subject).

Tonight as an introduction, to the Commonwealth Games coverage, a song was playing. I found it on the web, and broke into tears. Many would consider me overtly sentimental, which I never considered myself to be until recently. Must be advanced age or something, LOL. I feel this song correlates well with a high desire dog. The dogs love working at anything, and inspire us to improve. Try as hard as them, so to speak.

Training is our way of communicating with our dogs. A dog with high drive, good training, maturity and high standards, I think seem to understand sentences!!!! I bow down before them.

Anyway here is the link: (broadband is recommended).

http://www.creationsbydawn.net/cards/misc/raiseup.html

That is impressive myszka!

I guess I better update too! :)

Diesel is showing improvement! He is actually starting to show interest in the prey item now in the front yard (most of the time) rather than ignoring it. Interestingly, I find if I vary the prey item he shows more interest than if I keep it the same :cheers: I go between the tug I got off K9, ball on a string, home made tug (hessian) and small 'holee molee' (squishy ball, hard to explain). Yesterday in the back yard he actually looked excited and was jumping around :D . I think the cooler weather helps too.

Now re them wanting more - his beloved teddy bear that was his life line buddy to carry about and to cuddle up to has recently lost his face , followed by de-gutting of the white fluff, "Skin" still remins a life line, I dont think for long..

After 1.5 hours of training 3 days straight I ahve a dog standing near where I keep the ball whinging....

Havent seen a rat for a while.......

Someone wants a unsatisfied monster? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rofl1.gif) Free to a good satisfying home (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rofl1.gif)

Im assuming this is not literal and the dog is still happy to chill out once hes told theres no more oppurtunity to gain satisfaction I hate to think the poor things obsessing over the toy

Lablover - my dog definitelly understands sentences. I only wish he understood more.

Yogi - there is one for you

Sorry about quality, it was getting dark.

Re poor thing obsessing over toy - Id like him about 10 times more obessed about it :rofl: ok maybe that would be too much, but lets say 5.

On a side note - OH is "injured" :love: just tried way to hard with the dog :)

OH to the dog - up on my lap - dog jumps up on his lap (yes.... I know.....)

OH to the dog - give me kiss - gets a lick on the face

OH to the dog - give me speak - gets a bark in his face

OH to the dog - give me kiss (but gives a hand signal for a speak :rofl: ) - gets both :love: