Gsp Sleep Indoors Or Outdoors

~Sasha~

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi i am new and i am getting a puppy soon. But i am a bit upset because my mum said that when we get a dog it has to sleep outside :( Is this cruel?

I know that dogs are pack animals and love to be with people but can they get company from other pets such as cats?

Oh and i will be around him alot in the day and so will my mum. So don't think that i will just leave him and stuff. NO WAY would i do that!

Edited by puppy_soon

Hi.

I think there is heaps more experienced people on this forum than me. I think as long as the dog has a shelter from the cold and the heat and has fresh water and food it should be fine. Also some breeds need different attention. If you take him out and play with him he should be fine.

Maybe ask a question in the main discussion area to get some good ideas on the right breed for you :(

My old dog loved being with my cat but he was a very indoors dog.

Hi.

I think there is heaps more experienced people on this forum than me. I think as long as the dog has a shelter from the cold and the heat and has fresh water and food it should be fine. Also some breeds need different attention. If you take him out and play with him he should be fine.

Maybe ask a question in the main discussion area to get some good ideas on the right breed for you :(

My old dog loved being with my cat but he was a very indoors dog.

Thankyou he will live in a kellen with lots of blankets and things on our back verandah. I hear that a hot water bottel and a ticking clock can help them settle in?

Hi sash. Ive had GSPs for quite some time and yes Douglas the Dyson takes pride of place in my household because of the short course hair that gets in the carpet....GSPs are best if left unspoilt, but its just so dam hard not to spoil them. I'd look at a crate in the laundry or somewhere nearby when it first comes, say for a week. then put its crate in the garage or somewhere covered, with a cover over the crate. then it knows it sleeps there and it is safe.

You will probably have a sleepless night or two, but when they are tired, boy they just sleep. Try and get him/her in the morning if you can to get him/her used to your surroundings. Whatever you do, when its outside, and it crys when you leave it, dont go back....just like a human baby....:cry: Crying and returning to it, recipe for disaster... :(

IT will be so hard not to comfort the pup outside. I have had two children. I know what its like. Not very good at ignoring the crying.

Thanks for your help :rolleyes:

Edited by ~Sasha~

Hi,

I posted about 2 weeks ago re new GSP pup barking and whining my bitch is 10 mths old and was already living outside she has settled fantastic outside being right next to the back door she does enjoy a walk around the house but being older and bigger she is a bit excitiable and jumps on everything (training required). She has a nice big kennel with lots of nice pillows and old clothes she loves it. To all those who replied to my post 10 mth old GSP barking thanks for all the great advice it really helped. She is so smart already learing to sit, stay, and come. Loves taking the kids to school and cant get close enough to you any chance she gets. Cant wait to see her in the field to do her trade "hunting" (sorry to all the consrvationist).

Hey Sacha

I am now on my second GSP pup (as you saw in the photos). I live in Canberra where it is cold at night. Bella is an outside dog but sleeps in the laundry. She has a baby gate so the heating works in there. She comes into the lounge room in the evening now.

Bella loves being outside as she can burn off a lot of energy. She rarely feels the cold even though she has a short coat. She even made me take her for a walk in the snow last year!

With Bruno who arrived last week, I am doing the same. He lives outside during the day with free access to the heated laundry. He is happy as larry. When he gets a bit older and can listen to commands I will let him in the lounge room for a while as well.

With crying and barking, I was surprised to hear about the barking GSP, Bella and Bruno barely bark. Bella only barks when someone walks past the house and she is probably the quietest dog on the street. The first week I got her home she howled for hours each night. This stopped and has never returned. Bruno only whimpers quietly for a minute as he's going to sleep (maybe cause he has Bella as well).

I have heard that there is a lot of differences with GSP temperament so I bought mine from a breeder with good temperament dogs. Bella is absolutely lovely dog, she talks to me with her eyes and we have a great relationship.

For entertainment, doing training with her and teaching her tricks makes her so happy, no doubt due to the working breed; we walk everyday and play fetch for up to an hour a day (in sessions). Fetching wears her out better than walking anyday. One thing I found with Bella is any sign that I am unhappy with her and she misbehaves terribly. If we have had a disagreement I then have to sit and give her a cuddle, then she behaves beautifully again.

Good luck with your puppy and let me know if you want more information. I now have a 21/2 year GSP database in my head! I also have neighbours with 3GSPs and another with 1.

Thanks BellasPerson. Your Bella sounds so nice. I really nice sensitive personality. I was surprised to hear about the barking because it didn't match with my research.

Thanks for the offer for information I will probably take you up on that offer later :cool:

I'm on the same problem atm.. My 11wo pup has been sleeping in my room for the last week.. But he will fall sleep on the couch so i take him into my room and onto his bed.. As soon as he gets to my room he is wide awake and ready to play.. He wont go to sleep till at least 1am. Is he to yuoung to sleep outside with a kennel, pillow and his blanket?

Sacha, I look forward to some photos when the pup arrives.

Devo, The only way to stop the waking at night is not to play. Bruno tried this on all weekend. I let him out to wee, gave him a pat and put him in his crate. He whimpered and tried to play then slept soundly. He tried this every hour for two nights and now sleeps through. Yippee!!

Good luck!

Thanks!

I havent yet crate trained devo but it's looking more and more like i should.. Can you just crate train for bed time.. He is ok when he's in the loungeroom with me watching tv. it's only when i want to go to sleep and he doesnt.

Devo, I have an 8 week old Border Collie pup that sleeps outside. We live in canberra so it gets very cold at night. We put her kennel in our garage so the frosts dont get to her, and packed it full of blankets. She gets a hotwater bottle at night and is fine with it. Sometimes it seems warmer in her kennel than in my bed hehe.

Cheers

I only use the crate for bedtime or when I go out. I find it helpful to put Bruno to bed half an hour before I go to bed so he has stopped crying by the time I want to go to sleep.

Crate or laundry training is the way to go. Dogs feel much more comfortable if they only have a little area to defend from burglars.

Thanks!

I really think that he should slowly start to become an outside sleeping doggy... It's going to be to hard when i work some nights, or want to go out..

I might start leaving him outside for a little bit longer each night after i feed him.. Also my house mates arnt too keen on him being inside of a night.

But he will still come in when i get home from work and then out after he is fed then in during the day on the weekends.

Haha Im having the same problem with my house mates. Toilet training has proved a little too stressful for them and elmo is being ordered outside when Im not there. Hes still gonna sleep inside ( I love my little sleeping tablet. Without him I don't think I could fall asleep now!), so I guess Ive got the oppisite problem! Im just gonna keep him occupied with toys hanging from the deck so he can run and jump around at them for ages. I think he mostly sleeps at the moment inside during the day. Bit worried bout barking though... or being attacked by another dog, or cold, or fighting with the cats or anything! Im sure it will be fine though!