What Makes A Good Instructor

I agree with everyone's thoughts. I would add:

The ability to make every class participant feel that they have progressed. Sometimes its hard for people when you've got a 'natural' in class that leaps ahead and they feel they are struggling. People need to know that it takes as long as it takes and that provided they practice and persevere ANY dog can be trained. Some just teach their handlers more than others. :)

More than one tool in their tool box of training techniques. I find the best instructors are familiar with a wide range of training methods. While they may have a 'preferred' or 'normal' method of training - they can adopt other methods for a dog/handler team if necessary.

Most importantly, the ability to recognise when a behavioural issue is beyond their level of expertise. Better to refer to an expert than compound a problem - and I've seen it done. :D

I think you've got a great list there yogi. I'd just add one little caveat to the passion/enthusiasm: not to go over the top to the point where it can appear aggressive or intimidating.

I've had a couple of instructors who were inclined to push too hard and it really put me off. One would stand in the centre of the class barking at us all like a sergeant major. His classes were no fun and I would always leave early as I got sick of being yelled at. The thing is, I think he was just really passionate and got frustrated when the people in the class didn't seem to be as into it as he was.

I think all the skills everyone is mentioning are really important.

But one that i think is very important, is to never give up on some of the dogs that come to training - you know the dogs, the ones that bark and growl and are a little aggressive. One of the obedience clubs i used to go to some of the instructors weren't inclined to help these doggies or their poor owners, who were more often than not in tears - None of us know the doggies backgrounds so who are we too judge?

Patience, determination, caring and understanding make a GREAT instructor.