Prey Drive Control & Focus..

K9: any time you are ever going to allow him prey drive satisfaction via you, start with a command, such as "ready to work?" make it sound intense & exciting from your dog, dont say it loud, make the dog listen.

After a little while if he doesnt show you focus when you say it, dont play.

Its like this..

1. ready to work.

2. dog gives focus.

3. you start prey game.

if after a couple of reps, dog doesnt complete step 2, you dont do step 3.

If dog tries to make step 2, step 1, you never do step 3... lol get it?

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Start a scent detection work subject you two. LOL

I come home after I have seen someone that my dog knows and likes. Dog goes sniffing me big time and "asks" where have you been???? and why didnt you take me with you?

Oh and when I come home after I have played with other dogs....

Sorry about highjack....

K9: detection isnt a difficult subject but I feel demo is def required to show the reactions to scent cones & so on, I think this is what motivates people to attempt this work..

when you do a demo night for that send me an invite please.

Any of the ones I have seen seem to leave out crucial steps to learning about training in drive, maybe I havent seen them all but they give you an idea I think, rather than a what to do from here.

By crickey, all those hours in front of the TV/video machine may all have been for nothing, LOL.

I look forward you discussing with you, the differences in what suggestions I gleamed from the productions. I hope I am doing IT right. I feel pretty confident I am not causing harm to the dogs, but I am sure I can do better.

I remember seeing Custom dogs being trained, and my eyes nearly popped outa my head, as they seemed to me at least to encourage their dogs so much and the rewards seemed excessive.

K9: Im sure the direction is right, but maybe there are short cust & maybe there arent.

I dont like to show people what to do as much as I like to teach them how to understand, then work out what to do....

When you want a dog to learn to focus for a long period of time, you need to make a deal that the pay off will be worth it...

K9 force:

I dont like to show people what to do as much as I like to teach them how to understand, then work out what to do....

LL Please please please no more ideas for me.

I love it all, but enough is enough, the headaches working it all out and the application of such!!!!

This is for those that have not been to K9 and are planning to go.

It frustrated the hell out of me for long time when I have send pages of stuff to tell him the progress on my dog. All I would get as a reply was often less than one sentence after half a page of my stuff.

But each comment made me think, made me go through my brain searching for the info K9 had given me.

Next time I taped the thing, there was no way I could remember everything. I must have watched that first tape about 5 times over time and each time I found something new.

I'm really greatfull that Steve had done that, becouse I have learned heaps and heaps, its a lot better than him serving me a ready answer on a silver platter.

And for that I THANK YOU K9.

K9: seminars & workshops arent as much about training dogs as they are about me stimulting thought in dog handlers, whilst I can demo a few moves, it's really about what goes on in your mind after the day that important.

There is no recipe, trainers need to adapt & over come...

Stimulating thought, LOL, when I left your place after the workshop/seminar I came to, I was so deep in thought that I passed several "speed camera" signs without seeing them and got pinged!

:love: Then I'll warn all those going to the Melbourne seminar to watch their speed on Princes Highway in the vicinity of Beaconsfield-Emerald Road. Coming from the Dandenong end of Princes Highway, the speed signs vary from 80, down to 60, down to 50, up to 60, up to 70, down to 40 (in school hours) up to 70 ..... and it's a fairly popular place to get "nabbed" .....

Ok i took Connor out and we did some obedience with his prey toy as a reward he was very foccussed more intense than he is for fofod got super fast sits we only did a couple then stopped with him wanting to keep going i am very happy with this increase in focus and the speed he is responding at

yb

K9: when you put your dog through a prey drive development & focus program then go training its like someone turned the speed way up on your dog.

Some start to reaslise they need to step up their command / reward speed as the dog is surging way ahead or waiting for them... lol...

Glad its going well for you...