Something Wrong With My Puppy.

carlee

Oh my god Carlee, I hope for your poor dog's sake that he never gets sick again! If you weren't prepared to spend money on your dog you should never have gotten him. Dogs DO cost money, and regularly. Vaccinations, worm tablets etc etc.

I won't apologise if this sound harsh but I am worried about your dog growing up.

Ofcourse I am going to look after my dog. My goodness, talk about being critical... I've only been on here for a couple of weeks, but is the forum always like this??

Don't be alarmed Ceilidh, Trigger is well looked after and will continue to be well looked after. He is booked in for all his necessary vaccinations, has been wormed by the vet, Advantix'd, eating good dog food, and we are booked in for puppy pre-school next week, which I am looking forward too! I am well aware of the costs involved, but it doesn't mean unexpected vet visits don't sting! But thanks for caring!

Nekhbet, I never thought of that. When I read what you wrote I remembered a friend's staffy puppy, who fell off a step backwards and fractured something in her spine/tailbone area. She was semi-paralysed for a couple of weeks. Trigger is rarely out of sight (we live in an apartment!), and I can't recall him bumping himself badly or falling, but I will definately keep that in mind. Maybe tell my husband to stop playing so rough!!!

Tracey, sorry to hear about your poodle! All day today I have been keeping an eye on him to see if it's ongoing, but he seems fine. Hopefully, it has gone whatever it was. But I am like a paranoid mother now! He was running to fetch a toy this afternoon, and he stumbled (as clumsy puppies do) and I was like, oh no!!!!! But he's okay!! :)

Hi Carlee,

Ofcourse I am going to look after my dog. My goodness, talk about being critical... I've only been on here for a couple of weeks, but is the forum always like this??

I must admit that when I 1st read your earlier post I too was concerned. Most people on here really love their dogs so anything concerning a dog's welfare which isn't explained fully can get people hot under the collar. Read your sentance again:-

"I know, you did say that we wouldn't spend money on vet stuff... you're right"

Without the rest of the explanation you gave later this is really open for misinterpretation. I have learned very quickly to give all the pertinent facts when posting on DOL, saves a lot of angst all round :confused: .

Glad to hear your puppy is OK :rofl: .

I can't recall him bumping himself badly or falling, but I will definately keep that in mind. Maybe tell my husband to stop playing so rough!!!

That's generally a good idea regardless as your puppy is still growing and you don't want his bones or joints suffering from stress fratcures and strains. Rough play or "boxing" can also lead to a very mouthy or bitey dog too, not cute when Trigger is an adult.

Cheers,

Corine

Only when someone comes along with a problem with their dog and states they weren't planning on spending any money on vets! Dogs have accidents, bee stings, snake bite, etc etc and it all costs money.

Get a grip and re read what you first said instead of spending your energy on being upity. I am just surprised no one else commented about being worried about your dog. If you didn't really mean what you said then that is good only in the future if you make statements like that then be prepared to be critisized.

Okay, I see what you mean, and I may have come across indifferently. But it is hard to get all of your thoughts across in one little post, and I tend to keep my posts light hearted. Obviously I love dogs and am concerned about my dog's wellbeing or I wouldn't be a member of a dog forum. Maybe you could cut some slack and don't take things so literally, and don't criticise on a public forum. Otherwise new people won't come back. Maybe a pm would be nicer.

Anyway, I know everybody has different opinions on everything, but in the end we all love dogs. So let's forget about it.

Ceilidh, I noticed you breed cocker spaniels. What do you think is the best age to have Trigger desexed? The vet and other people I talk to say different things. Do you think it's best to wait longer, or have it done as soon as he is 'old enough'? I've been thinking I'll get him done at either 4 or 6 months?

I see Tracey said the same I was thinking, this pup needs to go back to an experienced vet for a check up. Could easily be hip dysplasia and you will need a management programme if it is.

There is nothing I know of that makes a pup wobbly for no reason?? anyone?

You need money for emergency situations with a dog. I wouldn't even stop to ask, that pup would and should have been at the vets as soon as it displayed those symptoms.

Glad the puppy is ok but you need to save for a rainy day.

