5am Barking Dog

yikes, debarking never even crossed my mind ....

I will try the "laundry"treatment tonight i guess, with a New house, and my issue with dogs inside i've been a little narrow minded. I am getting better though, he is inside most of the time when we are. Only to be put out for meals, play time, other dogs comming over, to sleep etc.

Thanks again. *Crosses fingers* Here goes :(

I'm going to sound like the right bastard compared to you guys.

Rig a hose/sprinkler up so that you can operate it without the dog seeing you. When he barks... give him both barrels.

We used a citronella collar years ago with our first dog. Had only limited effect and I wouldn't use one now, but the dog sure smelled sweet when we got home!

debarking a surgical procedure that stops barking and gives a muffled "Daffy Ducktype "bark.

Actually, I skipped past this without reading it. I don't sound like the bastard after all.

I'm going to sound like the right bastard compared to you guys.

Rig a hose/sprinkler up so that you can operate it without the dog seeing you. When he barks... give him both barrels.

We used a citronella collar years ago with our first dog. Had only limited effect and I wouldn't use one now, but the dog sure smelled sweet when we got home!

Actually, I skipped past this without reading it. I don't sound like the bastard after all.

and neither am I if you are uninformed of this proceedure ( and as a last resort it is used) PM me for details and you shall be informed!!

I am not afraid to offer ALL avenues, saves dogs in the long run.

Never ever be one eyed!! May be the eye you need when yo u least expect it!!

yikes, debarking never even crossed my mind ....

I will try the "laundry"treatment tonight i guess, with a New house, and my issue with dogs inside i've been a little narrow minded. I am getting better though, he is inside most of the time when we are. Only to be put out for meals, play time, other dogs comming over, to sleep etc.

Thanks again. *Crosses fingers* Here goes :o

You state "new house "have you moved in recently, as that is an evironment change and may be upsetting the dog

You state "new house "have you moved in recently, as that is an evironment change and may be upsetting the dog

No, house is one year old last weekend. We've had eddie for 10 months. They have grown together ;-)

Day 1: Eddie stayed inside last night. He had run of the laundry, he started whining, and scratching a bit so we opend the laundry door and gave him run of the laundry, hallway area (all tiled) and we all got a good nights sleep (well except for me keeping an ear open for the sound of scratching on my doors). Eddie was SooOOoOOooOoo bouncy this morning, it was bordering psychotic ;-), but he calmed down after his morning drive with me.

I let him out about 6:30 this morning in case he needed to go, he ran outside 100miles an hour, stood in the centre of the yard, and barked for 5 minutes straight, took a drink of water, and came back to my feet. Seems to me like a bit of stress releif that he wasn't willing to release inside :o

It's going to be an interesting week next week I would imagine. Eddie gets a baby sister (dalmatian) sunday night ;-).

More to come:

and neither am I

You're right, desexemall, apologies - that wasn't my intention.

I just reread the thread, and hosing down seemed, I dunno, kind in comparison.

Is there really any situation that requires surgically debarking a dog?

You're right, desexemall, apologies - that wasn't my intention.

I just reread the thread, and hosing down seemed, I dunno, kind in comparison.

Is there really any situation that requires surgically debarking a dog?

Thats great as I a m a female and the "bastard " tag I reserve for some of the other gender!!!

As a last resort to the dog I have had dogs debarked, in WA it is not common, and a lot of vets will not perform the surgery

Debarking Laws in Australia ( 2003) sorry no further update so may be a bit out will try to find an update

VIC - Debarking is illegal

QLD - Debarking is prohibited

NSW & SA - Debarking is allowed only if the dog is going to be destroyed because of barking

WA, TAS & ACT - Have no law specifically dealing with debarking, however the RSPCA and veterinary community are strongly opposed to this surgery

NT - Have no laws

I offer behviourists,Companies for Collars, and advice, the debarking info is as a last resort. I always offer my dogs for people to see so they can make up their own mindes, very, very rare cases that debarking is used the other methods generally work BUT again its up to the owner enforcing the methods

I think he is barking because he is ready to start his day....................not that you are at that time of the morning. You will find that many dogs that sleep outside are up with the birds (also dogs that are fed in the morning). They are up, so should everyone else.

Personally, my two sleep inside and are fed of a night, so they are last out of bed in our house. They go out during the day when I go to work.

It's a tough one....goodluck sorting it out.

Have you got a jacket or rug for him to wear? It's starting to get chilly in the mornings, if he's warm in his kennel he might just stay asleep.

Weatherbeeta Dog Rugs

I would crate train him inside, 5.30am is the time it starts to get light, and as you know the birds start...so it's only natural that pups will wake up at that time.

My Toller pup wakes up at that time when sleeping on my bed, so he gets put into his crate with a dark sheet over the top and I get an extra hour or so kip. :thumbsup:

Mel.

