Another Itchy Skin Q

Schnaggles' belly skin is quite dry this summer with some flakies and underlying heat and redness.

Malaseb was helping a bit but we took them to the beach last week and the cool saltwater seems to have helped enormously. We washed them in Aloveen when we got home and five days later his skin is still better than it has been for a couple of months.

Dachshunds are pretty low to the ground :confused: so our vet also suggested a smear of hand cream on their bellies if they're going outside as paspalum seems to be one of the main irritants.

Horses for courses, I guess. I'm keen to try the Aloveen leave-in conditioner as suggested in this thread.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick update.......... Gave the dogs sardines with their dinner tonight and Frazer, the fussy one, licked his bowl clean.

He has a bit of dryness again today, so will do him with the Malaseb again tomorrow.

Hi, dont expect the sardines to work over night. Can take a week or two to really set in.

I found out why my Millie was itching (I think). I had run out of Cod Liver Oil and didnt buy any for two weeks. (bad mummy I know). Anyways, I've been making sure its in her diet every night now and she hasnt scratch as much as before.

I think I will be buying at least two bottles from now on. :eek:

Hi Noisymina,in regard to the use of woolwash

Wool washes have the wrong PH,very high levels of alkali salts(e.g caustic soda)and the wrong types of detergent.After a single wash owners apparently comment on how nice the coat is but after continued use it may strip the epidermis and hair of oil,causing damage to the skin.

Having said this a lot if owners have used wool wash for years without any problems,guess it just depends on the dog

Quick update.......... Gave the dogs sardines with their dinner tonight and Frazer, the fussy one, licked his bowl clean.

He has a bit of dryness again today, so will do him with the Malaseb again tomorrow.

Hi, dont expect the sardines to work over night. Can take a week or two to really set in.

I found out why my Millie was itching (I think). I had run out of Cod Liver Oil and didnt buy any for two weeks. (bad mummy I know). Anyways, I've been making sure its in her diet every night now and she hasnt scratch as much as before.

I think I will be buying at least two bottles from now on. :eek:

Obviously any dietary changes will take a couple of weeks to make a difference. His skin is no where as itchy and dry, so what I am doing is working, ie, malaseb, leave in aloveen and diet.