Smelly Dog

I really can't explain the smell, it not a urine kind of smell. From her belly to the hindquarters, it's very dry. We wash her once every fortnight by a dog washer. He uses this shampoo that surpose to help with fleas and I don't know if the stuff is giving her a reaction with her skin. Her diet is manly chicken, that's the only thing she will eat. We sometimes give her charcoal bisicits because someone said that surpose to help with the smell. My dog also has a fur problem. Around near the hindquarters, her fur is like really thick and like a sheep's (before they shear it off.) And we tried brushing her every day but there is still more.

feeding just chicken is not good. dogs need some red meat in their diet as it supplies the L carnitine which white meats do not.

what is the condition of your dogs skin? is it greasy and flakey?

and what is the condition of her fur - soft or hard and brittle?

brushing alone will not help with a double coated dog..you need to be able to get right down to the skin and remove the dead fur from the coat. I use wide toothed combs and brushes but I am sure that Akita and malamute people will be able to give better advice than I can. Maybe a professional grooming session may help initially.

it sounds to me like your girl needs a professional groomer to sort out the hindquarter area. Where are you located? the fur sounds like it has matted and become felt like. If this is the case then the area will take a long time to dry, keeping the skin damp and allowing a smell to develop. If the matting is bad, she may need to be clipped.

do you feed raw meat? if so and your dog will not eat raw red meat, try giving very small pieces initially stir fried in a small amount of butter, then gradually increase the size of the pieces and lessen the cooking time, just searing the outside. This sometimes works well. you can also try adding some green veggies to her meals..very small amounts at a time - about a dessert spoon full or even a teaspoon full to start with. Just chicken is not good.

Hi there

What type of brushes are you using?. You mention that your dog gets washed once a fortnight, but does that person dry your dog thoroughly?, by this I mean with a blow dryer. With this type of coat it needs to be dried otherwise as dogbesotted has said the damp areas will smell.

With a long coat you need to get all the old dead hair out to make room for the new coat to come through and the best way to do this is to give your dog the works. It is a threefold procedure, brush, wash and then blow dry. You should look at doing this several times a year.

We tried to blowdry her fur once and she really didn't like that. Even if we gave her some treats so that she would stay still, she still couldn't. I brought a wide comb brush today and I'll see if I can get rid of the tough fur at the back. Also, can you recomend a dog shampoo that helps her smell better?

By the way, thank you dogbesotted about the red meat and vegie idea, I'll try that.

Edited by alisha_nickels

I dont know that it is a matter of a particular shampoo..I suspect that because the fur around the hindquarters is not drying quickly because it is thick and felty that may be causing the problem. I still think you should bite the bullit so to speak and get your dog professionally groomed ASAP and then you will be able to manage the coat better yourself. If a dog is well groomed, without dead fur clogging the coat they are healthier and happier as well.

I use Aloveen shampoo and conditioner but I make sure my dogs are dried off....they have no matts and felting so dry quickly.

here are two for rockhampton. But I would certainly check to see if they are experienced. I am not sure that a mobile hydrobath is what is needed I think a full grooming would be best. Clipped, if absolutely necessary, and dried. I dont know about Malamuts and Akitas but I know with maremmas ( different coats but also double and thick) that clipping is not always the best option if it can be avoided.

Doghouse On Wandal

Shop 5/ 10 Wandal Rd Wandal QLD 4700

ph: (07) 4927 5077

Rovers Mobile Hydrobath

2 McKelligett St Rockhampton QLD 4700

ph: (07) 4927 5687

As dogbesotted has said, it is more likely to be the hair around her back end. Are you using an undercoat rake?. (see in vetproductsdirect, gripsoft u/c rake). It does take a while for them to get used to the dryer but it really is the best for getting that hair out, alternatively if she is matted there and doesnt like being brushed in that area (probably cause it hurts and pulls) then you could have it clipped out and let the hair grow back and start again. When you comb, mist the coat with water.

Re groomers, if no one from WA comes in to this post, check your yellow pages and then call some. Ask what long-haired breeds they have exp. with. Ask if you can meet them and have a talk.