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

Debarking is taking away a dogs ability to communicate, it is cruel. Better for them to be PTS I think, but that is my opinion

I have noticed that no where has his exercise routine been mentioned. He is a 10 month old teenager, who is from a very active breed. Have you tried taking him on a big walk late at night to tire him out? How much daily exercise does he get. Why not get up at 4.55am and take him for a walk, before he starts barking.?

I would not be bringing another dog home until his problems are worked out as the other dog will copy his behaviour and then you will have 2 barking dogs

Well, it has been a week now of bring lil eddie inside into the laundry, and the sound of claws on my nice new walls has stopped. Actually everything is going well. New pup has arrived, and although i was very very worried on how to introduce them, there was no problem what so ever. Eddie was an instant big brother, and loving it. Little Rani seems to be what he needed. Rani even got away with playing with his favourite tennis ball :D

Having eddie in the laundry has stopped the barking. We've even introduced puppy into the laundry with him, and pup no longer cries. So this is a great step forward. Just have to get pup trained. Am contemplating building/buying a large cage/crate for the garage (garage is enclosed and insulated) for them to spend the night.

As for cold nights, i guess the temprature has dropped to how it was, but i don't believe here it has dropped below 20 (at night) yet.

Will keep you posted with how everything is going. Also keep an eye out for pics of both my little buddies. I went stupid with the camera yesterday :eek:.

I don't know if this will help you, but it helped me. My Lab pup, for no apparent reason, became a 5:30am barker. I spoke to my dog trainer and she said either something is bothering or concerning her. She suggested getting up before the barking usually began and playing with her etc until I worked out what the problem was. Found out it was garbage trucks. So I sat with her from 5:30am to 7am on garbage mornings giving her treats, telling her how much fun garbage trucks were, playing games - three weeks later not a bark could be heard!!!

About six months later (she is now a year old) she occasionally barks in the middle of the night, but I am usually able to track down something that is bothering her. Once it was the neighbours having a MASSIVE 3am fight and another time she was playing with a bug and it died on her and wasn't fun anymore and she was barking to wake it up.

Now on the odd occasions she barks I get up to see what the problem is and play a game etc and then she goes back to sleep. I also sometimes leave the radio on for her (she can hear it through the kitchen window in her kennel) and she settles down. I haven't found that she feels rewarded at all if I get up (which I was worried about).

My advice would be to find the cause firstly and then deal with it accordingly. Good luck! Tanya

the problem stems a little deeper than that i think. I've sat up myself, and listend for things that have been setting ed off, and have asked a few neighbours. It's actually a little yappy dog a few doors down that starts it all. Eddie just chimes in with I a "i can beat that bark" :cheers: .... That said though, eddie is flighty, any sound and he has to investigate. If he can't see what it is, or doesn't like it BARK BARK BARK. Tell him its ok, play with him .... he's not interested. Offer him food, his not interested. HE just wants to bark at the noise :D

Has now been 5 days inside at night, and although he woke me up this morning (he needed to go toilet) all has been fine.

De-barking actually doesnt take away the ability to communicate, it just lessens the noise, and once they are over the op, they dont know any different.

Unfortunately Shelties are well known for yapping and I have four who all had to be debarked in N.Z. It is not something which I like doing but when you have neighbours who complain and it is a mattter of debarking or the council removing them then that became our only option.

Since arriving here in May 2005, I have met a shletie breeder and all hers have been de-barked as well.

LOL our new neighbours (we are on just over an acre) have moaned, I said for f**** sake they have been de-barked, oh but they go arf arf arf!! so I told him to moan about the shepherds opposite who bark at 5.000am and have not been de-barked.

But isn't it possible to train them not to bark? Particularly when you are on the property.

The water squirting has stopped both my dogs barking within 2 days. If Diesel barks now then a head out the door and 'grrr' to let him know we disapprove is all it takes.

Well, it has been a week now of bring lil eddie inside into the laundry, and the sound of claws on my nice new walls has stopped. Actually everything is going well. New pup has arrived, and although i was very very worried on how to introduce them, there was no problem what so ever. Eddie was an instant big brother, and loving it. Little Rani seems to be what he needed. Rani even got away with playing with his favourite tennis ball :cheers:

Having eddie in the laundry has stopped the barking. We've even introduced puppy into the laundry with him, and pup no longer cries. So this is a great step forward. Just have to get pup trained. Am contemplating building/buying a large cage/crate for the garage (garage is enclosed and insulated) for them to spend the night.

As for cold nights, i guess the temprature has dropped to how it was, but i don't believe here it has dropped below 20 (at night) yet.

Will keep you posted with how everything is going. Also keep an eye out for pics of both my little buddies. I went stupid with the camera yesterday :thumbsup:.

excellent :D would love to see photos.

keep up the good work :)