Clicker Training

Hi all,

I am planning ahead before my puppy arrives and am looking at different training techniques.

I will be going to puppy training school but am thinking of things in the mean time.

I have come across clicker training but have not found much explanation of exactly how it works. Has anyone used it and how effective can it be? Is it a suitable method to start with an 8 week old puppy??

Jez

Hey Jez - great to see you planning ahead. Here's my 2c worth.

When you start reseaching, you'll find there are a couple of different things - 'clicker training', which strictly means doing everything iwth the clicker, and free shaping behaviors, rather than luring or prompting.

The version that I and many others use, is probably better described as 'using a clicker in training'. What we're doing is using the clicker sound to mark for the dog the exact moment the behavior is what we're after at that time. The reward - whatever it is - food, game etc. can come after that marker - in the early stages of learning anything, it should come very quickly.

I love using my clicker in training,a nd my two Border COllies also seem to love it. It makes training pretty positive, since you're setting up for success, and watching for 'good' behaviour from your pup so that you can mark it. It makes you be much clearer about exactly what behaviour/part of the behaviour it is that you're looking for. And you can work in baby steps - the dog will get clicked initially for a good try, but then you can gradually up the criteria so he has to get closer to what you finally want.

There's lots of stuff in books and on the Net -probably if you do a search on DOL you'll find some relevant threads. And here are a couple of links to good clicker sites to get you started.

www.clickertraining.com - Karen Pryor's site

www.clickersolutions.com - has some very useful articles

Have fun!

Barb

P.S. Forgot to say - yes - clicker training is great for puppies too.

Thanks for all that info!

It is so great that everytime I've had something I'm not quite sure about I have used this forum and have always had a super helpful and friendly response.

I am so glad I have found this site and its friendly community. I will definitely be using it more and recommending it to others!

Jez :laugh:

Hi Jezebel,

That was great info from Tassie - I read the clickersolutions list and there's HEAPS of info there - although sometimes they seem to be speaking a different language when they get right into reinforcements schedules and the like!

My dogs learn really quickly with the clicker and like Tassie said, it is a great way to mark exactly the behaviour that you want so the dog knows what it's being rewarded for.

The shaping stuff is a spinout!! :laugh:

Go for it!

Hi Jezebel,

What a great way to start training your puppy!

If you go to www.k9events.com/ an Aussie site, you will finds heaps of info. on clicker training as well as positive reinforcement in general.

There are also links to some great sites and information about where you will find trainers in Oz.

:laugh:

Flossie has been here a week, I started clicker training (the free shaping way) from day one, she learnt Sit on the first day, she now knows, sit, drop, come, leave it, find daddy, toilet command, and go outside, all with voice and hand signals, I know it sounds like alot, but to me it isnt, she was 8 weeks when I got her and is 9 weeks old now. Its great fun. I recently lost my clicker and had to use a baby food jar lid, those ones that pop, and she still understood it was a click.

Tristan

Thanks again!

I was just wondering if I should start training Bella pretty much the first day we have together. Obviously very short training sessions.

Tristan's training is amazing in what Flossie has learned in just 1 week! I am picking her up on a Friday night after work so I have the whole weekend to be with her. I am presuming by Tristan's post I should probably start on the Saturday. This isn't pushing her too early before she has even had a chance to get used to her surroundings??? :laugh:

Jez

Jezebel, you might want to consider the difference between the sort of training that you are doing, often without knowing it, all the time you are interacting with a dog - and 'training' - where you spend time working on specific behaviours.

You're right - I would not be thinking of doing any more than a few tiny bursts of anything formal until the pup has had a chance to get used to you.

By far the most important stuff you will be doing with your pup in the first few days is starting to build the relationship between the pup and you which will lay the foundation for all sorts of training in the future. Your pup will be in new surroundings, and will be looking to find out what are the 'rules' of this new environment. Pup will be asking questions like - where do I eat, where do I sleep, where do I pee and poop, what can I chew? You will be busy supplying consistent answers to those questions, and others that you spot. You will be observing the puppy and assessing how pup copes with new situations, stresses etc.

By all means, you can do some stuff like asking for a sit with a little wait, before the food dish goes down; requiring pup to have 'four on the floor' when meeting people; sitting on the floor with pup when pup is getting tired, and gently handle paws, tickle tummy, touch ears, mouth etc. and praise the pup for being nice when you do that. In other words, the sort of basic manners training that all dogs should have.

All of this will get the pup used to being respectful with you, and used to learning and being praised.

If you do get a clicker before you get the pup, you can practise your won timing without the pup by trying to click when a tennis ball you've dropped gets half way to the floor ... Once the pup ahs settled in, you can get some really tasty stuff that won't upset pup's tummy - chicken is good - and 'charge' the clicker - get pup used to the idea that click means treat.

And with or without the clicker, you can work on attention training - rewarding the pup for paying attention to you when you use his/her name.

And baby recalls - reward for pup coming right to you when called.

And getting pup used to collar and leash ....

In other words, you'll be doing plenty of training.

There's lots of good puppy starter stuff on the net - at the k9events site, and also have a look at

puppy raising

Barb

Clicker training is a wonderful tool if you learn how to use it properly.  There are many good books and videos, plus Perth has some very good places to go and learn. 

I do so agree with Helen.

Unfortunately, clicker training gets sneered at in some circles mainly because people don't use it properly or use it without any idea of the theory/philosophy behind the method.

Again, as Helen said, there are some really good places in Perth - Northern Suburbs O.D.T.C. where Gina O'Keefe is chief instructor for one. :confused:

henrynchlo - I am jelous :confused: Gina is such a wonderful instructor, she was in Melbourne doing some obedience seminars and I attended. She was fabulous with all sorts of dogs, with different levels of training and completely different personalities.