There are a HUGE range of shampoos avail. again ask a groomer. Most mobiles just wash and nothing else.

ooops sorry my ageing eyes saw "rock" and made up the rest LOL :rofl:

here is the yellowpages listing of dog gorromer servicing your area:

All Creatures Great & Small Grooming Service

Wellard WA 6170

ph: (08) 9439 2458

Canine Care

Safety Bay WA 6169

ph: (08) 9528 2792

Clean Dog

8 Clint Wy Calista WA 6167

ph: 0410 618 332

map

Clever Clippers Dog Grooming

17 Helena Rd Cooloongup WA 6168

ph: (08) 9592 4538

map

Clipper Southside

1 Blee Crt Rockingham WA 6168

ph: 0411 705 246

map

Cottage Pet Care Services

37 Tunnicliffe St Parmelia WA 6167

ph: (08) 9419 5724

map

Doorstep Mobile Dog Grooming

33 Azure La Warnbro WA 6169

ph: 0413 746 919

map

Flea-Stoppers

Rockingham Rockingham WA 6168

ph: 1300 303 008

map

Heavenly Mobile Dog Wash

8 William St Rockingham WA 6168

ph: 0407 986 178

map

Heavenly Mobile Dog Wash Safety Bay

16 Fountain Crt Safety Bay WA 6169

ph: 0417 171 076

map

My experience with mobile groomers is that they buy the cheapest shampoo available, usually in 20 litre containers. When I have tried to introduce them to something better they say that most of their customers would'nt know the difference.

Try using a Mars Coat King on the coat; this will thin it out and assist in allowing it to dry faster.

There are mobile groomers and mobile washers, the majority are the franchises who quite frankly I think dont give a hoot, and probably dont know anything about skin care.

I have my own service and carry a range of shampoos, I think at last count 9, then tick and flea rinses, this doesnt include stain black etc for colour enhancing which I dont generally carry in my van but have at home, three shampoos for skin problems and then conditioners.

It all boils down to what type of service you want to provide.

here are some links on grooming for malamutes and akitas:

http://www.omalmalamutes.com/omal/nails.asp

http://www.realmals.com/Grooming.htm

"" GROOMING: The Alaskan Malamute is a double-coated breed which means the coat consists of two hair-types. The undercoat is a soft, downy insulator which grows or sheds out depending on the season. The topcoat is harsher and oilier in texture and is designed to repel dirt, water and snow. With a correct coat type, the Alaskan Malamute requires little in grooming on a daily basis. A correct, harsh coat can repel dirt easily. Unless it is a show dog, a malamute needn't be bathed regularly. A daily or few-times-a-week brushing should be all that is necessary to keep the coat free of loose undercoat, mats and dirt. It is important to know that the undercoat can mat easily. If old, dead coat is not removed, via regular brushing or combing, it will pack down and mat which will trap moisture. This will provide bacteria and fungus with an ideal breeding ground and sore, irritating, ugly hot spots can result. Hot spots can become horribly infected and invite a host of escalating problems. A hardy, natural breed, yes, but grooming is still an essential part of regular care and maintenance.

Malamutes are very heavy, seasonal shedders. The trigger for shedding season seems to be the amount of daylight the dogs are exposed to. As the days grow shorter, the pituitary gland sends a signal that colder months are coming and it is time to grow a heavy coat. As the days grow longer, warmer temperatures are on the way, and it is time to drop unnecessary insulation. During shedding season, a malamute will drop copious amounts of fur. Have a pin-brush, an undercoat rake, a slicker brush and a Greyhound type comb on the ready, along with some big garbage bags. When they shed, it is essential that the owner of a malamute stick to a daily routine of brushing or combing, or hire the services of a professional groomer. Out with the old and in with the new -- a healthy, new coat cannot grow in and flourish if the old, dead coat has not been removed. If removal of dead undercoat is neglected, skin and coat problems will ensue.

Finally, your malamute's nails need to be kept short and the fur between the toes can be trimmed down to the level of the foot-pad to keep the foot strong and to provide traction. ""

http://akitanetwork.com/care/grooming.htm

I need to know how many times should my dog be brushed and how many times should she be washed. Note: she is not a show dog. I also bought a rake brush and a round hair brush thing and I brush her with it once every 3 days. Her smell is not as bad as it was before but it's still there and we haven't washed her as much as before like you surgested. Her hidquaters is really dry on the skin and her coat. What should I do? I also brought a little deoderent bottle 2 make her smell better.

hi

if you can't get the dog to a profesional groomer, this is what i would recomend (though i only have experiance with huskys not mals they have a longer coat). sit with your dog, and pull out the tuffs that you can (this is a part of blowing the coat the tuffs are usualy normal), then get your rake and go with the coat continue untill only small amounts of fur is comming out or untill you get tired lol. then use the comb to go over the brushed area, and work on any matts. to do mats just hold the matted fur tightly so it dosn't pull and using the comb brush the matt taking care not to actually pull the dogs fur, work on the matts most will come out. i would hold off the barth to, try 1 barth a mounth and dry with a towl around the rump area and request the use of conditioner, this will make the coat easer to groom.

i would be brushing the dog every 2nd day during shedding times autum and spring, and then 1 or 2 times a week non shedding times just to stop matts.

good luck and welcom to the world of dubble coated breeds

Edited by petmezz