Glucosamine

helen

Hi. Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts about the use of Glucosamine as a preventative for problems, am considering using it to prevent injuries for Bella as she does agility and is now 6 (she does not show any signs of problems which is why am I asking if people consider it to be a good preventative)

I use the Flexicose for my Cavalier who has HD. We were using the human one, but I clicked the one pets when I reordered and there is no difference. The main thing that I was told with these products is that it ? rebuilds the fluid between the cartlidge and keeps the joints moving. So maybe if your girl is 6 and doing agility, it would be of benefit. They say that the liquid is more easily absorbed and I find that it doesn't upset her tummy like the human pawder and tablets.

We used glucosamine but more recently msm - such products are actually cheaper from herbal places we use - Country Park Animal Herbs.

Cavsrule - I checked the bottle, it is definatly a human knee on the bottle.

Hazz, do you use this to prevent injury? the product I mentioned does also contain msm.

We used glucosamine but more recently msm - such products are actually cheaper from herbal places we use - Country Park Animal Herbs.

Hazz, do you use this to prevent injury? the product I mentioned does also contain msm.

Yes we use it to both prevent injury and aid in recovery but since using the supplements for prevention we have not had any injuries.

You will find that most glucosamine/chondroiton products will have some form of msm as it helps them both work more effectively.

Glucosamine/Chondroitin are excellent for prevention of injury or future arthritis in active dogs, but remember to keep these things in mind:

Glucosmamine - this stimulates the growth of cartilage cells, important when there is already damage in the joint and you need to rebuild the amount of healthy cartilage.

Chondroitin sulfate - this fights the enzymes that break down cartilage to prevent further decay.

So really if you are looking for a product to help PREVENT damage to the cartilage then you should really buy a product that is high in chondroitin sulfate as this is the preventative and protective agent, otherwise you really are wasting your good money (and these products are all very expensive!).

When treating dogs look for a product that contains close to equal amounts of chondroitin and glucosamine, and preferably a low molecular weight chondroitin (ie. easier to absorb). Its also advisable to buy a product that is registered with the APVMA (Australian governing body over all veterinary products sold here) as they carefully scrutinise how the product is made and the ingredients used, overseas products are not regulated like ours are so there are no guarantees of quality.

Also when you are buying a glucosamine/chondroitin product look at what evidence they have that supports its effectiveness, not just testimonials. Only a few products worldwide have had actual clinical studies done to prove they work, and you can request these from the company to make sure you are getting what you pay for.

Don't forget to check out the great Australian-made glucosamine/chondroitin product for dogs, horses and humans, and when you buy online they actually work out cheaper than overseas versions and we can provide all the clinical data you need to prove it works :D

Haha how funny I just looked at the Flexicose website to see what clinical evidence they use to support the efficacy of their product and they are using the GAIT trial which was our study :D

We did this study on our human product Cosamin (which is exactly the same as the dog product Cosequin) in conjunction with our US partner and the US Institutes of Health.

Oh well I guess when the competition start using your clinical evidence that should be considered sought of a complement shouldnt it :o

Thanks for the replies. I know Flexicose is the one recommended by my vets which is how I ended up with that one. I am also trying it myself too as my knee creaks a bit going up stairs, I must say though it tastes disgusting - give it a taste test CavsRcute

Nature Vet - what are the great Australian products?

Helen

Hi, I use a glucosomine/msm/chondroitin formula for my dogs when they are working (obediance & retrieving in the past - and again one day!) I also use it myself - the same stuff.

It did seem to assist the dogs from stiffening up and I can vouch for the help it gave me.

I am a long term lupus sufferer, whilst most of my symptoms are under control I used to get really bad joint pain, especially after a week-end at a retrieving trial with all the paddock walking - I'd just about be in tears....got onto this stuff and the difference for me was amazing!

(I call it my magic white powder...!)

Hope it works for your Brits!

Annie Carlin and Clancy

Nature Vet - what are the great Australian products?

We make Cosequin here is Austalia (it is also available in the US through our partner company where it is the number 1 product recommended by vets) and also Joint Guard (contains MSM) which is available for Horses and will be available for dogs from March 1. These both have safety and efficacy studies.

There is also a good human grade product called Cosamin which is made here and has clinical evidence to support its use.

Hope this helps, check out the online pet stores for the best prices and watch this space for Joint Guard :rolleyes:

Haha how funny I just looked at the Flexicose website to see what clinical evidence they use to support the efficacy of their product and they are using the GAIT trial which was our study  :rolleyes:

We did this study on our human product Cosamin (which is exactly the same as the dog product Cosequin) in conjunction with our US partner and the US Institutes of Health.

Oh well I guess when the competition start using your clinical evidence that should be considered sought of a complement shouldnt it  :rolleyes:

isn't research normally available to everyone in the animal health world?

It is in human medicine. Immediately.

This is just a general interest question as I was surprised that you would think that other trials would need to be used if yours are conclusive.

:rolleyes: scrap all that just looked at the website, sorry :rolleyes:

Edited by Rusky

isn't research normally available to everyone in the animal health world?

It is in human medicine. Immediately.

This is just a general interest question as I was surprised that you would think that other trials would need to be used if yours are conclusive.

scrap all that just looked at the website, sorry 

There are lots of trials done on the ingredients used in products, for eg trials on glucosamine or chondroitin to show efficacy in treating joint disease, but rarely trials done on the actual product, using the exact ingredients, ratios etc.

Our trial was done on our capsule so you know it works, and we use a patented form of chondroitin that is easy-to-absorb that is exclusively found in Cosequin, so although other companies might say "glucosamine and chondroitin such as the ones used in our product has been shown to be effective" that isnt exactly true.

Of course the information is free to use within the industry, and as i said it is flattering that they have used our trial as evidence, but at the end of the day it is a totally different product (just look at the amount of chondroitin actually in that Flexicose, it is minimal).

Hopefully that explains my statement a little better :rolleyes:

Why not use Glucosamine for dogs? There are specific products that are for dogs only. I use it for my 3 yr old Golden Retriever who has arthritis does wonders for her and much better to give due to the smaller sized tablets.

I buy it in a 90 tablet bottle but can also get in 250 tablets (Beef Flavoured). I get the Aristopet Brand bought from pet supply stores but you may want to ring them up before you go there as they dont all have them. Some pet shops sell them also.

They do have a webite but the product is not shown there. So you can just email them for stockists nearest to you.

www.aristopet.com.au

If you want to get their email address just go to contact us on their website.

Good Luck with it anyway.