Flyball Or Agility

I am no huge fan of obedience either but I couldn't be doing flyball if I didn't spend the time (doing 3 classes a week for a long while there) at regular obedience first. I don't get what is exciting about trialling but obviously alot of people like it.

I don't agree with everything that's been said about flyball but I do agree with knowing when your dog is physically mature enough to cope. I have a 6 month old Kelpie who is not going to go near jumps for a very long time yet. The most she's doing is a turning board and lots of heeling around (obedience again) amidst distraction to work on her focus.

As for being an injury prone sport - it can be if you don't know what you are doing. I think if you are seeing lots of cruciate injuries then these might be dogs who never learn't a proper swimmers turn. Rosie looks large and this would be important for her. I race with a very large Ridgeback cross and he has a fabulous swimmers turn because I was lucky enough to get a trainer who knew he needed one. Big dogs can race safely but you have to progress slowly and race for accuracy, not speed. (The only injuries currently at our club did not occur at flyball, they happened at home.)

Poodlefan said its all about speed and for some it certainly is. You'll find these are teams that might have errors and reruns. There are alot of small dogs and very slow dogs racing. Accuracy is key. (Check out the photo thread on the Dandenong comp - there's some pics of some very little dogs and some who would no doubt be slow.)

Yes you do 'rev' the dogs up for a race but it is pointless if there is not control and training behind the rowdy noise. Don't make the mistake of thinking that alot of noise means completely out of control. No 'out of control' dog lasts long, they will be carded for interference and knocked out of competition very quickly.

Come and see for yourself - you know where we are.

Jo

hay not all small dogs are slow :o

although i cant really speak for the agility people i would have to say that if your slightly crazy then flyball would be the sport for you. secondly see what you dog prefers. i started with algilty and my dog was good but he payed to much attention to the flyball training than he did to what obstical was next. it only took one go at flyball to see what he wanted to do.

Im sure that any club would let you have a try of each and then decide later what you wish to continue with.

I do agree though that if you decide to both then train one first then add in the second other wise you will be trying to teach two things at once witch may confuse the dog. once it knows one training in the other will just be another thing to add to her list of achevments

I'm actually going to try out a new obedience club in Sydney in the new year. I'll work on the basics at home as I have the handbook from my old club (that I only attended once) between now and then. I WILL do at least a six month stint, PROMISE :angel: and let you all know how I go.

Believe it or not TigerJack, Rosie is NO WHERE NEAR the size of a ridgeback, she only weighs about 13kgs and is probably kelpie size at the mo. I don't invsage her getting too much bigger, she'll be lucky if she gets as big as her Mum (20kgs). Border Collie size if she is lucky.

Thanks for all the wonderful advice, I guess I knew in my heart I had to do my obedience, and yep Eridor would probably love her titled, where is the *stomps off and does homework* emoticon. You know, like a petulant teenager who knows they have to but doesn't want to ;)

I guess I always knew I had to do it but after 2 years of chewed up furniture and continuely teaching sit, drop and stay, over and over I just needed a gentle push.

Thank you :eek:

Riles

I do both, and I know tones of people who do both, I peronally prefere flyball, I enjoy the thrill of racing for a tenth of a second..and I suppose it helps that my dog runs mid 3 second times lol

I just saw the other posts lol it always annoys me how many people think Flyball is dangerous, I mean it IS, but not to the dogs! lol I have been competing for 2 years and in the flyball scene for 5 years, I have seen a total of 3 dog injurys, 1 was to my own dog, a new dog crossed over causing mine to skid slam into a jump, the jump snapped in half and she bruised her hip, this was the first race of the tourny, she continued to race without problems the rest of the weekend. and her sister collided with her brother and got a concussion, that was a handler error, the males handler did not think to grab her dog before he turned around to run again. and the 3rd was a dog that crashed into the barrier, he was fine as well. now the human injuries.... you will rarly see a tourny where a handler does not get bit by his dog whilethe dog was grabbing the tug, or watching a judge go flying accross the room lol

Edited by BCC

i wish to start O-ren on flyball... Riley can vouch that wen a ball is involved NUFFINK can distract her... she even forgets to guard my chair from sniffing canines LOL

i mainly wanna do it for fun and social reasons too

I have done both but at the moment have only been doing flyball- no problems with doing both.

I have only seen a few injuries to dogs as well- and they weren't major.

The main injuries that occur at flyball are handlers being bitten by their dogs- :) when the dog grabs your hand instead of the motivator- :o like my boy does! My girl just races to get the ball and bring it back to me- she gets a tennis ball for bringing it back- ball mad!!!!. :whiteflag:

Edited by periau