Do You Go Overboard?

Norskgra

I was tidying up our grooming box yet again and wondered why I have so much stuff in it. We need different brushes for our Afghan and Elkhounds but I have several of everything. I have the grooming box that I take to shows full, I have more in the pantry and more down stairs in the laundry. Some of the brushes and combs I first bought over 25 years ago when I got my first Old English and they have come in handy for the Afghan but we have still bought more stuff for him.

We have so many different types of shampoos and conditioners yet we only use the conditioner on the Afghan and now wash all the dogs with Aloveen.

I really think my daughter and I have really gone overboard on the grooming stuff. Some of the things we could use on both breeds but have got some for each breed.

It is the same with leads and everything else for them.

I am sure we have enough to open a pet warehouse! :rolleyes:

Guest cloverfdch

I am the same with collars :cheer:. We dont need much grooming stuff, just a brush, comb, rake and some rubber horse grooming mit.... the joys of having dogs with not much coat :rolleyes:.

I have stacks of collars as well. Each of our dogs have their own specific colour and everything they have is in that colour. As soon as my daughter or myself see something in their colour we have to get it for them.

Usually they only wear check chains when they go out but they still have several collars each in their own colour. Of course they have to have leads to match each collar as well.

Guest LittlePixie

I'm a bit of a collar collecter... I work in a pet supply store so I'm always seeing new products and going oooh!! That would look nice on Holly/Brody/Kaeleigh!!

I also have heaps of shampoos and conditioners... in the bathroom atm I have 5 different types :rolleyes:

Well aside from Dieter having every toy imaginable, and most of the basic black dog accessories I have cupboards FULL of brushes, sprays, shampoos/conditioners and I only have the one boy :cheer:

If you have a lot of stuff that isn't suitable for your dogs or you don't want to use it, don't forget about rescue groups :rolleyes:

I don't have much stuff - simply don't need it for labs!

I have two different types of coat stripper (see Mars Coat King thread) a metal comb with rotating teeth($2 shop) and a natural bristle soft horse brush to go over Poppy before she goes in the ring. Black chalk, Some shampoo (usually horse as it's cheaper) and some spray on coat conditioner which is used more as a perfume than anything.

For Kirri I have a Wahl groomsmen (a teeny little clipper) some cocoa butter moisturiser, a Mach 3 razor :cheer: some hair clips/bows ;) and a comb. (yes yes and an extensive wardrobe :rolleyes: )

The Boston is so short coated that she only needs a shampoo and a bit of white chalk on her white bits prior to going in the ring.

I don't think I could cope with a long coated dog!!!

If you've got a spare rubber curry comb send it my way, Olly just ate the only one that I had....being a bit of a minimalist! :)

Sorry Jaybee. That is one thing we don't have. They wouldn't work very well on the Elkhounds or Afghan. :) They have too much coat.

A long haired breed is not really that hard to manage as long as you regularly brush and wash them. The Afghan is not as hard to look after as the Old English were and I had 14 of them at one time!

Down to mainly the basics now. When I was a 'showing fanatic' I had an Ecnovan with everything and more in it. Leads, brushes, coat stuff, trollys,puppy pen, a bed for me for weekend shows, annex for the van, stove, camping gear, etc. all in it's place. Coming home from a country show, way out in the middle of nowhere, the van caught on fire. All I managed to get out were the dogs and my handbag. Not a good way to reduced your equipment!

I have become something of a collar and leash collector- especially leashes...

Plus Zara has a stuffed toy and squeaky ball collection that any small child would be proud of.

As far as grooming- just one bottle of Johnsons baby shampoo with conditioner and a rubber grooming mit.