Carlee - I know how you feel about having a partner who is a little reluctant to spend money on vet bills if they dont have too. My husband used to be the same (and before anyone flames me - it never prevented me from taking Kirra to the vet and we have spent about $10,000.00 in vet bills on Kirra in her 3 years so far ;) )

I know that my husband used to just have a bit of a panic when it was a large unexpected amount (and hey, he has this panic when he needs medical treatment himself!) so we ended up putting money away each week in a seperate account for when unexpected vet bills came up. It always makes it much easier when the time comes. And I know that some people simply dont have the money - and thats a terrible position to be in when your dog needs help :D But really, its a very good idea to put the money away each week - I have had to hand over $800.00 unexpectedly and just "find" the money for Kirra - sometimes its not easy but its part of owning a dog

I know it is worrying to think that someone might be reluctant to get their dog medical attention when its required but I'm sure Carlee will have her partner trained to expect unexpected vet bills in no time :o Sometimes when you first get a dog it can still be a bit of a shock when the first 'major' bill comes in!!

(Luckily it seems Carlee's situation is far from a guy I met a few weeks ago who told me that when they got their dog a year ago he told his wife straight that it had a $200.00 limit at the vet, then it would be put down. Apparantly the dog had $30 left to go. I wanted to smack his face.)

Anyway, back to the illness you had with your dog..... :mad Thought Id tell you my story of when I had something very similar happen to my Staffy about a year ago.

She came inside and her back legs were literally just collapsing and she couldnt walk. We dont have paralysis ticks in WA so all I could think of was some type of poisoning. We rushed her to the emergency vet who couldnt figure out what was wrong (extremely frustrating situation - kept trying to tell me that she must have hurt her back but by this stage I could see one of her front legs starting to curl up and I knew they were wrong) Ended up giving her pain killers and sending us home :rolleyes: Anyway, the next day I took her back to my own vet when I noticed she couldnt hold food in her mouth. They kept telling me the same as the emergeny vet - I ended up screaming the place down and demanding they look in her mouth because food kept falling out. They pulled out a huge European Wasp sting. My poor baby almost died because the poison keeps attacking the central nervous system the whole time the sting is embedded. ;)

Jen

Wow Jenny, you dog was lucky the wasp sting was found :eek: . Glad to hear that your Staffy was OK though.

Cheers,

Corine

She sure was Corine ;)

Luckily sometimes I just get a feeling about whats wrong - kind of hard to explain but I just 'knew' they had to check her mouth otherwise its likely it would never have been found :rofl: . I couldnt quite get it when I was at the emergency clinic but I knew it sure wasnt what they were saying!

Luckily for me my new vet listens to me when I have a 'feeling' about what's wrong :eek:

Jen

When you have a dog (or any animal for that matter) vet bills should not be 'unexpected'. Dogs gets sick, just like kids do, its a fact of life. If you are not prepared to pay the $1500 if the dog breaks its leg/catches parvo etc etc then PLEASE dont get a dog.

Vaccinations and flea treatment are not the 'end point' for total dog care.

Once again, im not trying to have a go at you but most people in the community dont seem to understand that if you cannot afford a pet (this includes expensive vet bills) you cannot afford to own a dog.

Once again, im not trying to have a go at you but most people in the community dont seem to understand that if you cannot afford a pet (this includes expensive vet bills) you cannot afford to own a dog.

I dunno- I'm fairly well-paid by community standards, and in a 12 month period recently I was faced with emergency vet bills totally near $10,000. That's:

-one dog with a sudden critical illness, requiring an intensive care admission and some expensive investigations (she died anyway :eek: )

- finding an injured cat (run over) and treating and adopting her

- one dog who was attacked and significantly injured by another dog

- a couple of minor things- severe beesting reactionsx2, grassseeds up nose x2, suspected poisoning, urology issues with older dog- all requiring either admission +/or anaesthesia and investigations +/or emergency centre visit, which = big bucks

- and just recently a cruciate injury to a young dog- which cost over $1000 for the initial investigations, and an estimated $3500 for surgery.

Fortunately I took out pet insurance mid-way through all of that, and the cruciate surgery may not be necessary (fingers crossed)- but for a while there I had the credit card maxed out, and was going to have to sell my car if anything else cropped up. I don't have a mortgage or a family, so I don't know how I would have coped if I did. Yes, we should expect unexpected bills, and of course I would find a way to pay- but sometimes it really is hard to cope with.

I'm told that many vets will draw up payment plans for good customers with big unexpected bills- but I have found pet insurance worthwhile, just in this past year.