Eagle Pack Large/giant Breed Puppy Formula

I agree, always stick to what is best for your dog...

axxl, if you're using Eagle Pack Large Breed Puppy you can safely use that for quite some time. You are absolutely correct in saying that the only difference is the extra glucosamine. I know of some people using Large breed puppy for older dogs as well. It's some of the other super premium foods with a higher level of protein that breeders are referring to when they recommend changing over to adult at 5 or 6 months of age eg. Euk, ProPlan, etc. I only have my puppy (9 months) and adult bitch on Adult Eagle Pack because i'm lazy and don't want to feed different foods, plus i can get the 18kg EP quite cheap, and i also supplement with fish oil anyway for joint health.

Thanks for the replies KK & GL. I have been stressing about when to change her over and hoping that I am doing the right thing all the time! I think I will continue with the puppy formula until 12-18 months when she has finished her growing and then switch over. The adult formula is quite alot cheaper too and last time I was there Petstock had the adult formula bags with 20% extra free. Might start stocking up on the adult bags while it's cheap.

If you buy extra check out the useby date...they are still fine for a few months after that...but just keep an eye on it and keep the bags somewhere coolish if possible.

Also check the puppy against the 'performance/high energy' type food in the brand you are interested. I know in some brands there is very little difference between the two...

My Golden Retriever pup is slightly over 16 weeks now. My breeder advised me to feed him Supercoat. But I realised that he poos and drinks alot. Apparently, I was told that the reason he drinks alot is due to high level of sodium chloride(salt) in Supercoat. We are now feeding him IAMS puppy food for large breed.

I posted a topic earlier regarding the appropriate protein level in a dry food. Like what Goldielover said, my breeder also recommend me to change over to adult food at 5 months of age. She also said that the adult dry food has to contain less than 20% of protein and specifically advised against feeding him Eukanuba :rofl:

We are still undecided on when to switch over and what to switch to. The protein content in EP is not much different from the rest of the premium food. But it seems that many DOLers are feeding EP :)

axxl

I have been stressing about when to change her over and hoping that I am doing the right thing all the time!

I know what you mean ;)

goldielover

It's some of the other super premium foods with a higher level of protein that breeders are referring to when they recommend changing over to adult at 5 or 6 months of age eg. Euk, ProPlan, etc.
plus i can get the 18kg EP quite cheap

Is IAMS one of them? But IAMS is only considered a premium food right??? :rofl:

May I also ask where did you get you 18kg EP from? :love:

jodee

currently 18kgs give or take at 16 weeks

WHAT??? 18kgs at 16 weeks????

My golden retriever pup weights only 10kgs now and he is also about 16 weeks old. And I thought my pup is HUGE as compared to my other dog who is a Shih Tzu X weighing less than 5kgs :love:

edited to correct the presentation of this post

Edited by DogsLover

Hi all,

well I am back frm petstock, and think I have made a mistake, we ended up buying the RC giant junior, as they had osld out of the EP junior, and got home, opened it, fed Bronson, he loved it (75% proplan, 25% RC, for the switch over, I sat down for a real read of the bag, and it has 32% protein, is this way too much??? farout, am I ever going to get it right?

BTW, he weighed 20.1 kg, and he is exactly 17weeks, 2 days today.

Is this too much protein for a giant puppy?

thanks guys from Jodie

As to the amount of protein...it kinda depends on what book you read and what opinion you take :rofl: I think a lot also depends on having the correct ratio of protein and everything else required...

I have personally seen a Bullmastiff,3 Danes and 1 Dogue who were brought up on RC Giant...from baby puppy to puppy to junior to adult...except one Dane who is still on junior. The owners i spoke to are happy with their condition (the BM flatly refuses to eat anything else...lol) and the dogs have grown nicely and not two quickly. I've had other giant breed owners tell me about how their dogs have gone but those listed are the ones i've actually seen in the last 6 months or so...at various age stages. (and have spoken to owners of other breeds who have been happy with the brands they use, and a couple who have fed barf/raw diets and been happy)

I'm sure others will be able to tell you of other pups who have grown to quick, or had other problems. But i'm not convinced that it's necessarily food related as such...more perhaps that the food the dog was on...didn't suit the dog. I mean i tried Barf on my GSD...it didn't suit him and i was having to feed over 1kg a day just to keep him from looking liked i starved him, let alone some other issues. But since i 'discovered' RC and have had him on it he's grown very nicely, which is just one of the reasons i'm growing my GSD pup on it now.

Just occured to me...BARF is mostly meaty bones...so that would make it a high protien diet?

Jodee - please don't panic! RC Giant Junior is a lovely food and we have successfully raised a number of Saints on it.

As far as protein is concerned - not all proteins are created equal. One thing about Eagle Pack is that is generally contains at least THREE protein sources - eg Chicken, Pork and Fish. Or Sardine, Anchovy and Salmon.

At present, for people wanting to try EP, we have both Maintenance, and Natural Adult available on a buy one get one free promo in the 3kg bags. We also have the larger bonus bags too - and yes, EP does have a 100% money back guarantee, as does all the premium/super premiums.

Hope that helps!

Sags

:rofl:

:mad Thanks guys,

I feel reasurred thanks to your comments, we will be keeping him on the RC, and look at the EP later on, I want to see what the RC does to him, which Im sure can only be good things, I went and looked at the PPlan bag, and it was 28% anyway, so it isnt that much difference, and the way I see it, is that if it wasnt healthy for a giant breed, it wouldnt exist, and be so popular etc, now, the main thing is that Bronson loves it, and is gutsing it, which he certainly didnt do with the proplan, and he has gone a day, I know, its only 1 day, but he hasnt thrown up once today! :mad

I will keep you posted to his progress.

Sagittarian, where do you work, pm me if you like. (can you get EP giant puppy in the 15kg bags?

cheers from Jo

One more thing, and Im sorry for turning this thread away from the OP, sorry,

what is the talk about coat condition, eg, our last ddbx had not great coat, it was dull, he left fur EVERYWHERE he went, and he smelt too much like a dog, he wasnt on super premium, only a premuim, would the super make a difference to Bronsons coat as opposed to coopers?

Some SP foods work for some dogs better then others but you'll soon see if the RC works for him and later if you go to the EP you can go from there.

With your other Dogue it could have just been a matter of something in the premium food didn't suit him. However it might be worth looking into something to help strip the dead coat out of your current boy (I know a BM that is shedding like a lab at the moment :mad ) Dead coat can make a dog smell...well...doggy. So if the coat starts looking dull...get out the rubber brush or which ever type you find gets out the dead coat.

• 2 months later...