Dog Swimming Pools

malleerr

We have to get out pup into swimming to assist in rebuilding the muscles in her back legs etc following recent ortho dsurgery - and we are having trouble finding doggy pools - we have located one at Sunbury but he is fully booked most of the time and only has day appts left which unfort does not suit us.

Just wondering if anyone out there knew of any - even Geelong area???

ETA - i have posted this in the General section also, sorry if you read it twice

Edited by malleerr

Thanks Guys - will try the Diggers Rest one.

Yay - thanks Mcosta - have rang Kepala and spoke to a lady there named Tina who was so lovely Mallee is booked in, fingers crossed she will like it!!!

Edited by malleerr

Hey Kim,

Actually i am a bit anxious about the first swim, and hoping that they are going to be as helpful as they sound, they say they have had quite a bit of experience with the dogs that have had or do have orthopedic probs etc, but also Mallee has never seen water, so am hoping that she does in fact like it.

She is like a bull at a gate atm - being locked up in a cage for three mths has done nothing for her lead walking skills, and lately is so excited when she is walked she basically runs on the spot!!! not quite what we wont. So we are hoping that with her being able to swim aleast instead of walks it will calm her down a bit..........heres hoping anyway.

Edited by malleerr

I'm sure she'll be fine in the water, don't worry, she'll be so glad to be able to get some energy out!!!

Good luck and make sure you post how she goes

(have a look in general at my video of Eddie swimming - he loves it - but don't be worried if she's funny at first, it can take time to get used to it)

Dont stress too much she should be They should now how to deal with dogs with problems such as her own. If she is usually ball motivated or has a favourite squeeky toy take it with you if they will let her have it in the pool it might make it more fun for her.Some dogs love to swim with something in their mouth some don't ( see eddies swimming video he carries the lead) If you are still worried ask them to try her with a bouyancy vest first and as she improves you can take it off. Also sometimes it helps to have other dogs in the pool as well especially if she likes being around other dogs. There is no doubt that she might not take to it straight away be if you make it as fun as possible for her she should come to love it. I always tell clients at work that it can take up to 3 visits for some dogs to really take to it, and then there are those few that no matter what you do will not take to it ( we usually put these guys in the underwater treadmill as this is less water and smaller space).

But if you are swimming for rehab as long as she doesn't absoloutly HATE it I would persever it is for her best intrest in the long run.

Well the people at Kepala Canine Country Club could not have been better. Mallee had an absolute ball swimming and took to it luck a duck, well dog to water.

Here is a pic of her after her swim, still in her life jacket, with a big smile of her face - mind you looking a little pooped - first exercise in three months.

post-22-1139181152.jpg

Well done! That's one very happy pupper.

You guys in Melbourne are so lucky. One of the treats my two have when we go to Melbourne to visit is to go have a swim at a doggy pool - wither Dogs in Motion or the greyhound pool at Devon Meadows, which they enjoyed as well.

Hope the swimming helps Mallee - it'll certainly help with the 'stir-crazies' I would think.

Barb

Hey Shoemonster,

Mallee i think slept better than she has in the last three months. She snored her head off all the way home in the car, and i have never seen her so happy to be back in her cage!!!! Off there again tomorrow night, so hopefully it will go as well as it did on Saturday. She has been so much more contented since the swimming and once again smiling all the time which is sooo good to see!!! :o