Has Anyone Tried

Hi I normally buy supercoat for purina one but my dogs will only eat if if they have to, i went shopping and saw VIP meaty muesli so thought i would try it out bella loved it she ate it as soon as i put it in the bowl, what i want to know is this ok for them as i will keep buying it if it is.

http://www.vippetfoods.com.au/dogfood/dry/...+Muesli/1.26kg/

Guest LittlePixie

I wouldn't use it.

It's mostly cereal (ie... cheap filler that has no real nutritional value for your dog), and it's coloured. By the looks of it, the only reason it tastes so good is that it's covered in honey!

You'd be better off continuing with Supercoat and adding a bit of honey mixed with warm water to it, IMO.

Hi!

I myself feed Royal Canin - which I find fantastic! I have always been interested in the musli - however was put off when one of my friend changed her German shepherd onto it and it got a twisted bowel or something. I would suggest introducing it VERY slowly if you do....

what you need to look at is that it's firsdt ingredient on the label (and the main one is cereal) - which is actually not ideal. I have been told by many people that meat should be the primary ingredient.

But then again - that is just my opinion - i'm sure a lot of people have fed the muslim and liked it.

I would try and feed a quality dry food (our dogs hate the cheaper stuff), and add some vegimite water to it - they love it just like gravy!

I hope this helps a little!

M.

Hi!

I myself feed Royal Canin - which I find fantastic! I have always been interested in the musli - however was put off when one of my friend changed her German shepherd onto it and it got a twisted bowel or something. I would suggest introducing it VERY slowly if you do....

what you need to look at is that it's firsdt ingredient on the label (and the main one is cereal) - which is actually not ideal. I have been told by many people that meat should be the primary ingredient.

But then again - that is just my opinion - i'm sure a lot of people have fed the muslim and liked it.

I would try and feed a quality dry food (our dogs hate the cheaper stuff), and add some vegimite water to it - they love it just like gravy!

I hope this helps a little!

M.

thanks i just get worried about tring new things as you dont know whats in them i almost always give her supercoat (i come from a home where my mum always gave our dogs pal dry so dont think im doing too bad and have made mum change to super coat) i want to find the best dry dog food for my budget and also that bella enjoys i dont mind spending the money if it will be better for her in the long run. so thanks

nicky

Guest LittlePixie

If you look at the ingredients, you can usually decide for yourself. :cry:

Scrap anything that contains colouring, artificial flavours or preservatives (ESPECIALLY ethoxyquin). Meat should be one of the first three ingredients - preferably the first - and meat meals are better than by-products. ;)

I think it's a very cutsie marketing ploy. An attempt to humanise dogs - feeding your dog "Muesli" for breakfast. In reality it's probably of no benefit.

Of course dogs love it - it's food isn't it??? (ok ok not every dog loves food like a lab does)

Nicky - you'll probably find that it's not terribly cost effective either!

Edited by blacklabrador

I agree with the clever marketing - you are spot on blacklabrador!

If you are a little hesitant on feeding a top premium food like Royal Canin, Hills Science Diet, or Eukanauba (due to price), then I have heard a lot of vets praise Eco Pet. It is all natural, no preservatives etc... here is their site. I have heard great things abou this - but I haven't read the label directly. And I know it is about a quarter of the price of the top brands.

http://www.ecopet.com.au/index2.html

Maybe worth investigating anyway - but I still think the permium brands are unbeatable! I personally really notice the difference in their wellbeing (coat, allergies, general health etc).

Also - with the premium foods, ask for a breeders card and you will get every 10th bag for free!

I think it's a very cutsie marketing ploy. An attempt to humanise dogs - feeding your dog "Muesli" for breakfast. In reality it's probably of no benefit.

Of course dogs love it - it's food isn't it??? (ok ok not every dog loves food like a lab does)

Nicky - you'll probably find that it's not terribly cost effective either!

black lab its cost around 6-7$ for 6 meals/bags where as a bag of super coat i buy is $9-$10 and lasts me 2 weeks with 2 dogs and super coat is suppose to be better for them.

hi

my dogs love it, but they only get it as a treet every now and then. but my dogs will fight over who gets the bird seed that has fallen on the ground lol.

definatly keep the supercoat dry (or better quality) as the main diet, and try the honey water mix or vegie mite water mix over top of the dry food. i have also made a broth every now and then to give some thing different just boiled vegies and bones, remove all bones let cool and mix in dry food and feed most dogs like this to and will eat it after being pick with the dry food.

I got a sample of the Meaty Muesli at Pet Expo and the dogs love it. My sample didn't have ingrediants listed so I have no idea what's in it. It's only been 1 sachet so far so no harm done. There are so many different foods out there, everyone has their favourites. I use Nature's Gift Tender Cuisine as training treats, the dogs love them too.

Cheers,

Corine

The amount of cereal in it wories me - my Dobe bitch bloated on Meat Bits (which also had a lot of cereal in it) when she was a baby because it fermented in her gut........so I wouldn't use it for that reason (but then I have been known to be overcautious about anything that might cause bloat, even in a dog that hasn't bloated)

I bought a box as an add-on for my girls' dinners and all bar one completely ate around every bit of the muesli! :eek:

What other posters have said is correct - it has honey making it extremely palatable, the main ingredient is cereal and it's a cute marketing ploy :laugh:

Don't waste your money - go back to Supercoat if it works for you and your dog :)

If you really want muesli for your dog, feed meat and buy the best human muesli you can and add some honey :scared:

I bought a box as an add-on for my girls' dinners and all bar one completely ate around every bit of the muesli! :eek:

What other posters have said is correct - it has honey making it extremely palatable, the main ingredient is cereal and it's a cute marketing ploy :eek:

Don't waste your money - go back to Supercoat if it works for you and your dog :)

If you really want muesli for your dog, feed meat and buy the best human muesli you can and add some honey :laugh:

i didnt really buy it for the muesli, i thought it was just another dog dry and they make it sound so good which is probably why people are buying it my other dog didnt touch it but she doesn't eat much anyway bella must take after her mum having a sweet tooth :scared: .

cheers

nicky