Starting Obedience Training

Daegon and Kovu are starting grade 1 on Sunday...I'm all nervous! :love:

I would like to work them both towards their titles...but Daegon is a stubborn shiite and Kovu has the attention span of a flea and is always far more focussed on everything around him other than who is training him...so those will be fun things to overcome.

Breeeaaathhee....

Um, anyone know roughly how long it takes to work through everything and start trialling and to gain the obedience title? I know it would depend upon a lot of things, but just a really rough guestimate would be good...just so I get an idea of what I'll be getting myself in for :D

what standard is your grade one? then I can tell you or give you a guesstimate.

Does it really matter how long just as long as you are enjoying yourselves? Are you with a club? If not join one cos you will get masses of support from others who are also interested in trialing.

Hey Shekina

Are you starting up on the Domain? If so, I may see you - although I won't be up there till about 2.00pm. I have B/W Border Collies. Fergus is in Grade 4, and Kirr does Agility.

How long it takes depends largely on the dog and the handler - as you"ve probably guessed. If both dog and handler are really switched on, things can progress very quickly - although it's always important to be sure that the dog actually knows what it seems to know before pushing on too hard. Early fliers can burn out or shut down sometimes. With some - like my Fergus -it's two steps forward and one step back - or sometimes the other way round - but he's a somewhat soft and anxious dog, so I have to be careful with him.

Starting from scratch, with a first dog you've trained - probably 9-12 months would be about average, I guess. But as Rusky says - by far the more important thing IMHO is that you just have fun with your dog. That way, your trialling career, even if it's delayed a little, is likely to be more successful and last longer.

And yes - breathing is good - so is counting to 10. I need to remember these things. :love:

Hope to see you. (What are your dogs?)

Barb

Thanks for your replies guys ;)

Yes I will be starting up at the domain tomorrow. I'll be there at 1 for the 1.30 class (my partner and I have to join membership and stuff first so we'll make sure we get there a little early).

I have a German Shepherd Dog and a Rottweiler. The shepherd has passed grade 1 ages ago now but hasn't done any training since and is a highly strung dog when out and about so I figured I'd better run him through everything all over again. The Rottweiler is gonna be the difficult one I think, soooo stubborn and lazy :love:

I don't mind how long it takes at all, it's not my intention to get through everything as quickly as possible, sorry if I gave that impression...I was just wanting to get a really rough estimate is all. The most important thing for me is that it's fun for the dogs and they learn some darn manners :D

If you see a guy and girl with a GSD and a Rotty that'll be me...trying to be as patient as possible! Come say hello :)

Kovu's the GSD, right? I'd just take it nice and steady with him - he may remember being there before, and be OK - but if not, I'd explain to the instructor and ask if you can keep a bit of distance, and then gradually work him closer so he stays in his comfort zone. You'll be fine!

I was thinking more about it being hectic in the clubhouse when everyone is signing up!

Barb

That's a really good idea actually. My partner will be handling the GSD for at least the first lesson (thought I'd better give him the easier one!) so I'll let him know...should hopefully help a lot.

It will be hectic in the clubhouse, such a tiny thing it is too :love:

Hey Barb,

I was wondering since you do agility whether you knew if there is a new beginners agility class starting at the domain soon? I was gonna ask Debbie at Eastern Shore Dog Club today if they had one soon (at that club), but I got a call and had to run off quickly before I could ask....

I've been meaning to get my GSD into an agility class since last year, but just got too bogged down with school work and socializing... :o

Hey Shekhina - sorry I missed you guys today. I was taking a class down at Southern, and didn't get up to Hobart till after 2.15. I did look across to where your class was, and things seemed to be going well. Then I had to get my guys out - bit of weaving practice with Kirra, and then Fergus out for Grade 4. I gathered things went fine in your class. Sounds like Kovu coped well.

Agility Girl, I think Beginners agility at the Domain is 12.30 - 1.15 - starting from next week. Don't know that Eastern Shore quite knows what they're offering in the way of agility yet. Deb isn't taking classes this year - pressure of work. We had a bit of a trial class practice this morning there, but it was pretty DIY!

Hope to catch up with you guys next week.

Barb

Hi Sonya

Jody will be running an Agility beginnners course at HCOC as soon as she has enough to fill the class. If you can come up to the club next week and register we will probably start a new course within the next few weeks..Liz

Ah ok, thanks Barb!

Hi Liz! I havn't seen you for awhile! How are you, Cleo and Bailey going?

We're already reg. with the HCOC (I think its still upto date, have to check as I havn't been there for awhile :o ). I'm going away to a friend's shack next weekend (last weekend of partying, promise!), but I will definitly come over to HCOC weekend after! Any particular time I should drop by?

Hope you and your pups are well. Will catch you soon!

Ooh more Hobart people ;)

Class went OK today...Daegon was absolutely stuffed by the heat I think and so didn't really play up...except he wont stay still :o

Kovu has done it all before so he wasn't too bad, my partner had a bit of a tug of war with him before it all started though, but he settled down pretty quickly.

There were so many people there today!! And so many little dogs :p It's going to be a good fear confronter for me having to be around small dogs every week :p

Kovu may not be there next week, I have no idea how he's done it but he's cut one of his front paws and the skin is hanging off it. He can't put much weight on it the poor thing. So he's all bandaged up and crated for a while. Hope he's feeling better soon, he looks so miserable. I might just let him sleep on the bed with me tonight.

Hi again Sonia

If you can email me your details and your dogs name/age etc and a phone number I will get your information to Jody. She will then be able to get in touch with you in relation to class time etc. Bailey is as loopy as ever (can you believe he's in masters now) but at the moment recovering from surgery (grass seed). Cleo is just gorgeous!!

Liz

Oh, poor Kovu - I do hope he feels better soon, and that the paw heals quickly.

It was busy yesterday, wasn't it. And hot (don't laugh, mainland people - remember the temps given on TV etc are shade temps - and there's a big difference when our hot Tasmanian sun comes out - right guys?). I think the basically black dogs feel the heat more than others - mine were quite hot.

Barb

Yep it was quite hot. Temps here are stronger than temps on the mainland, they really are. I got quite burnt and now have a lovely red burn line where my clothes were sitting :p

Daegon feels the heat quite badly so hopefully next week wont be quite as warm for him. I was surprised how well he did for a dog who has the attention span of a flea, maybe he was just putting on a good show for his first time and from now on he'll be the bugger he is at home :o