Barf And Boarding

dougal

When I boarded mine I took their food with them, packed up in meal sized portions. I bag their wings/necks/frames and put their meat/vege whatever in Chinese containers. So I just told the kennel to divide it up with the bigger portion to the bigger dog which is all I do.

I thought it was better to do that than maybe add to their stress with different food, though I expect they'd have eaten it OK. Saves possible tummy upsets though so the kennel ought to be happy with that :thumbsup: .

They're booked in for a few days next month and I've arranged to do the same thing again.

I'm also concerned that a kennel operator may not be as hygienic with raw foods as I am at home. I have to say that the times our girls have boarded have resulted in tummy issues except the last one...the last kennel we insisted that the girls only get raw foods. Previously, we have been OK with the kennel feeding them on whatever is usual and we noticed a huge (and negative) difference when the dogs came home...processed foods just aren't as good for our dogs as is the raw, whole foods diet I follow with them at home.

If possible, choose a kennel that will feed what you feed...otherwise, choose a home-based carer b/c you *have to* supply the food yourself. :thumbsup:

When I boarded my two last year, I was in a bit if a delima about their food. In order to package up enough food to feed my two for a whole week, I think I would have needed to supply the freezer as well as the food. :thumbsup:

I boarded them at our vet and it turns out that they sell the frozen BARF patties. I just ended up telling them to feed them those so it worked out well - a bit more expensive though.

When I board my dogs I take their food with them packaged into daily lots to be divided out between them. The manager of the kennel I use (Sibe breeder/exhibitor) feeds raw to his own dogs (although the kennel itself uses dry food for boarders as their 'default') so I have no worry that he knows what he is doing.

Most kennels will feed whatever you provide for a "special needs diet".

I would be concerned about how they store and defrost your patties, mince etc, as I have worked in two kennels and I don't think that it is ever defrosted and kept as we would do at home.

I do not know of any public kennels that will allow bones to be fed to any dog boarding, regardless of if you provide them or not. They will not do so due to the risk of choking ( trying to eat quicker due to competition or lack of supervision ) and most kennels have small gaps under the cages so that they can hose out quickly. This poses a risk of fights starting over bones and also the bones going through to another cage.

Some will aloow chicken necks and wings, some will just feed dry regardless of what you provide and will just chuck your food in the bin or hand it over when you collect your dog.

Be sure to speak with them first about your expectations and if they can't fullfil them , look for another kennel that will or consider pet sitting.

I personally consider having your pets looked after in your own home a far better option and to be honest, someone calling in for a half an hour or an hour a day, is far more attention than they will ever get in a boarding kennel.

Edited by Warley

Thanks everyone for your suggestions - we're not looking at a holiday until late June, so that gives me a bit of time to search around for the right carer. I'm leaning towards an "in home" situation where I can trust the sitter to follow my wishes. I just can't imagine my two being the least bit happy in a kennel environment.

Alternatively I need to convince my Mum that she needs 7-10 days bonding with two adorable mutts :confused: